Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: In dulci jubilo / Portsmouth etc. etc.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
FMO Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 17 2001, 04:15

I don't like budweiser, but ... Whassup?! biggrin Ok, a question : I heard that in dulci jubilo is one of MO's christmas singles like portsmouth and blue peter. But how many of those REALLY are "christmas songs" ? I red that dulci jubilo is traditional christmas song and that portsmouth is trational song as well (?) Could someone give me a little background of these songs? And yeah, i know that (MO's) silent night is a christmas song. smile

FMO
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: April 17 2001, 05:12

Uh-oh, we're moving into P-word territory wink.

Seriously, the lowdown on In Dulci Jubilo, Portsmouth, and Blue Peter:
  • In Dulci Jubilo: a Christmas carol. See Lise's MO University for the original lyrics. R.L. Pearsall is creditted with writing the version Mike recorded.
  • Blue Peter: a hornpipe, originally known as Barnacle Bill. Mike arranged and recorded his version for the BBC Children's TV show "Blue Peter" (and maybe had other reasons as well). I don't think it's a Christmas song.
  • Portsmouth: hmm...well, it's a traditional English hornpipe. And that's all I've found so far. So if anyone else can add anything, please do. Again, I don't think it's a Christmas song.

However, all three singles were released at/around Christmas. Mike appeared on the BBC's Top of the Pops to promote all three as follows:
  • IDJ=1/1/76
  • P= 9/12/76, 23/12/76
  • BP= 20/12/79

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
FMO Offline

Posted: April 18 2001, 05:06

Thank you so much Tim! That's really interesting information. There's one question in my mind now. Is there a difference in IN DULCI JUBILO and IN DULCI JUBILO (for maureen)? I haven't heard the latter one.

FMO
Profile PM 
Cipher Offline

Posted: April 18 2001, 11:40

Yes, there's a difference. IDJ (for Maureen) it's an earlier version of the song and Mike did it when his mother (Maureen, you can see her face in the Crime of Passion cover) died. Both version are quite different, but the first one is only released in 7" officialy, and in some bootlegs.
Profile PM WEB 
Vill Offline

Posted: April 21 2001, 16:35

Er, when you say 'hornpipe', are you refering to the instrument called the hornpipe, or (as I suspect) the music (which is actually maritime)?

It's a trivial thing, I know.
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 21 2001, 20:24

In Germany, the song 'In Dulci Jubilo' is a classic X-mas song, sung in Church on X-mas eve. The German lyrics start 'Nun singet und seid froh...' (Now sing and be merry...) It's a lot slower than Mike's version. Like a very slow waltz.

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: April 22 2001, 06:20

Vill:

You're right, I'm talking about the music, which I've always thought was called a hornpipe, rather than maritime. Especially since there's a Sailor's Hornpipe at the end of TB. wink

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: May 01 2002, 01:21

cool. i like facts like that

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
7 replies since April 17 2001, 04:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net