Posted: Aug. 27 2003, 09:19

You can find them on this website (-:

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 27 2003, 12:05

... and there also is a very interesting article by Richard Carter a.k.a. Korgscrew about them.

Lyrics

...and...

...Richard's article.

:) :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: April 02 2004, 18:31

It's a great article! But I have a question:

You can hear not merely Diana, Luna and Lucina but also something like 'Lune' or 'Lumen' in Part One at 14:12, 15:03, and more clearly in Part Two at 8:25, 9:32, 9:49 and 10:32. What could it be?

(Anyway, is this topic connected with Incantations? I can't speak French.)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: April 02 2004, 19:05

I looked after it...

Here is the answer that it wasn't connected. :)

According to the "Moon Magick" page it's really "Lumen". So this is a new moon spell, more precisely an incantation, isn't it?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
c_haese Offline

Posted: April 03 2004, 01:48

By the way, Lumen is the latin word for Light.

-Carsten
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 04 2004, 23:34

Words--chants--incantations--can be ingredients to a spell. A spell is more than a recitation of words. In this case, it sounds like D-L-L-L is used as an incantation to invoke the powers of the New Moon for the purposes of spellcraft.

In all the years of listening to Incantations, I never picked up the "Lumen." Considering my penchant for mis-hearing lyrics, this is not surprising.  :)

EeTon--this particular topic is fascinating to me. I will be attending an Esbat (full moon ritual) this week that will be led by a Dianic priestess. She's not come across this particular incantation and we are very curious about its provenance. That she's unfamiliar with it isn't surprising as there are many Dianic traditions. I had always assumed the Dianic chant of Incantations was composed by Mike, BTW. To be continued.... ???    :O

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: April 05 2004, 19:11

Quote (Inkanta @ April 05 2004, 06:34)
I will be attending an Esbat (full moon ritual) this week that will be led by a Dianic priestess.

Oh, is it a coincidence or was it Incantations that inspired you? :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: April 07 2004, 00:15

Quote (EeToN @ April 05 2004, 19:11)
Oh, is it a coincidence or was it Incantations that inspired you? :)

Well, James Redfield of the Celestine Prophecy (a book Mike read and liked) would say that there are no coincidences.  :)  
Incantations certainly inspired me, but not in that way.

The first time I ever heard Inc I had mononucleosis and was taking some pretty heavy med for an associated sore throat. The local radio station played it in its entirety and I instantly fell in love with it. Thru the haze of antibiotics I thought of how it could be choreographed (besides studying & working I danced ballet back then). Although I was banned from dance, running, & biking (but not horseback riding cos the doc was clueless about the effort involved in our instructor-imposed 30 min. of posting), I began dancing anyway.

Dancing to transformational music is powerful, and I certainly drew focus & strength from it, and especially from the Dianic chant. Dancing to Inc probably assisted the healing process, i.e., with the mind-body connection. Incantations helped the mind to be at the right "place" to help the body recover.  :)  It effected change. That's what some would call spellwork. Over the years, the dance to Inc has changed a bit, but not the focus. I still find Part I very centering. Ben Jonson's Hymn to Diana is more prayerful IMO. That probably doesn't make a lot of sense. :/  Incantations occupies a very special place, and I always feel differently at the conclusion--and much more so when dancing with it than running to it (tho that can be great, too).

BTW--the priestess is still looking into that "new moon spell." We talked about it tonight after ritual (had to do tonight because last night's full moon was in the "void of course").  She is well-read on Dianic traditions but hasn't come across that chant. Tomorrow (cos guess who forgot to take it along tonight?) I'm dropping off Incantations to her. She's not heard it, and I'll be interested in her reaction.

--------------
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: April 21 2004, 20:12

Quote (Inkanta @ April 07 2004, 07:15)
She's not heard it, and I'll be interested in her reaction.

Me, too. What did she say about it? :)

Your story is fascinating to me. For my part, I've practically never danced to any music and I don't think I will. It's rather my soul which jumps out of my skin for joy during e.g. Incantations. ;)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: April 28 2004, 23:06

Operating on pagan time (meaning other than in my work life, things get done when they get done)  :O  I finally dropped off Incantations on the morning of the New Moon (4.19)!

T'was a gorgeous trip to deliver Incantations to her, though-- Incantations in the CD player, driving top down through a clear and warming day, the sun streaming directly in, precisely at the time of the New Moon, was connecting. At any New Moon, when you’re looking in the direction of the Sun, the Moon is not far away—sometimes even “touching” the Sun, as seen from some parts of the planet that very day. When the moon is new, the two celestial bodies walk through the skies in close proximity; the moon dances further away from the sun each day, until when two weeks later, it rises full upon the setting of the sun.  Then the gap tightens again. A beautiful, celestial dance. So….at New Moon you have the bright sun and the dark, hidden moon.  Diana, Luna, Lucina--there someplace--and Lumen—Light. Does the chant encourage the return of the moon to fullness the way that winter solstical rituals/chants encourage the return of the sun? I dunno…at any rate…the New Moon is a time for meditation, and that chant is a perfect accompaniment.

I’m not the only one to have these thoughts since you identified “Lumen,” but its inclusion connects Part I more solidly to Part IV. Diana, Luna, Lucina—LUMEN—light! “Hesperus entreats thy light…Goddess excellently bright…”

Well, hopefully, she’ll have listened to it by Beltane (this coming Saturday) or the Full Moon (4 May), and there will be more to pass along besides my ramblings.   :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: May 09 2004, 20:22

No one in the local pagan community has ever heard this chant--except when I broke out into it (well, D-L-L) a couple Mabons ago when the fullish moon rose after our circle (I had forgotten about that). Nor can they find the source of origin.

There are other avenues to explore, which I will.

BTW, I had emailed the owner of that website & never heard back (wonder if she ever received it, or if her response came after my addie had changed?). I thought maybe she'd know the source (could it even have been Incantations??). If Mike appropriated the chant from someplace other than his brain, it would have behoved him to say so. At least on Voyager, he references the pieces that are from folk traditions. It would have been nice in this case, too (e.g., chant from the X tradition).

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 09 2004, 20:58

Quote (Inkanta @ May 10 2004, 01:22)
At least on Voyager, he references the pieces that are from folk traditions.

Yes, although he got half of them wrong and credited them as traditional when they weren't ;)

There are certainly some other avenues to explore, and I'll have a go at pursuing some of them too if I get a chance. I'm rather suspicious that so few sources on the net quote that 'spell'. There are a few other things which have me wondering as well...we'll see what can be found out.
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: May 09 2004, 21:08

These are very interesting additions to the understanding of Incantations what you've said, Inkanta!

If Mike appropriated the chant from someplace other than his brain, it would have behoved him to say so. At least on Voyager, he references the pieces that are from folk traditions. It would have been nice in this case, too (e.g., chant from the X tradition).

Mike said in an interview in 2002 this (I translated it from Hungarian, so maybe not accurate):
"During recording of the double LP Incantations, I contacted the Druids, the company of ancient priests because I needed spells. So these strange Druids came to my house and gave me spells, incantations so that I could get inspiration from the spiritual world with their help. It's eerie but one of the compositions' most beautiful part was just like a prophecy. It evoked the spirit of Diana, who appeared five year later as Princess Diana. There's something weird in this all."

Strange that he didn't mention the moon at all, only Princess Diana. I'm also very curious about the source.

P.S. Isn't a complete English version of this interview available anywhere on the net?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: May 09 2004, 21:26

Anyway, can anybody tell me what Tim says here? :) And of course, what's Naoki's answer?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: May 09 2004, 22:09

So these strange Druids came to my house and gave me spells, incantations so that I could get inspiration from the spiritual world with their help. It's eerie but one of the compositions' most beautiful part was just like a prophecy. It evoked the spirit of Diana, who appeared five year later as Diana princess. There's something weird in this all."

Very interesting, indeed. Thanks for sharing, EeToN! There's something weird, all right--several things, actually: 1) "strange Druids?" Wonder if they listen to his music and how they feel about that?; 2) their spells of inspiration worked pretty well for Incantations--maybe he should invite them back;  :p 3) I'm surprised that Druids would use a chant comprised only of Roman names of the triple goddess (the goddess by any name is still a goddess, tho); 4) Princess Diana as *the* Diana? Actually, when I was in London this past December, I picked up several pagan/Wiccan magazines, and one contained an article on that very topic--well, sort of (must hunt for that, now.....)

You've established that he was probably exposed to the chant by the Druids--it would have been nice had he mentioned that in the liner notes.

--------------
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: May 09 2004, 23:05

Quote (Inkanta @ May 10 2004, 04:09)
1) "strange Druids?" Wonder if they listen to his music and how they feel about that?; 2) their spells of inspiration worked pretty well for Incantations--maybe he should invite them back;  :p 3) I'm surprised that Druids would use a chant comprised only of Roman names of the triple goddess (the goddess by any name is still a goddess, tho); 4) Princess Diana as *the* Diana? Actually, when I was in London this past December, I picked up several pagan/Wiccan magazines, and one contained an article on that very topic--well, sort of (must hunt for that, now.....)

You've established that he was probably exposed to the chant by the Druids--it would have been nice had he mentioned that in the liner notes.

This interview was broadcasted on a Hungarian TV channel - in connection with the release of Tres Lunas.

1) Do you think that Druid priests may like or dislike Incantations? I'm also wondering. :)
2) That would be surprising. :D But I don't think he wants to repeat himself. ;)
3) Interesting question. I don't know anything about this topic but lots of pages can be fouind on the net which contains also Druids, Diana, Luna and Lucina. There are some MSN groups about the matter.
4) I don't know if it's interesting but I found a page about Diana and the coincidences.

And I agree that the Druids would have deserved some words on the liner notes. Only Longfellow and Jonson is mentioned. But who knows, maybe Maddy Prior is a Druid. :D

Moon Stuff is a page about the moon magic and goddesses.

P.S. I hope you don't mind I edited (corrected) my previous message about the name of Princess Diana.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 10 2004, 09:35

Tim seems to be congratulating those people on their work - I presume the website. He gives those words as a greeting to Naoki, she asks what they are, whether they're an incantation. Nothing useful there...

I don't see much of use amongst those MSN groups either, though there is I think a Dutch group which has a copy of the spell amongst its files.

It's certainly strange though - I've never seen Mike mention this before anywhere. The only reference I remember him seeing make to the lyrics in Incantations before this was him saying that he'd picked The Song Of Hiawatha purely because it was written in a particular meter (that is, rhythmic pattern). I'm not really convinced that's true, but there you go...

The incantation evoking Diana certainly makes sense, especially with the word lumen inviting Diana to bring light. I'd always taken that word to be something like 'luneh' and assumed it was insignificant, so thanks for pointing that out. We then have a sequence - from Part One inviting the moon to bring light, Part Two where evening comes and Venus appears and Part Four where Venus further invites the moon to appear and 'make a day of night'.

However, I do still find Mike's answer about 'strange druids' a little odd...but I guess that's a very Mike thing to say!
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: May 10 2004, 15:01

We then have a sequence - from Part One inviting the moon to bring light, Part Two where evening comes and Venus appears and Part Four where Venus further invites the moon to appear and 'make a day of night'

and Part 3 ignores all that and concentrates just on making good music :)

Not to say I don't like the other parts too
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: May 11 2004, 00:58

[quote=Jammer,May 10 2004, 15:01][/quote]
We then have a sequence - from Part One inviting the moon to bring light, Part Two where evening comes and Venus appears and Part Four where Venus further invites the moon to appear and 'make a day of night'

Very nice tie-in, Korg! BTW....speaking of Venus, there is a transit coming up on 8 June. Very rare event--one that none of us has ever witnessed.

and Part 3 ignores all that and concentrates just on making good music

:D  :D (So what is the deal with part III???)

EeToN, responding to your comments:

1) Today, Druidism gets thrown under the Neopagan umbrella of traditions, but I’m fairly sure that druid practices have been whispered from generation to generation, and that there is nothing “neo” about some of them. Who knows what group came knocking on Mike’s door. :) Regarding how druids and other pagans feel about Incantations, it’s a matter of personal choice, like with anything else, I suppose.  I love Incantations. Love it. Over the years, I’ve run into other pagan folk around Planet Oldfield, and they think a lot of it, too. Whether or not any of them consider themselves “druids” I don’t know. BTW, here is a good site that explains the differences in druidic traditions and there are links to the other pagan paths as well.

2) I don’t want him to repeat himself, either. I was suggesting that since inviting the druidfolk over inspired him to do Inc, that maybe inviting them back would inspire him to do something grand, but not Inc II.

3) Indeed!

4) Will have to explore (will also have to find that magazine that is hiding around here someplace)!  :/

--------------
Profile PM 
20 replies since Aug. 27 2003, 07:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net