Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: If you're getting old, are you automatically being boring?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dalriada Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 13 2002, 09:00

If this question hurts people above 40 years of age, I'll find my mission succesfull. Namely, I'm already getting enough of artists who are constantly disappointing me by releasing less and less spirited pieces the older they get.

It's not that somebody loses ideas after 20 years of work. That's the other topic to talk about. MO himself said that he would like to do some more casual stuff now. I was about to give up on him with TSODE, but then there was TB3 which didn't sound too bad (and I just looove oriental sounds!). However, Guitars was the last album I got and already it changed my opinion on MO. It is like a disappointment mixed with an awareness that everything goes to hell eventually. I am too young to have experienced the breakup of The Beatles or such things, but I may imagine that the people touched by these events had the same feelings as me. And I have to see it going on with Enya and her lots in Clannad, with Sting and some other aging artists. It's not that their music gets bad. It just gets less lively, less energic, calm as the way those people would presumably live in their weekend houses in Black Forest, Isle of Wight or Himalaya. And that's just not interesting to me. Moreover, they are making my whole impression on them so lukewarm and that really p*sses me off.

Maybe the retirement should be obligatory for artists.

Merci,

Dal
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: May 13 2002, 10:46

IMHO I thimk that it only seems that they already used their best ideas.
For instance : I'm 39 right now, I compose , I play musical instruments and yet no-one has ever heard it since I don't have a record contract. If I were able to let you hear some of my stuff, perhaps you'd be overwhelmd (somehow I doubt it, but just say that you would be). To you it would be a complete new experience as to Mike's music, you'd known that from 1968 on (if only you were that old).
So don't you think it has everything to do with getting used to it, and not being able to listen to it as you did the first time you heard it?

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 13 2002, 16:56

I think it's mostly that people change, especially when it comes to artistic motivation and inspiration. Also a factor, I think, is that after a while, it can seem like you've exhausted all the possibilities (which is as much of a point of view thing as anything else).

An artist I find interesting to look at in this case would be John Paul Jones (once bassist with Led Zeppelin). After Led Zeppelin broke up, he stepped out of the limelight for a long time, doing little bits of arranging work and various other things. He released his first solo album 3 years ago, and has recently followed it up with another, and to me at least, it sounds like he's anything but old and tired (he must be a bit older than Mike, I think in his 50s).

I think the fact that he took such a long break from recording is probably important - it meant that when he came to record his first album, it wasn't just a case of same old same old and he had fresh energy to approach the project with. If he'd been sat in the studio virtually every day for the past 30 years, it might have been a different story.

External influences can be important as well - I think that Tom Newman was probably very influential in bringing out the lively side of Amarok, for example, and I think that someone like that could do it again with Mike, if that's the way Mike wanted to go.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: May 14 2002, 18:45

Cross-reference Korg's last paragraph with a topic I started around six weeks ago...'Who would you like to see Mike work with in the future?' - I'm convinced that a collaboration of some sort would be a positive step forward in rejuvenating, perhaps even redefining, Mike's sound and energy.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: May 15 2002, 05:23

I'm not old, but I'm extremely boring.
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: May 15 2002, 10:08

I was born boring, it's just Mike's music that makes my life interesting (lol).

And I totaly agree with T4 when stated that the result of two musicians working together can be more then just one plus one.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: May 15 2002, 21:48

Guitars, boring? MB, boring? Well, it depends on what you're looking for in terms of 'exciting' music. As you get older your tastes do change and your perception of what is 'good music' change too.

I'm now 36 and have been a MO fan since I was about 11 - i've found myself change as Mike has - at first I would only listen to instrumentals, preferably with guitars. When Mike first experimented with vocal songs I hated it and even gave up on him for five years after Earth Moving. Then, when I came back to his music and discovered some of his latest stuff I found it fresh and envigorating.

Maybe i'm just getting old!

Tim

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Dalriada Offline

Posted: May 16 2002, 04:33

You really made me think now... I started wondering about such a big things that hardly had anything to do with MO at the end... I mean, getting old and stuff... I'd say that getting old is a crime on your own persona because all those things you found so important at the time when all your energy was spent on rebellion are later on turning less iportant. You start laughing at the things you were once ready to die for. Is that not betraying the person you were?

Well, however... I'm not interested in MO's newest discography anymore and my husband stopped somewhere around Earthmoving (he actually didn't even know if/that MO had anything out after '85 - but then he met me. My husband. Not MO) We just had a nice afternoon these days, I was listening to my poor recording of live Platinum, then let the CD. Then my hubby came and we listened to it together. In fact, I think that was the first mutual orgas... Hey, what am I talking about? Forget it...

I think I wanted to say that MO's earlier works are very inspiring.

Ah, well...

Thank you all for your comments!

Dal
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: May 16 2002, 07:10

Hi there,

How old are you Dal ?

Your last post is very interesting, especially the mutual orgas... oups, sorry, especially when you realise that we all change, that you will, so does Mike who found many ways to keep going on with his music, which is PRECISLY what makes him such a great artist.

And that's nothing to do with betraying anybody! You are NOT "one thing" created one day that has to be devotedly adored until the last day, you are a changing spirit with evolving moods and evolutional artisitic tastes. If you don't, then you are boring !!

I'm so happy Mike changes, I love so much TB and I would be so bored to hear it again and again through every new album (but I often hear THE TB again). I think the TB sequels (2,3,TMB) are another example of changing artistic percetption ! They're all very different and prove his own capacity of evolution.

Errr, I was born boring, am I not ?
Poor son of mine when he'll be older smile I don't know if I'll show him how to love MO that way !!

Cheers
Jérôme
;-)

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
Dalriada Offline

Posted: May 17 2002, 07:05

I'm so terribly young that I don't like going on and shocking people around with my age.

You could have assumed by my defendance of Die-young-and-be-a-pretty-corpse point of view.

Whoever is interested in my sexual activities is welcome to send me private messages.

On your own risk... }:->

Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: May 17 2002, 10:38

And what does your husband think of that?

--------------
Profile PM 
Dalriada Offline

Posted: May 19 2002, 18:31

What exactly?
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: May 20 2002, 02:17

I know for sure that my my wife wouldn't like it if I spoke in details about my sexual activities, so.....

But then, perhaps you have a more open relationship and who am I to judge.

(I guess you were joking but so was I)

--------------
Profile PM 
Dalriada Offline

Posted: May 20 2002, 17:14

Ah, well, joking is the best way to make some fun in your life, I'd say. biggrin
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: May 20 2002, 17:55

I think that more than 90 % of the active 70ies artists have lost it- but not Mike. Maybe you like the time more when Platinum was out and you have good memorys of hearing it and of the things happened in that time. But I think Mike does better Albums in the 90ies. And the album which many fans consider as the best, Amarok, is from 1990- 17 years from TB. For me some of the 80ies Albums from Mike were boring but... I`m very satisfied with the track excerpts from Tres Lunas, his new album. I`t will not be a masterpiece, but it will be a real Mike.
Jerome C Offline

Posted: May 21 2002, 04:54

Hey Dal,

I desperatly tried to send you THE private message regarding the humoristic topic, but there is no way to do so in this not-so-bad/not-so-good forum software !

wink wink wink
affreux.jeje@free.fr

Mais non je drague pas. En plus l'Allemagne c'est pas à côté.

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: May 23 2002, 08:07

Wow! This forum has got onto mutual orgas...
Anyone attained this with Mikes stuff after Platinum? - looks like Mike has a solo one playing TBII live in Edinburgh! (just joking).

Actually Dalriada, I don't think you betray the person you were by giving up on or becoming indifferent to things you were passionate over when younger, UNLESS those things were really meaningful, eternal and life-changing (looking objectively at them - i.e. not things that SEEMED life-changing).
For example, I would consider it aweful if I lost my passion for God as a committed Christian and expect that to increase.

Well, this is getting off topic..sorry..i'll stop rambling now...

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: June 28 2002, 04:50

I don;t think Mike has lost anything, I just think he's moving into new sounds. I like some of the relaxing stuff, and I don't find Guitars boring at all. I don't see how you can find pieces like Far Above the Clouds, Out of Mind and that as any less energetic or lively than other works. Some of the Tr3s Lunas extracts are very exciting, and from what I've heared the album has been very well recieved. There will always be something on an album that you don't like, but I don't think you can ever call Mike boring. Even my least favourite album of his, Voyager, is at least very relaxing, and I can still see that it is a good album. Mike will never be boring, at least not for a very long time.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
17 replies since May 13 2002, 09:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net