Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I think I decided...., would like advice tho....< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 24 2008, 12:47

A couple of months ago I left a post about celebrating moving by buying a (real Gibson)Les Paul or SG. The Les Paul seemed a more logical choice. Then I changed my mind due to gas prices and decided to a get a motorcycle, a 250cc size cruiser with 85+ MPG. I wanted a Yamaha V-star 250. Well, about the time I wrote that, everyone who wanted a scooter but preffered a smaller motorcycle bought them up, Honda Rebel 250 included. I grew so exhasperated with the Austin dealers(and other nearby cities) that I ordered this guitar.....no obligation yet, but I want IT!!!! The bike was $5000, this is $3000, so maybe later I might get the bike. I want this Parker Fly Guitar. The only dealer for this guitar in the music capital of Texas had one in stock. I spent an hour with it and am blown away.  Only five pounds it is SO light! And so high tech. The best fret access design of any guitar. Both magnetic and piezo pickups, I figure I'll run the magnetics thru my multi FX box into 2 channels of my mixer, run the piezos thru another channel and use the mixer's on-board FX for that.  No one here has ever written about the Fly, so I wanted Tubular oppinions if possible. $2,900 dollars, I ordered the cherry. Guitar players give me oppinions before I write the check. See it here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product....=511291

Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: June 24 2008, 17:16

I can´t give you advise on guitars or bicycles....but if you are in money need, maybe you have a child you can sell to a Chinese childrens-factory? they should cash in at 5.000 £   :-)
If no kids available, then consider selling your kidney   :D
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 24 2008, 22:43

I don't understand. I don't need to sell a child. I'm just trying to hear from someone who has played one of these.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 25 2008, 08:52

I've played one.Only one of the lower end ones though.I'm a self confessed snob and a typically conservative player.But.....i was seriously impressed.The neck was a joy to play.I'm not convinced by their boast of acoustic sounds as the on board piezo sounds a little brittle to these ears but with a little tweeking and a couple of FXs it could probably do a fair acoustic impression.The trem's good too.The little wheel below it makes setting the ideal tension a doddle.And the supplied 'buckers do everything you'd expect of this type.
 I am a real old fashioned "if it ain't made of wood and it doesn't have one of the Big Names on the headstock i don't want it" person but if this kind of guitar's your bag then go for it.

But i would prefer an LP. ;)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 25 2008, 10:37

Well, I've never held such a piece of precision in my life. The music store in Austin is getting it in tomorrow. I instructed them to keep the box sealed till I get there. Black cherry, the same as in the link. I can't wait. I have a feeling I'll never part with it.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 25 2008, 10:40

Fair play to you mate.Let us know how you get on with it.

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 26 2008, 16:21

Oh my God. I went to go get my new guitar. The box was still sealed as promised. When I opened my Fly my jaw dropped to the ground. It is so gorgeous!!! The black cherry is so much hotter looking than the mahogany one I played. This thing is the finest musical instrument I ever owned. I think anyone who loves precision and beauty will choose this guitar even over a Gibson ES-335. The sound is incredible. I'm gonna be busy for a while.........
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 30 2008, 08:06

How you getting on with it after a few days?Have you managed to put it down yet? :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 30 2008, 13:01

I've played a lot of guitars in my life, but the Parker Fly is pretty much going to make them all obsolete, except for one. In 1989 I bought a high-end Takamine acoustic that I will never part with. The Fly......is perfection. Anyone who can afford this guitar needs one.......desperately. No, I'm not a rich man or snob. I saved for ages to buy this masterpiece(or a motorcycle). All I can say is, those of you who get a chance to try one...you'll be glad you did. It's the best guitar made now. I know enough about guitars now to say that this git will catch on(and hopefully DROP IN COST) so that many can afford it for the same as say, a $1000 American Strat. I am sold, in love, hooked. This guitar was the result of pure genious.
Jimbo

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
8 replies since June 24 2008, 12:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net