Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I'm out of the closet!, An Oldfield Fan Says Hi< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Platinumpty Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 26 2011, 12:01

Hello Tubularians!

I've been browsing these forums for some weeks now, hesitant to dip my toe in the water of what seems like an endless lake of Oldfield expertise.  I'll just say hello and give you a glimpse into my personal Oldfield experiences.

I'm 40 years old, a writer (screenplays mostly) and film director, born in Edinburgh and now living in London.

1975 - the first piece of music I can distinctly remember - a strangely catchy folky Christmas piece, enlivened by oddly modern electric guitar, playing on my schoolfriend's dad's stereo.  It is of course In Dulci Jubilo and I never forget it, to the extent of still having a clear mental picture of what the stereo looked like (flat, brown, tobacco-tinted lid, hidden in a recess under stippled wallpaper).

1984 - A nicely designed album catches my eye in the Fountainbridge record library whilst browsing with my dad.  It feature a pensive man, a tower, and a moon in a green sky over rippling water.  I borrow it for no reason other than a vague recollection that my dad owns a record by that bloke.  Many listens later, it sends me scouring my Dad's record collection for that funny-looking record with a twisted tube of metal on the front.

1986 - walking though the Pentland Hills in Edinburgh listening to Hergest Ridge on my brand new Sony Walkman, which I'd just taped from LP (Ommadawn on the other side of the C90 most likely).  The wild weather, unpeopled and beautiful scenery chiming perfectly with those long sustained cornet notes and acoustic guitar strums.  Lonely bliss for a lonely teenager.  At fear of sounding pretentious, this is the music of my soul.

1990 - utter dismay as the horrors of Music From the Balcony and the fetid song offerings on side 1 of Heaven's Open drive a wedge into my appreciation of Oldfield's canon.  This is the sound of a deeply-troubled man struggling with both his muse and his patron (the cloth-eared Nincompoop).  Tubular Bells 2 goes some way to repairing the damage but it marks a temporary parting of the ways...

1994 - I'm working in a cinema whilst studying.  As I wait for patrons to turn up for the evening screening of the latest arthouse flick, something lightly rhythmic, otherwordly and ambient with an oddly familiar guitar sound oddles over the sound system.  At first it feels bland, after many other screenings it reveals its subtleties.  "Sounds like Mike Oldfield", I think.  Some time later I realise it's Songs of Distant Earth.  I return to the albums...

2011 - a further 21 years of playing scratchy vinyl copies of Oldfield's first 15 albums (except Earth Moving and Heaven's Open which I probably flogged) and dipping into the rest on Spotify, I realise I'm a committed Tubarian and join this forum.  

My deeply personal and subjective Top Ten Oldfield Albums (I'm not massively familiar with anything after Tubular Bells 2, although I have heard them all at least once, but am attempting to fill the gaps and have just ordered my first 3 post-92 CDs from Amazon):

1. Hergest Ridge
2. Incantations
3. Tubular Bells
4. Ommadawn
5. Amarok
6. QE2
7. Crises
8. Platinum
9. Islands
10. SODE

Please be patient with me while I explore the later works... its hard when you're in love with music by a man who has commited both extraordinary genius and aural atrocity to tape (and digital media).

Anyhow, those are my musings on some of my Oldfield memories.  He's given me so much I thought it only fair to share them with those who admire him most.

Do you know, I really think I could dance?
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: May 26 2011, 13:04

Hi there, BornInTheUK! Always nice to see a new member. And one after my own heart, Mike's early work is my favorite as well - and TSODE is the one later album that compares to the early stuff for me, too (actually, it's more like album number 4 for me). :)

A screenplay writer and film director... anything we might know of?
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 26 2011, 13:18

Big welcome to the forums BornInTheUK. I was brought up in the Lothians and still live there (and work in Edinburgh) so your "walking in the Pentlands" story I completely understand!

Syd, BornInTheUK's profile lists a website for Gavin's current film Sparks and Embers or you could check IMDB or even wikipedia!. Have to be honest, I don't think I've seen any of those films but I'll have a check on youtube for the music videos first ;)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: May 26 2011, 16:53

Quote (Matt @ May 26 2011, 13:18)
Syd, BornInTheUK's profile lists a website for Gavin's current film Sparks and Embers or you could check IMDB or even wikipedia!. Have to be honest, I don't think I've seen any of those films but I'll have a check on youtube for the music videos first ;)

My films to date are all shorts so you'd have to be quite lucky to have seen them.  However, sparks and embers is a full feature I aim to shoot in November and December. assuming we can raise the remaining finance, that is.  Thanks for the warm welcome.  

Ps you can see my shorts and music videos at my YouTube page.
Profile PM WEB 
HR lover Offline

Posted: May 26 2011, 17:06

'Lonely bliss for a lonely teenager.  At fear of sounding pretentious, this is the music of my soul.'

That is how I feel about it too.

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 26 2011, 22:09

Hi BornInTheUK - welcome to the forum!
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: May 27 2011, 07:09

Thanks all - much appreciated.  I'll be an irregular visitor but will keep in touch.  One of my ambitions as a filmmaker is to work with Mike, since I loved his Killing Fields score - brave and ambitious stuff.
Profile PM WEB 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: May 29 2011, 17:49

Welcome BornInTheUK

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: May 30 2011, 07:41

Hello there BornInTheUk.

Edinburgh has become my favourite most friendly city in the UK! Been up there twice already this year. The second time I went to see The Unthanks at The Queen's Hall - a new folk band with great string and trumpet backing, and clog dancing. A strange combination but it works.  :cool:

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: May 31 2011, 17:20

Quote (wiga @ May 30 2011, 13:41)
Hello there BornInTheUk.

Edinburgh has become my favourite most friendly city in the UK! Been up there twice already this year. The second time I went to see The Unthanks at The Queen's Hall - a new folk band with great string and trumpet backing, and clog dancing. A strange combination but it works.  :cool:

So have you ever heard or better still seen............The Peatbog Fairies. Check um out folks..........Scottish and very, very different. :cool:
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: June 01 2011, 07:38

Quote (wiga @ May 30 2011, 07:41)

Not seen them but vaguely heard of them.  Will see if they have anything on Spotify.  Mmmm... I love Spotify... having said that, it doesn't have that much Oldfield.

My favorite Scottish band has always been The Blue Nile... although they release albums about as regularly as visits from Halley's Comet.
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 01 2011, 15:33

Quote (BornInTheUK @ June 01 2011, 12:38)
Quote (wiga @ May 30 2011, 07:41)

Not seen them but vaguely heard of them.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbve919Xsw4&feature=related

BornInTheUSA - here they are - very beautiful and haunting kind of folk I think.  The two sisters are from Northumberland - lovely harmonies/accents. I like the way they say "I lUv my mUther.."!! The one on the right was eight months pregnant in April - that's when I saw them in Edinburgh.    :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: June 01 2011, 15:44

'Edinburgh has become my favourite most friendly city in the UK!'

I've been twice to Edinburgh and I definitely agree with you Wiga.

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 01 2011, 15:51

Quote (dunlooser @ May 31 2011, 22:20)
So have you ever heard or better still seen............The Peatbog Fairies. Check um out folks..........Scottish and very, very different. :cool:

Dunlooser - no, - but have just checked them out on You Tube. They are of the REAL traditional  kind of 'folk' I see, with some very energetic fiddling going on. :O

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 01 2011, 16:27

Quote (HR lover @ June 01 2011, 20:44)

Hi HR lover - well a few people had told me it had a nice warm atmosphere about it - and I had to go there to believe it. When I was there I felt I could live there!

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: June 02 2011, 14:27

Quote (wiga @ June 01 2011, 22:27)
Quote (HR lover @ June 01 2011, 20:44)

Hi HR lover - well a few people had told me it had a nice warm atmosphere about it - and I had to go there to believe it. When I was there I felt I could live there!

You folks need to visit Edinburgh once in yer life. I spent a memorable weekend there. Scotland- Ireland in the rugby world cup.

Pubs where you had to take a ticket and wait outside for your turn to go in. Walking to the ground from the Hotel, and listening to a Pipe player on every street corner.

Then when you get home collect a series of books by Ian Rankin.........................REBUS.
A guy I'd like to get in the Last Chance Saloon, fer a beer an' muddeye chaser.

:D  :D  ;)
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 02 2011, 15:35

Interesting to hear all these comments on Edinburgh. I tend to get bogged down with the negative sometimes (trams, roadworks, council incompentence etc. etc. etc. ) and forget that it is actually a beautiful city with some fab pubs, festivals etc. For every hour spend waiting for a bus in the rain thats stuck in roadworks there's the other hour spent waiting for a bus halfway along Princes st. listening to fringe stuff from the bandstand and looking up at the castle.

OK, agree that the place is worth a visit ;)

BornInTheUK, as a born and bred Edinburger, what you think of the place these days?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: June 02 2011, 15:56

Quote (Matt @ June 02 2011, 21:35)
Interesting to hear all these comments on Edinburgh. I tend to get bogged down with the negative sometimes (trams, roadworks, council incompentence etc. etc. etc. ) and forget that it is actually a beautiful city with some fab pubs, festivals etc. For every hour spend waiting for a bus in the rain thats stuck in roadworks there's the other hour spent waiting for a bus halfway along Princes st. listening to fringe stuff from the bandstand and looking up at the castle.

BornInTheUK, as a born and bred Edinburger, what you think of the place these days?

If your asking what I think of the uk..................I'm really sorry to say.................IT SUCKS. I can't stand going back there.

France best place in the world.

Edinburgh................move it over here to Brittany. The Celtic capital of the world. When you've visited Edinburgh folks come and try Lorient for the Celtic festival where Scott pipes are played in competition and invariably win.

:cool:
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: June 02 2011, 16:32

Quote (Matt @ June 02 2011, 15:35)

Hey, you're an Admin now Matt? Congratulations! Drinks all around!
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 03 2011, 04:24

...and pringles.

Syd I think Matt's been a moderator for over a year!

--------------
Profile PM 
25 replies since May 26 2011, 12:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net