Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations - probably the finest half LP MO ever, Where less is actually more...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
compound eye Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 28 2010, 09:16

Forgive me if I'm treading old ground here but, after decades of listening to the classic trilogy, and Crises... I deicded to fill in some very big gaps in my collection and WOW! - Incantations is really rather good isn't it?!! Cannot understand why this album gets talked about so infrequently in the outside world.

As a semi-pro photographer I spend a lot of time in post production and I have pretty much had this album on solid rotation for the last 3-4 weekends. Some observations however -

1/ The heartbeat section in part two does smack of trying to mimic a similar passage during TB Pt 2 just before the Piltdown Man chorus, and [as has apparently been said] the Hiawatha vocals do dribble on somewhat.
2/ The introduction to part three is very poorly judged and very out of place with the rest of this work. No wonder this is the part that was sacrificed to squirt it onto CD originally - I almost want to get some mp3 editing software and replicated that edit myself.
3/ You don't actually need parts two OR three - parts one and four make a very competent mini album indeed, and the theme that permiates both parts is simple yet utterly addictive.
4/ High points for part one would have to be the [post Clair Hamill style intro] orchestral work-up leading into the main theme, the brass reprise half way through - which reminds me of the much underrated score for the film 'Dogs of War', and the absolutely incredible flute finale.
5/ High points of part four would have to be the [post harp intro] 'tubular' assertion of the main theme, the 'backward?' processed flute with strummed electrics about two thirds through, and the iconic squealing Oldfield 'Ommadawn' guitar just prior to the finale.

Fair summary?

As a 70 odd minute album, pretty good, BUT as a 36 min part one / four combo pretty much some of the best old-school Oldfield ever - music that almost blows Ommadawn part one clean away, and leaves Hergest Ridge's clarinet and electric section from part one back on the starting blocks...
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2010, 09:40

Quote (compound eye @ Feb. 28 2010, 09:16)
2/ The introduction to part three is very poorly judged and very out of place with the rest of this work. No wonder this is the part that was sacrificed to squirt it onto CD originally - I almost want to get some mp3 editing software and replicated that edit myself.

Hey compound eye.

Do you mean the Pa Pa Pa Pa Paa Paa bit?

It seems a good idea to me -  brings me out of the Hiawatha trance, with a start :O.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
compound eye Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2010, 09:46

Quote (wiga @ Feb. 28 2010, 09:40)
Quote (compound eye @ Feb. 28 2010, 09:16)

Hey compound eye.

Do you mean the Pa Pa Pa Pa Paa Paa bit?

It seems a good idea to me -  brings me out of the Hiawatha trance, with a start :O.

Indeed - the DA-DA-D-D-DAH intro, which doesn't even fit with the sub Ommadawn drumming it tries to lead into.

For my money you might just as well have had In Dulci Jubilo as the intro!

Although I'd prefer neither...

At least there is not a single element of parts 1 or 4 that doesn't sit right or could be improved, and I am more than happy to program & repeat those on WMP almost ad infinitum...
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2010, 09:55

You say Da Da Da Da Da Dah

and I say Pa Pa Pa Pa Paa Paa

... lets call the whole thing off :D.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
compound eye Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2010, 10:38

Quote (wiga @ Feb. 28 2010, 09:55)
You say Da Da Da Da Da Dah

and I say Pa Pa Pa Pa Paa Paa

... lets call the whole thing off :D.

Touche!

The 'backward processed' flutes [with strummed electrics] in part four though.... are they actually 'backward...?

:)
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2010, 17:41

Incantations is bloody brilliant as heard on Exposed - condensed down. I really struggle to get through the original album.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2010, 09:05

I would be a big defender of the album the way it was just done. The part 3 intro is definately the most high tempo and even commercial sounding, but the ascendent 5ths in the guitar melody unites it conceptually with the rest of the work. i would even say without this part the album is not the same, being that the reason I don't agree with the CD edition.

Having said that, I would only add Incantations is for me a unique piece of art, and I wouldn't put it behind any other record I've heard in my life.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2010, 19:50

Quote (olracUK @ Feb. 28 2010, 17:41)
Incantations is bloody brilliant as heard on Exposed - condensed down. I really struggle to get through the original album.

That's interesting. It's well known that I'm no fan of the Incantations album. But I didn't know there was a shorter version. Thanks; I'll check it out.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2010, 20:23

I've never felt so lost inside a record than listening to 'Incantations'... specially the long flute solo at the end of part one, and 'Hiawatha'.

Having said that, I can understand as well its monotony can get people tired if minimalism is not their cup of tea, which in my case is completely. I love repetitive music, and I think Incantations is the best minismalism record I've ever heard. Still, I'm afraid it's the only one as well. Good luck  :O .

--------------
Profile PM 
shaynw Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2010, 00:33

probably my LEAST favourite Mike record....

I just don't get it just like some people don't GET Amarok - which BTW is the best album ever created !
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2010, 00:53

Quote (shaynw @ Mar. 07 2010, 00:33)
probably my LEAST favourite Mike record....

I just don't get it just like some people don't GET Amarok - which BTW is the best album ever created !

My least favourite as well. Still, never let it be said that Mr O hasn't tried every genre, even minimalism. (OK,he hasn't tried barbershop quartet, but Peter Gabriel's scary attempt at that would put anyone off.) As for the phrase "I don't get Amarok" - that's produced a few threads in its own right!
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2010, 02:40

The whole durn thing was fandamtastic. Fine album.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
compound eye Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2010, 05:21

I definately fall into the "don't get Amarok" category...

I listened with anticipation after it had been touted at Ommadawn 2, but what a load of toss that comparison and indeed Amarok turns out to be... Far too may themes, far too many of them awful / contrived / just not very interesting, all stuck together like someone has done a seamless edit of some bedroom knob twiddlers effects tape. I really cannot stand Amarok - it's like someone with ADHD forgot to take their dose of Ritalin and then tried to reinvent Tubular Bells!

Nope, I'm in the mininal / thematic development camp - a decent Mike Oldfield album needs room to breathe, mutate, rattle around a bit... all the while underscored by variations on a theme. That's why 'the original trilogy' stand the test of time and are popular, even after almost 40 years... Yet, who remembers let alone plays albums like Five Miles Out or Islands [choosing two at random from opposite ends of the "doesn't really work" scale]?!

I think Incantations richly deserves to be up among the elect of MO albums, indeed - we should be referring to the classic 'quadrology'... I do hope Mercury do a remastered release of it, and them maybe it'll get the following it deserves.  ;)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2010, 06:29

Quote (compound eye @ Mar. 07 2010, 05:21)
I definately fall into the "don't get Amarok" category...

I listened with anticipation after it had been touted at Ommadawn 2, but what a load of toss that comparison and indeed Amarok turns out to be... Far too may themes, far too many of them awful / contrived / just not very interesting, all stuck together like someone has done a seamless edit of some bedroom knob twiddlers effects tape. I really cannot stand Amarok - it's like someone with ADHD forgot to take their dose of Ritalin and then tried to reinvent Tubular Bells!

Nope, I'm in the mininal / thematic development camp - a decent Mike Oldfield album needs room to breathe, mutate, rattle around a bit... all the while underscored by variations on a theme. That's why 'the original trilogy' stand the test of time and are popular, even after almost 40 years... Yet, who remembers let alone plays albums like Five Miles Out or Islands [choosing two at random from opposite ends of the "doesn't really work" scale]?!

I think Incantations richly deserves to be up among the elect of MO albums, indeed - we should be referring to the classic 'quadrology'... I do hope Mercury do a remastered release of it, and them maybe it'll get the following it deserves.  ;)

Out, demon, out!  :p
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 07 2010, 10:46

I have to say I relate to the sentiment regarding part 3 and its intro; I think, by itself, the piece is quite ok, but it's definitely the most wtf-inducing moment in the album. However, for me, at least, the moment when the orchestral crescendo crashes into the tribal drums and tuned percussion is really awesome -- it's like "get out of here, let the REAL stuff begin"; sort of like when Peak Hour, by the Moody Blues, kicks the shit out of the orchestral introduction in Days of Future Passed.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2010, 17:38

@ Nightspore and his Peter Gabriel reference - "Excuse Me?"  :p

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2010, 17:54

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 07 2010, 16:46)
However, for me, at least, the moment when the orchestral crescendo crashes into the tribal drums and tuned percussion is really awesome -- it's like "get out of here, let the REAL stuff begin"; sort of like when Peak Hour, by the Moody Blues, kicks the shit out of the orchestral introduction in Days of Future Passed.

Sir Mustapha, you are genius... what an example!!!! What a pity so many people don't know what you are talking about, because it's completely true...

'Days of Future Passed' is (as I consider it) the REAL Moody Blues debut album. It was the first album to combine a symphonic orchestra with a rock band, and the last song from Side A, 'Peak Hour', a fast and brilliant rocker, bursts out and breaks the orchestral and melodic harmony and peace achieved so far.

Listen to the whole album!!! It's one of the best rock albums ever made.

And again, yes, it's pretty the same with Side C intro on 'Incantations'. A little bit of the breaking of the balance in the record, like the Caveman in TB or the electric storm in HR.

Interesting ;).

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2010, 19:45

Quote (olracUK @ Mar. 07 2010, 17:38)
@ Nightspore and his Peter Gabriel reference - "Excuse Me?"  :p

That's right, Olrac!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2010, 10:14

Sorry but i love the album as a whole.Ok so the Hiawatha bit does grate sometimes.But i would rather hear the whole thing than a condensed version-except the Exposed version which is very cool.It has everything i love about his music at that point.Best bit is the harp into to side 4.I could listen to that tiny bit all day!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2010, 01:35

Quote (The Caveman @ Mar. 16 2010, 10:14)
Sorry but i love the album as a whole.Ok so the Hiawatha bit does grate sometimes.But i would rather hear the whole thing than a condensed version-except the Exposed version which is very cool.It has everything i love about his music at that point.Best bit is the harp into to side 4.I could listen to that tiny bit all day!

I feel the same - love the whole thing - ESPECIALLY the bit they cut on the original CD - can't believe they were too cheap to put it on 2 discs.

As noted in another post my (then 13 now approaching 16) daughter is a big fan - and Incantations is her favorite (though - sigh - she dislikes the intro to part 3).
Profile PM 
37 replies since Feb. 28 2010, 09:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net