Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I'd like to learn guitar, Some advices...?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Trinidad Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 12 2007, 08:01

Yes, yet another "I-wanna-be-like-Mike-Oldfield-without-knowing-about-music" guy here.

Some months ago I bought a MIDI keyboard, and I'm having much fun with it. But last saturday I picked an old guitar from my aunt, and now I need one!! :(

What would you recommend to a noob? Classical, spanish, acoustic, electric...? What else to look for?

I was thinking about an acoustic or an electric one. I suppose the electric ones can be connected to the computer, so I would be able to record the cacophonies I'd play, but I've read that some acoustic guitars can be connected to an amplifier... would that mean they can be connected to the computer as well?

Thank you very much in advance!
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2007, 14:52

Classical / Spanish is IMHO much easier to play than acoustic, because they have softer strings.

Electric is usually easier to play than acoustic, but may be also comparable (if the acoustic guitar is not rubbish). Everything depends on how near the strings are to the fretboard and how wide the fretboard is. I've seen electrics with a wide fretboard and acoustics with the narrow one, so there is no rule.

Advantage of acoustic above the electric is the versatility. To have fun with electric, you need an amp (or a computer, see below). Forget about bonfire singing with electric ;)

Both electric and acoustic have the same (or at least very similar) type of electric output, so You can connect an acoustic guitar wherever You may connect an electric one. Note however, that You *DO NEED* a preamplifier when connecting to the computer (no matter what type of guitar You use) to obtain a sensible effect. Believe me, I've been trying to play electric+computer without a preamp for few years, and the effects were miserable :/

So, citing the Ancient Dwarf (who knows what i'm talking about? ;) ), "It's Yer choice...".

cheers
amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2007, 15:30

Many thanks for the info, Amazarak :) .

I'll then search for a classic or spanish guitar, learn to play it, and wait to see what's the next step.

Cheers!
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2007, 04:27

Yes but on the other way, a spanish or classical acoustic guitar is not very versatile (forget about rock music), whereas with a folk acoustic guitar you can play a lot of tunes that sound like the music you like (assuming you are into folk/rock/pop, ...). Also if you want to strum chords (which is what 80% of playing songs is about) you may find the sound of acoustic more interesting.

Consider also that in any case, if you are a total beginner, you may find that playing a classical is nearly as difficult as playing an acoustic (and in some regards more difficult because of the size of the neck which can be bigger on classicals than on acoustics as pointer earlier Trinidad).
Anyway playing guitar is not easy and it always *hurts* at the beginning, but for some differents reasons (soft/hard strings, neck size), but the obvious one is that your fretting hand is not used to this task (lack of suppleness...).

If I were you I would go for the guitar that sound like the music I like and want to play. I also began on a classical (because I thought it was a kind of guitar for beginner) but very soon I dropped it and bought an acoustic because the classical did not sound like the music I listen to.
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2007, 12:05

Quote (nushky @ Feb. 14 2007, 10:27)
If I were you I would go for the guitar that sound like the music I like and want to play. I also began on a classical (because I thought it was a kind of guitar for beginner) but very soon I dropped it and bought an acoustic because the classical did not sound like the music I listen to.

Yeah, that's what I started to think about after my last categorical post. If the classical is easier, then it will be more difficult to get frustrated, but it can be worse if I can't play what I like most... I like the sound of electrics, but I need to connect the amp, and I think I prefer something you can just pick and play (enoguh messes with the keyboard). I suppose acoustics would be an intermediate solution, but they're more difficult to play... Now I have more doubts than before :D .
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2007, 15:44

If I were to suggest anything, I think You will have the most fun with the acoustic one, it is not worth to spend money on one instrument just to switch to another after short time.

best regards
amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2007, 18:07

Quote (amazarak @ Feb. 15 2007, 21:44)
If I were to suggest anything, I think You will have the most fun with the acoustic one, it is not worth to spend money on one instrument just to switch to another after short time.

That's right, I don't want to waste my money. I suppose the acoustic one would be the best choice.

Thanks, Amazarak. And thanks, Nushky (I was a little impolite in the previous post).

Just another little question, if somebody knows: I've seen an acoustic guitar kit (guitar, cover, tuner and 3 plectrums) at 99 euros, of brand "Rochester". Seems cheap, but I don't know about the quality... Anybody knows?
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2007, 04:34

No problem since nowhere in your posts did I notice any impoliteness !  

I don't know about this brand "Rochester", nor can I find info on the internet ?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2007, 05:33

I made the mistake, many years ago, of buying a very cheap acoustic guitar (understandably, since I had virtually no money at the time). Well, I did learn to play on that instrument, and I stuck with it for years (because I still had no money).

But when I eventually did buy a good guitar (a Martin acoustic, after trying many, many alternatives), I realised how badly my progress had been limited by the poor guitar I'd had. I also realised that when you find the guitar that is right for you (and you won't know what it is until you experience it), it seems to feel like part of you. Instead of hindering what you're trying to do, it seems to help. There's a feeling of rightness.

So my suggestion would be this:
Learn to play using the guitar your aunt gave you, so that you can at least play a few chords reasonably fluently (which may only take a few weeks). Then play as many guitars in the shops as you can, until you find 'the one' that feels and sounds right. You need to be able to play a bit, in order to recognise it, you see. And don't suppose that the one that feels right will be the most expensive. In my case that was most certainly not true.

[I've just realised that I may have misunderstood about your aunt's guitar - that she hasn't given it to you, but you just happened to pick it up and play it. Is that right? If so, maybe you could borrow it for a couple of weeks?]
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2007, 07:27

That's right, Alan, she hasn't given me her guitar; I had the idea of getting a guitar in my mind for some time, and I just tried with it when I had a chance to know my feelings. As soon as I achieved to play a few notes of a simple melody from TB, the corners of my mouth touched my ears. She has a newer one, so she wouldn't have any problem to give me that guitar, but it's as old as myself, out of tune, has a missing string, hasn't been used (and mantained) for a while... I don't know if the effort of the restoration would be worth it.

As you say, I could go to the shops and try the guitars myself, but, as you've pointed, having played just some minutes in my life, all them would be the same for me. And there's only one (good) instruments shop where I live, so there aren't many options. Maybe I could go to the shop and "try" the guitars one or two hours each day :D .

I'll think about it. Thank you!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2007, 10:29

Quote (Trinidad @ Feb. 16 2007, 12:27)
it's as old as myself, out of tune, has a missing string, hasn't been used (and mantained) for a while... I don't know if the effort of the restoration would be worth it.

The fact that the guitar is old doesn't mean a thing. Potentially, it may actually sound better now, because the wood will have nicely seasoned and settled in.

Out of tune? I don't really understand - all guitars need tuning frequently anyway. Or do you mean it can't be tuned properly because there's something wrong with the guitar machines??

A missing string? That's nothing. Since it's an old guitar the strings would in any case be long past their prime - strings are disposable things that often need replacing on any guitar - so you'd need to buy a whole new set anyway.

So I'm not sure that any significant 'restoration' would be necessary. I still think that if you were to borrow it, buy a new set of strings for it, learn how to tune it, and learn to play just a few chords, you'd find yourself in a more empowered position to make a proper choice.
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2007, 12:29

Well, you know, I don't know about guitars, so I supposed that, being old and neglected, it could have some damages that would be difficult or relatively expensive to repair. But that's true, even if it has those flaws, it can be a good and cheap start.

I think I'll take your advice; I really don't have anything to lose. When I feel I need something better, I'll search for another one; if I just find guitar isn't for me, at least I won't have lost 150+ euros :) .
Profile PM 
11 replies since Feb. 12 2007, 08:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net