Poll choices Votes Statistics
Part 1 26  [29.21%]
Part 2 2  [2.25%]
Part 3 21  [23.60%]
Part 4 40  [44.94%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations, What's the best part of Incantations< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
galuhen Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 22 2003, 11:12

I was just wondering what the general thought was about the 4 parts of Incantations.
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2003, 11:33

My favourite parts are definitly part 3 and 4...
Part 3 is a pure masterpiece in my opinion.starts with a cherfull theme and the long guitar solo in the middle is really moving..but i voted on part 4 - it has more mysterious atmosphere (vibraphone part) and is more experimental in some moments.and of course there's a memorable vocal finale with Maddie Pryor!

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2003, 14:11

part 4 is the one..just wonderful..part 1 is very good too

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2003, 14:55

All of the above.
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2003, 19:12

The funny thing is that Incantations is my favorite MO album, maybe due to the looooong three year wait for it :p
But even though I love it all, I could answer this poll so easily and thats always been part 4.

I think its that build up of all the running themes, all coming together for the big finale.

I just hope Mike will come up with a new masterpiece as good as or better than the above album.

If so then I will be very happy.

Cheers MO fan  :D
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2003, 20:33

Definately Part Four, although Part Three is really good as well. I really like the huge guitar solos in both these parts, but Maddy Prior's singing at the end of Part Four makes it my favourite. I find parts One and Two sort of boring, but Three and Four make up for it.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
kmb63 Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2003, 05:39

I love the entirety of Incantations but I have to agree with others that Part 4 is definitely my favorite.

If I had to rank them:

Part 4
Part 1
Part 3
Part 2

Part 1 goes ahead of Part 3 (for me) because of those incredible flutes at the end of it.

--------------
Ken

"The Milky Way's a fine sight to see..."
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2003, 10:17

My fav is Part 3 because of the wonderful 'fanfare' opening. :) But I like 'em all in no particular order. Only thing I don't like in Inc. is the last 8 minutes of Part 2, because of the monotony of the Hiawatha (sp.?) poem. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2003, 11:15

Part 4,for its wonderful ending.Then comes part 1,3 and 2,in this order...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
sEIGu Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2003, 20:46

voted part III....

but only the wembley version :)

powerful... climactic... phillips on drums gives the excerpt a real bombastic drive... gr8 guitar...

my fav livetrack ever...

--------------
sEIGu
Profile PM 
Dude Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2003, 05:05

I'd love to hear that live-version.

This poll would have been easier for me if the question had been 'Which part do you like the least?' That would be part 2, which I find a little less moving.
I really can't pick a favourite amongst the other parts, I love them all.

--------------
Fortunately I've been adhering to a pretty strict drug regimen to keep my mind limber.
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 08 2003, 09:22

Either Part 1 or Part 4. I love Part 3 to death but only part of it :). And the only part I like being the part Mike decided to leave out of all the live concerts. The other parts are good too, but that one part is my favourite. But anyway, either Part 1 or 4 because I like the whole of both of them. Part 1 has the great Diana thing and everything else is really good, too, but then Part 4 builds up so nicely and and ends with the awesome Q&H. So I can't choose.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 31 2004, 07:27

Fwow. I realised this is tougher than I thought. For me, really, the whole is infinitely better than the sum of its parts. Incantations is one magnificent, mindblowing masterpiece, and it's just too difficult for me to choose a favourite part. In the end, I picked Part 1, mostly because of the way it works as a sort of "journey" through the whole album, before the themes sink in deeper. Part 3 comes next, with the energy, and the incredibly tense second half with the drums and synths and all. Part 2 and 4 are slightly inferior. I don't mind the Hiawatha poem on Part 2, but maybe it was overdone. Part 4 is beautiful, too, but the tension and mood it creates is more important than the music itself... for my ears. I dunno. Incantations is fantastic, easily one of my top Oldfield albums ever.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Guimauve2 Offline

Posted: April 03 2004, 20:14

Definitely part 4.  Part 3 is OK, but I never took the the time to listen to it properly.

Part 1 and 2 are good, but there is that chanting in the middle of part 1 and 2 (you know, it goes like : canada, canada, etc.), that last forerver.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2005, 11:06

Right now, the side 3 guitar solo is my favorite part. Last year, it was the 11/16 sections at the beginning and end of Side 1. For years before that, it was the fanfare at the beginning of Side 3. Whichever one it is, I always like it more than all other Oldfield; all other music.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2005, 14:25

I picked Part 1 as best overall, but Part 3 is certainly the most exciting.  The second half of Part 4 I love, but I'm not so keen on the vibes.  And although Part 2 is probably the least essential, the very first part of that side is my favourite theme on the entire work.  So it's certainly not an easy question to answer!

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2007, 03:45

Quote (Guimauve2 @ April 03 2004, 20:14)
Part 1 and 2 are good, but there is that chanting in the middle of part 1 and 2 (you know, it goes like : canada, canada, etc.), that last forerver.

But I loooove the "Diana... Luna... Lucina..." part! I could listen to it over and over. And I have, 'cause I made a six-minute edit of "Part 1" and I sometimes play it on repeat until I fall asleep.  :)

But my favorite is "Part 4". These days, I'm thinking it might be the second most brilliant MO piece ever - right under "Ommadawn: Part 1".

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2007, 07:26

I like most of the whole thing now. Twas not always so. I began just liking the intro, and the trumpet voluntary in the middle of part I.

Now i've discovered part II... the best bit is where it goes quiet... and then flourishes again, into this easy rythmn and the impeccable voices.

The chant i've also grown to like. I can sing along to it, just sat there, doing something or not. The only section I really dont like and will always skip is the beginning of part III. For me, it feels out of place with the rest of this contemplative work. I guess that was kinda the point; so people didn't get bored. I however prefer it without, so i'll usually skip onto the next section.

I've also always thought the ending to part IV was rather anti-climactic; I still haven't fathomed a reason for this yet. Is it because Mike just wanted you to turn it over and play part I again? I've no idea.

-Update-

I have since come to appreciate part IV for its beauty. Its funny how sometimes it takes time for that curtain to be held back for you to see it.

I would probably say part IV is the best now. I love the way it ends 3 times; suitable for such a long composition.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Major Gowen Offline

Posted: July 22 2008, 22:27

Good lord, no-one has much time for Part 2 do they? I almost voted for it out of pity...

I went for Part 3 as it's my favourite at the moment. Certainly the most crazed bit of Incantations, with Mike's rip-roaring solo followed by the ascending synthesizer section and then the musical equivalent of a riotous medieval banquet at the end. Part 1 would be runner-up, the first half really does smack you around the chops and forces you to listen.
Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: July 23 2008, 00:16

I love the vibes on Part Four, brilliant stuff. I just like the whole feel of this part more, but it does go really well with all the parts together though. :)

--------------
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheAlternativeMikeOldfieldGroup/
Profile PM 
80 replies since Aug. 22 2003, 11:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net