Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I want to make a track...., Help me out!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Lasse Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 19 2004, 19:52

I got sooo many ideas in my head. I need some kind of music programs, so I can put my ideas into it. I've always wanted to build my own tracks. Especially everytime after listening to Mike...heh!

What good programs are out there? Or anything else I might need...

Thank you.
Profile PM 
Yuval Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 21 2004, 08:21

there are many softeare u may use.
personally, I recommend Cubase sx
Good luck with getting your ideas out of your head
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 21 2004, 12:58

I am not saying cubase is bad :) but if you have absolutely no experience you should start with something easy what has a step sequencer and so on...

my recommendation is FL Studio :)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
ktran Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2004, 23:54

Well, the tool you want to use will be a function of what you want to do with it? If you're looking to sequence midi tracks, then something like FL studio would be a good thing. If you play a physical acoustic, non-midi instrument (and yes, an electric guitar is an acoustic instrument), then a program that also does digital audio would be a better bet.

There are some good free programs here and there. Audacity is a multitrack audio editor that works like a multitrack tape recorder, pretty much how MO started by playing over recordings of himself. There's also a free version of Quartz Audio Master that does both midi and audio. I started out just recording tracks and then building on that. The first results won't be spectacular, but if you keep at it, you'll keep getting better and better. Just be careful at the beginning that you don't get too lost in learning and trying out software that you let it affect the music making!

Check out Shareware Music Machine for a bunch of freeware and shareware and demo music programs.

rgds,

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 23 2004, 07:15

I started out by bouncing tracks between two stereo tape machines, but I guess that's not the kind of solution you're looking for!

I think I'd agree with ktran - it depends on what you want to do. Cubase is a fairly versatile package, but I'd agree with ktran's advice of trying some of the free software packages out there, so you can get an idea of what sort of features you want.

Along with Cubase, Cakewalk Sonar would be a good one to look at, if you're wanting to buy something along those lines, as it offers fairly similar things. If you're interested more in working with audio than with MIDI, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Pro Tools - the LE version is very reasonably priced, though it can only be bought along with one of Digidesign's audio interfaces (which isn't a bad thing, if you ask me, but if you would prefer to use a different interface/soundcard, then it's not the solution for you).

You'll find that some software packages are good for developing ideas with, but get in the way when you have a very fixed idea of what you want to do, while others won't get in the way when you have those more fixed ideas, but won't give you any help with the ideas, if they're not fully developed. For that reason, many people will have a selection of different packages for different functions.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2004, 08:41

Quote (ktran @ Sep. 22 2004, 23:54)
Check out Shareware Music Machine for a bunch of freeware and shareware and demo music programs.

Wow, that's fab - I honestly had no idea there was so much free audio software around. That might prove very useful - thanks ktran!
Profile PM 
ktran
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 23 2004, 12:02

Of course, there's also Pro Tools Free:
http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/

the only thing is that it doesn't work on Windows 2000/XP

rgds,

Khoa Tran
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2004, 07:00

:O :O :O

*gasp* *gasp* *choke* *choke*

!!!

... Big download, but I'll probably have to surrender.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2004, 17:20

Quote (Lasse @ Sep. 20 2004, 01:52)
I got sooo many ideas in my head. I need some kind of music programs, so I can put my ideas into it. I've always wanted to build my own tracks. Especially everytime after listening to Mike...heh!

Anyway, keep us informed of your progress ;)

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
Daddybird Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2004, 09:26

Guys, I thank you too, I always play my own songs on my guitars and piano, I hope now I can finally produce something in MP format.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2004, 10:24

An additional piece of software to look at would be Mackie's Tracktion. It's fairly simple and low in cost (in fact, if you're lucky and look around, you might catch one of the promo offers which will let you have a copy for free).

I've yet to try it, but it looks promising. More information at Mackie's website.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2004, 19:05

[Off topic - I hope this doesn't get deleted... :D]

I don't quite understand that 'free' ProTools thing above. If anyone had enough patience to download all of it :), I'd like a bit more info: Is it the real thing? Or is it just a demo, which, like the Finale 2004 demo, does almost nothing? :)

Of course, I know that ProTools has much greater capabilities than 8 audio tracks (not to mention its innumerable plug-ins...), but they'd just work fine for me. And also downloading it wouldn't be a big problem: in my earliest ADSL days (more than two years ago) I downloaded from somewhere a 63 MB mp3 of Amarok in 25 minutes... this one should take less than half that time. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2004, 20:27

It's pretty much a full version except it's only 8 tracks.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2004, 10:35

It's now also a fairly old version, so it'll not work on any newer systems (as noted above by ktran). As far as I know, it can also only record in stereo, and the number of MIDI tracks is limited too.

If you can work within its limitations, it's a good piece of software. I personally find Pro Tools, whether in its free or full versions, very well thought out when it comes to working with audio - all other things I've tried feel very clumsy in comparison (but, that's almost certainly partly because I've grown so used to its ways of working). Tracktion looks like it might share some things in common though. Try it and see if you like it...
Profile PM 
Jameson Kimball Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2004, 22:05

I use Guitar Pro 4, it is a 10-track MIDI program that uses standard notation and tablature. I have composed 2 CDs using it.

--------------
www.soundcloud.com/jamesonkimball
Profile PM 
Daddybird Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2005, 09:40

Quote (Jameson Kimball @ Dec. 31 2004, 22:05)
I use Guitar Pro 4, it is a 10-track MIDI program that uses standard notation and tablature. I have composed 2 CDs using it.

I've got it too, but I think its too limited to compose versatile music. No real effects and the mixing is very difficult. I can't even get the Midi to WAVE, I can hear nothing. (I want to make it wave so I can mix the Midi with Cubase).
Profile PM 
15 replies since Sep. 19 2004, 19:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net