Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Illusions, Something original by me!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 16 2003, 22:24

I've been wanting to write some music for a while and I've finally done it! While making that Crises cover I came across this cool tune and decided to expand on it. I hope you like it. I wanted to put guitars in there but I couldn't figure out a way to make it fit good so I just left it out. Oh well. I don't need guitars in EVERY song. As long as it sounds good.

The song is called 'Illusions' because my brother took a listen to it and he said it put a picture of a surreal place in his head. I saw the same and pictured a real misty magical strange place full of illusions. I tried to mirror that with the music at the beginning with pads coming in then going out to kind of give the feeling that there is another instrument or theme coming in but it goes away like an illusion or mirage.

http://www.geocities.com/shine64.rm/illusions.zip
http://smc.sq7.org/brandon/illusions.ogg

I'm going to mix this with a couple other themes and make a longer instrumental. I just wanted to release this first part to get your opinions.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 17 2003, 05:10

wistful mood what u draw in this tune. i've had kind'a soft flight imagining the place u and your brother spoke about.
good idea if u are going to make it longer, yes, it could paint in blue the atmosphere for a wider musical painting.

glad to be able to listen to your ogg files. my windows media player is already covered by spiderwebs...

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
SHINE Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2003, 05:44

Hi, Brandon,

Been there...very very nice musical voyage.
Ethereal, peaceful.
I have enjoyed a lot floating in that air world.
It would be very interesting to experience a longer version.
Thank you very much for sharing.

As I told you once before, I don't like very much Winamp, but your music is a good reason to keep this software in my PC ;)
Profile PM 

Posted: Aug. 17 2003, 17:56

Thanks for the words, guys. Yes the longer instrumental is going to be good if I get around to making it :). Anyone else care to venture a comment? I'm interested to know what you guys think of my original stuff.

Actually, I showed this to my fellow team members who are making that adventure game (posted 2 tracks from it before) and we decided to use a version in the game, too.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Crises Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2003, 19:20

Ooh me likes! :D

It has evolved alot i can see since i heard your first preview of this song.

Nice, Mellow, it's like candy for the ears, Blissful and romantic :D

Damn i wish i could compose like you! :P

Great choice on the title, it fits perfectly. but i would have chosen 'The monkeys from the eternal pits of hell'  :D

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2003, 19:46

damn!
how great...that's what I need right now (big depression here heh)

I think it has nice sound quality...

and even more emotion than Jazz Midnight which I am listening now!
it's great! congrats to another masterpiece mate

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2003, 03:46

To be sung on the tune of the Triumphal March from Verdi's "Aida" [if you know it... :)]:

"Hooray,
hooray for Brandon Blume,
he is the best in here.
With his notes, with his tunes,
he is the best."

:D :D

I thhink this summarizes what I think of the piece. :) I can't wait to hear the longer version, perhaps with a lovely classical guitar part on it... ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 

Posted: Aug. 18 2003, 09:00

Damn i wish i could compose like you! :P

A few days ago, so did I lol. It's all in the inspiration at the momemt you get it. It fires you up. This was a fairly simple idea....also, the mixing makes it good. Take a simple idea you've made and go nuts with it ;) .

Great choice on the title, it fits perfectly. but i would have chosen 'The monkeys from the eternal pits of hell'

Hmmm...your title DOES seems to fit much better. Perhaps I'll change the name :D .

I thhink this summarizes what I think of the piece.

I actually don't know the song you're talking about, but thanks anyway lol.

I can't wait to hear the longer version, perhaps with a lovely classical guitar part on it...

Classical guitar.....ahh if only I had one. Nice idea.\

Thanks again, everybody. I'm actually surprised you all like it this much. An artist truly thrives on comments and (constructive) criticism. It surely has motivated me to continue making the longer version :).

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2003, 13:18

[Off Topic...]

Actually the Triumphal March from 'Aida' is not a song but a (rather) well-known theme played on trumpets. If you never heard it, you can surely find it on Kazaa... its beginning fits perfectly with the words I wrote above. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2003, 14:00

Very good indeed. Very simple, but it works. I would perhaps go for a little more variety and contrasting elements, but then that's just my personal taste.
I think your piece would be enhanced by guitars. Some clean electric guitar playing a counter rythm, perhaps. But hey, your composition is good as it is.
What are the glockenspiel and the harp? Softsynths? Sounds great. The strings, though, are probably a little one-dimensional sounding, as most synthetic strings are.
But a great listen. Thank you for sharing.

--------------
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Aug. 19 2003, 00:29

I would perhaps go for a little more variety and contrasting elements, but then that's just my personal taste.

I actually agree. This is more or less a version I put together half-finished, but not so finished that I'd think it couldn't use a bridge or more underlying themes etc.

About the guitars. I tried adding a clean electric at the beginning, but I couldn't get the sound right and it sounded a bit too muddy. And if something doesn't sound at least half decent to me, I won't even use it. So I pushed the idea away until I better perfect it.

And the harp and glock. Yes they are from my Roland MT-200 MIDI Synthesizer hooked up to my GT-6 for better reverb and other small effects like that. And the strings.....yes..one dimensional. It would have sounded better if I could record through more that my mono Mic Input. At least it would have sounded a little wider. It's the most realistic I've ever gotten strings, though.

Thanks for the advice and kind words!

Also thanks, Ugo, for the song. I'll check it out and see what I like :).

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2003, 16:56

No comments. ;)

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2003, 18:04

HA!

KRISTOF? YOU'RE SICK? OR WHAT THE HELL MEANS THAT YOU HAVE NO COMMENTS!!!!!!!!

HOLY F***

COME ON!?

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Aug. 21 2003, 19:23

Hmmm I can take that 2 ways. Either he has no comment meaning he doesn't want to say anything negative because that's all he says (lol I'm not slamming you for that...it's not neccessarily a bad thing), or he has no comment because there isn't anything negative to say about it. I'll take the benefit of a doubt and say there's nothing bad to say about it :D.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2003, 05:36

God damn it :D Kristof Come on and fast...Brandon will be a proud boy if you will really not comment it :D

heheheh

this topic starts to be funny...hahah

--------------
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2003, 13:06

All the good and the bad things are already said (especially by Satyagraha). And because of that second one, I have no comments.  :D

Nice job, Brandon!

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
15 replies since Aug. 16 2003, 22:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net