Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations - remastered, Is it worth buying< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
captainjjb Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 21 2006, 02:06

My version of Incantations is off the original CD release, AAD, no remaster, nothing.  Just wondered if anyone thought the remaster was worth the purchase.  Is there any noticeable difference?
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: June 23 2006, 03:01

Some older editions of Incantations did not contain the whole music material. As the HDCD ermastered edition does contain the whole thing (see this thread), this may be the major reason to buy it. But first make sure that the cd that You already have is trimmed.

Sound quality may be another matter, but I have no idea whether there is any significant difference (I've got only 'hdcd remastered' ).

best regards
amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: June 23 2006, 09:19

Out of all the HDCD remasters, Incantations is generally reported to have the most noticeable difference to the original CD. What they are, I don't know.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 27 2006, 08:25

I am literally running out the door at the moment (i.e., no time to link), but if you scroll down in the Incantantations forum (there are only two pages of topics), you will find the Whining topic, which might be of interest (about a high-pitched noise) and then on the second page there is another Remasterd topic from a couple of years ago. I have the remastered on my iPod...maybe I'll give it a go this morning on my run and see if I have any fresh insight. :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: June 29 2006, 22:08

Well....I didn't.  :/  Actually, the moon wasn't around (bumping along too close to the sun, since new moon had been a couple of days before) and there weren't any herons in sight. Double bummer. At that point I realised how much certain things (like a visible moon and herons) add to my enjoy of any version of Incantations. Then, I started focusing on every ache and pain and forgot to concentrate on the music. :/ But...I realised that I will need to upload the old version to the iPod and do another comparison. Plus, soon I will have some Sennheiser headphones, so maybe I will hear all kinds of things (hopefully all good! ).  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: June 30 2006, 02:11

thanks for the replies everyone.  Judging by all the chat about this on the forum I'll wait until they have another go at it.  There's nothing wrong with the version I have and I don't remember any cuts from Vinyl, but all this comment about high pitched noises and the like is rather worrying.  It's my favourite Oldfield piece.
Profile PM 
OneGeneratuonTooLate Offline

Posted: July 01 2006, 07:54

Quote (Inkanta @ June 29 2006, 22:08)
Well....I didn't.  :/  Actually, the moon wasn't around (bumping along too close to the sun, since new moon had been a couple of days before) and there weren't any herons in sight. Double bummer. At that point I realised how much certain things (like a visible moon and herons) add to my enjoy of any version of Incantations. Then, I started focusing on every ache and pain and forgot to concentrate on the music. :/ But...I realised that I will need to upload the old version to the iPod and do another comparison. Plus, soon I will have some Sennheiser headphones, so maybe I will hear all kinds of things (hopefully all good! ).  :)

Well, unless you are ripping the CD to some kind of lossless format (I.E. Not MP3), you can't really say anything. it's also a HDCD, and will definitely sound better in compatible equipment. Too bad it's so damn expensive. Does Mike think all his fans are millionaires? :p
Profile PM WEB 
amazarak Offline

Posted: July 01 2006, 18:26

Quote (OneGeneratuonTooLate @ July 01 2006, 13:54)
Well, unless you are ripping the CD to some kind of lossless format (I.E. Not MP3), you can't really say anything. it's also a HDCD, and will definitely sound better in compatible equipment. Too bad it's so damn expensive. Does Mike think all his fans are millionaires? :p

I would even say - unless You listen on a professional studio equipment... Well, maybe studio equipment is not neccessary but certainly You can't judge basing on a low-end consumer stuff like iPods and Sennheisers (at least not top-notch models). Generally speaking, checking the music quality using any headphones is not the best idea - they affect the original contents too much.

cheers
amazarak

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: July 01 2006, 22:02

Well, and not only that, but I'm never listening under optimum conditions. When I'm running outside, I have the sound of the wind blowing past my ears, or cars. Inside, it's the treadmill noise. If I'm dancing, there is the thumping of my feet.  :D  But seriously, I will be happy if the Sennheisers don't hurt my ears. And really--when I notice differences, it tends to be when I'm not trying. Suddenly I'll hear something that I didn't recall before. It seems I'm continually discovering different things in Mike's music.

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: July 02 2006, 11:31

I forgot to mention that I didn't even hear the high-pitched whining sound the other morning. Initially I didn't hear it anyway, but at some point it started to annoy me and even contribute to mild headaches at times (alarm systems in a couple of old stores that no longer exist had this effect on me--I could barely shop there--I'm not prone to headaches).

Korgscrew had mentioned in the Whining thread that it seemed to be upwards of 18kHz, and a couple of weeks ago, the New York Times carried  an article suggesting that after we reach a certain age, we cannot hear extremely high pitched sounds, like ringtones waving around at 17kHz in a classroom. Now I'm frightened, wondering if my hearing is going. When I get more serious about this (but I cannot be sirius today, only procyon--sorry bad astronomy joke) I will have to see if I can still hear it. Weird as it may sound (no pun intended), if I can still hear the whining, it will be a relief.  :O

--------------
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: July 02 2006, 12:45

Quote (Inkanta @ July 02 2006, 04:02)
Suddenly I'll hear something that I didn't recall before. It seems I'm continually discovering different things in Mike's music.

I agree with You - that's what I love in Mikes' music  :)
But of course we wan't to discover new things in Mikes' music, not in work of remastering engineer ;)

amazarak

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: July 02 2006, 15:45

Quote (Inkanta @ July 02 2006, 16:31)
after we reach a certain age, we cannot hear extremely high pitched sounds, like ringtones waving around at 17kHz in a classroom. Now I'm frightened, wondering if my hearing is going.

A classic physics demonstration of the limits of hearing (that I've done many times) is to play a high frequency signal at something like 25kHz, and gradually reduce the frequency, asking the members of the assembled throng to put their hand up when they hear something. If it's a roomful of kids, then one or two hands go up as 20kHz approaches. By 18kHz there's a forest of hands. By 17 kHz everyone's hand is up except mine. Then at last I'd kick in at 12-13kHz (it's probably even worse now - it's a few years since I last did this).

This isn't all bad news. At least I can no longer hear the fizzy distortion and ssssibilant emphasssssissssss of bad hifi systems.....
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 02 2006, 19:14

Quote (Alan D @ July 02 2006, 20:45)
This isn't all bad news. At least I can no longer hear the fizzy distortion and ssssibilant emphasssssissssss of bad hifi systems.....

Sounds a bit like Gollum My Preciousssssss.
;)  :laugh: .

Inkanta   Posted on July 02 2006, 16:31I

Korgscrew had mentioned in the Whining thread that it seemed to be upwards of 18kHz, and a couple of weeks ago, the New York Times carried  an article suggesting that after we reach a certain age, we cannot hear extremely high pitched sounds, like ringtones waving around at 17kHz in a classroom. Now I'm frightened, wondering if my hearing is going.

Me too,I sometimes wonder about my hearing, or maybe it's a sign another birthday is nearly here   :/ .  If I am gong to become cloth eared when I'm older there's not much I can do about it, still as long as I don't become a nincompoop,as that would really add insult to injury  :O .

BTW what version of Incantations is it that the whining is present on??? Can't say I've noticed the whiny noise on my HDCD.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: July 04 2006, 22:30

Quote (Alan D @ July 02 2006, 14:45)

Alan....that's way too positive, haha! Actually, we should put together a "top ten" advantages of growing older. Not sure I could come up with ten, but inability to hear fuzzy--or is that fizzy--need to figure out where I left my reading glasses--sounds like one reason. :D
Inkanta   Posted on July 02 2006, 16:31I
BTW what version of Incantations is it that the whining is present on??? Can't say I've noticed the whiny noise on my HDCD.

It is on the remastered HDCD, yeah. If my hearing hasn't been damaged yet, the firecrackers people are setting off on behalf of 4 July are soooooo loud and sooooo close that it could change.

--------------
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2008, 06:58

Hmm - must be in the old and fuzzy group then - bought it the other day and sounded great - no whines (or firecrackers he he).
Profile PM 
lostrom Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2008, 19:48

Of corse it is, as the very poor sounding original cd wasn't even complete!
Profile PM 
15 replies since June 21 2006, 02:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net