Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations - probably the finest half LP MO ever, Where less is actually more...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
New Incantation Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 17 2010, 04:15

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 07 2010, 15:46)
I have to say I relate to the sentiment regarding part 3 and its intro; I think, by itself, the piece is quite ok, but it's definitely the most wtf-inducing moment in the album. However, for me, at least, the moment when the orchestral crescendo crashes into the tribal drums and tuned percussion is really awesome -- it's like "get out of here, let the REAL stuff begin"; sort of like when Peak Hour, by the Moody Blues, kicks the shit out of the orchestral introduction in Days of Future Passed.

I too am a big fan of Incantations; in fact I will go as far as saying it is my favourite MO album in his entire library.

I remember playing the cassette version for the first time back in 1979 I think. At the time I didn't think MO would ever come out with anything better than the original TB. but my God, after listening to Incantations just once I realised he had excelled himself and achieved just that!

And Part 3, is perhaps my second favourite of all 4 pieces: the opening is a bit of a surprise and incredibly intense; but as Sir Mustapha points out, the sudden change at 2':12" in mood from orchestral crescendo to tribal drums & tuned percussion, is amazing; and then we're treated to 5 minutes worth of wonderful guitar work by Mike which again makes the album come alive even more!

I never tire of this album: it still sounds fresh & meaningful now as it did some 30 years ago - to my ears at least.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2010, 09:55

Lol.My first copy was a cassette that i got for my 7th birthday.Bloody thing's worn out now.It was great when i finally got the cd (second edition so not missing chunks) and could hear everything so clearly.And i still hear new bits now and again.Never mind the 'Great trilogy' of TB,HR and Ommadawn that everyone talks about.Incantations is every bit as good.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2010, 21:55

Quote (compound eye @ Feb. 28 2010, 09:16)
2/ The introduction to part three is very poorly judged and very out of place with the rest of this work. No wonder this is the part that was sacrificed to squirt it onto CD originally - I almost want to get some mp3 editing software and replicated that edit myself.

I think it very well fits in with the rest.

For years it is a competition between the first 3 or so minutes of part 1, and the part 3 fanfare, as to which section is the best music ever made by anyone, ever.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2010, 04:08

the whole album is fantastic - best thing he ever did.  Looking forward to the Deluxe edition re-release, although it's all gone a bit quiet out there.  I hope they do focus on Incantations and not just release it with Platinum, QE2 and others which were a completely different MO era.

Can anyone put me out of my misery and tell me is really IS going to be relased in all its 21st century glory soon?
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 26 2010, 05:18

Quote (captainjjb @ Sep. 26 2010, 18:08)
the whole album is fantastic - best thing he ever did.  Looking forward to the Deluxe edition re-release, although it's all gone a bit quiet out there.  I hope they do focus on Incantations and not just release it with Platinum, QE2 and others which were a completely different MO era.

Can anyone put me out of my misery and tell me is really IS going to be relased in all its 21st century glory soon?

From Fanny Oldfield's latest diary entry.

Michael has a new project… He is very excited and eager to get started with the remix of the album Incantations. It will be great and it will give him the opportunity to get a real feel for his new studio.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2010, 15:12

Quote (milamber @ Sep. 26 2010, 05:18)
He is very excited and eager to get started with the remix of the album Incantations.

You mean he hasn't even started yet?!?!  Come on, Mike, shake a leg!   :p

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2010, 20:42

Quote (familyjules @ Sep. 26 2010, 15:12)
He is very excited and eager to get started with the remix of the album Incantations.

Jules

No, no, forget this endless remix nonsense and concentrate on the new album! The past is very happy where it is.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2010, 04:00

Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 26 2010, 20:42)
Quote (familyjules @ Sep. 26 2010, 15:12)

Jules

No, no, forget this endless remix nonsense and concentrate on the new album! The past is very happy where it is.

No, no, forget the new album!  Nobody outside of this forum will ever listen to it anyway.  Concentrate on polishing your masterpieces.  The past is the new future!   ;)

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2010, 04:05

Jules - that was a few weeks ago - that she said that. Could be all done by now -  sliding a few buttons here and there - hey presto !!

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 27 2010, 04:15

Quote (wiga @ Sep. 27 2010, 18:05)
 sliding a few buttons here and there - hey presto !!

Should stand for "Incident" in the dictionary  :)
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2010, 06:57

Quote (wiga @ Sep. 27 2010, 04:05)
Jules - that was a few weeks ago - that she said that. Could be all done by now -  sliding a few buttons here and there - hey presto !!

Yeah, he probably knocked it up before breakfast, then went out for a smoke and a walk on the beach, before flying a plane to the local shops.....   ;)

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2010, 08:00

Quote (familyjules @ Sep. 27 2010, 04:00)
 Nobody outside of this forum will ever listen to it anyway.  

And those other people matter - how?  :D

But in any case, that's tres, tres bollocks, daughter (as Ralph Filthy might say), because the last album made the top ten!
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2010, 08:18

Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 27 2010, 08:00)
But in any case, that's tres, tres bollocks, daughter (as Ralph Filthy might say), because the last album made the top ten!

They still have charts for that sort of thing?  Who knew?

Anyway, it's a fair cop, guv.  Got me bang to rights!   :p

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
compound eye Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2011, 09:22

REMIX?!!! Nooo..... Mike, Mike, Mikey... leave it, LEAVE IT, ok?

It is awful when people keep fiddling with their earlier works to [allegedly] bring them up to the quality of their modern output. It's bad enough with bloody George Lucas redo-ing everything and shoving bloody Hadyn Christiansen at the end of Return of the Jedi.

I have to say I was hugely disappointed by the Tubular Bells remix. Ok, the intro to 'side two' sounded superbly clear BUT I really don't like the vocal segments he's tried to emulate - the new 'saloon bar' chorus on 'side one', and the truly GODAWFUL Piltdown Man 'duet' on 'side two' -whatever posessed hm to have a woman screaching at the top of her voice instead of cleaning up the original grouchy 'shasha fwargh' sample is beyond me. The original evokes images of some matted hairy ape frustrated and bemused, the remix sounds like two bloody know-it-alls trying to be 'rad' and 'ott'. SO DON'T REMIX INCANTATIONS MIKE, IF YOU HAVEN'T GOT ANY NEW IDEAS AND HAVE FINALLY GOT FED UP MAKING TUBULAR BELLS CLONES, JUST SAY SO, WE'LL FORGIVE YOU - BUT LEAVE INCANTATIONS ALONE!!!

...and relax.

Blimey, one year after losing my Incantations virginity I still love it more than any other MO album [Ommadawn sounds awfully limp in comparison, even though it is a damned fine album and was my fave since I was a boy], AND I play it more often than any other single piece of music on my laptop, and I have a lot.

I'm playing Incantations right through more often too, but I still loathe the 'side three' intro. It's a bit like a sequinned and wizard hatted Rik Wakeman walked into the wrong studio and didn't realise for two and a bit minutes...

:D
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2011, 11:44

If Incatations will be remixed he should make the tempo way slower. It's way too fast. I think a lot could be improved in the remix, however I would prefer a new album as long as it's not so terrible as tres lunas.

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2011, 11:50

I adore Incantations, always have, always will and boy you should have heard it in its complete glory live.....I was lucky enough to see it/hear it a few times....can still visualise Maddy and her girly choir and Pierre on percussion....it was magical, oh and those vibraphones.....

Mike if you do remix it, please make it sound slightly different so we have something new to savour from the old.....otherwise mate, leave it alone.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2011, 20:12

Quote (Hastengas @ Jan. 25 2011, 11:50)
I adore Incantations, always have, always will and boy you should have heard it in its complete glory live.....I was lucky enough to see it/hear it a few times....can still visualise Maddy and her girly choir and Pierre on percussion....it was magical, oh and those vibraphones.....

Mike if you do remix it, please make it sound slightly different so we have something new to savour from the old.....otherwise mate, leave it alone.

It's offpeak season in Brighton at the moment, Hastengas. There's one particular hotel room they should have cleared up by now...  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2011, 06:21

This might comfort anyone reading my opinions on music and foaming onto their keyboards.  My mind can be changed.  Not necessarily full astern, but you can alter the course of my thinking.

The scene is Pat's Mike Oldfield Page.  I can't remember when I last saw Toucan Solutions up and running, and I hope that dosesn't mean unhappy news.  The album reviews section was a wonder to behold, and there in Incantations was the post that changed my life - slightly.

I'll leave the story of how it came to catch my eye for another time (weird coincidences section) but I found echoes of my opinions on Incantations' length and how much is padding.  I came to it via the Exposed version; I loved that and I love this.  I just truly love about 4/5 of it.

It was worth putting out more than a single album but he never found the inspiration to fill the time completely.  So some sections go on a bit.  I like to picture him doing the sums (five minutes here, six there, can't lose that section, nope - over 30 minutes again...) because it seems so obvious to me that once the decision to go double was made, the barriers that might otherwise have help him keep things concise were dissipated.  Why not let Terry freak out a bit longer on side one?  Five minutes guitar on three?  Get in there!  It's a whole different attitude compared to TBII, for example, where he nearly runs out of space because he's having so much fun.

Which isn't to say I don't like these bits.  They and others are fab, and if I consider them a bit drawn out, some of my perfect moments will annoy you.  Hiawatha, once I got used to it began to really annoy me. But this review got me through it.  As she said, it's as long as Mike wanted it to be.  He could have used up another 10 minutes of verse if he'd wanted to.

She also forever altered some of my terminology.  The final reoccurence of the main theme, said I.  
the 'backward?' processed flute with strummed electrics about two thirds through
says compound eye.  But to her, and to me ever since, the section just before Ben Jonson's bit is "the ever wonderful punk guitar/synthesiser discord".

Her name was Alison.  I salute you wherever you may be.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
37 replies since Feb. 28 2010, 09:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net