Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I Got Rhythm!!!!! WOW!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
AmarokFae Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 14 2006, 20:41

Not only am I the biggest Mike Oldfield fan... EVER, but I'm also a musical theatre/movie buff. I just heard Platinum for the first time today, and I went into shock after hearing "I Got Rhythm." The lyrics are from an old movie called "An American In Paris" starring Gene Kelly. One of my favourite movies! Who knew?

--------------
*+*Faerie Kisses*+*
Profile PM WEB 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: May 15 2006, 06:41

wonderful redition, isn't it?  :)

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 15 2006, 09:23

I remember when Platinum first came out, I was fascinated by the way Mike was playing with that 'I Got Rhythm' style - so unlike anything he'd done up to then. There are so many references to that Gene-Kelly-style of 50s music, like the scoobydoobops and so on, in Platinum itself - but all made anew, with an instantly recognisable Oldfieldian slant, even though the music was so different to what had gone before.
Profile PM 
signinstranger Offline

Posted: May 23 2007, 13:54

Quote (AmarokFae @ May 14 2006, 17:41)
Not only am I the biggest Mike Oldfield fan... EVER, but I'm also a musical theatre/movie buff. I just heard Platinum for the first time today, and I went into shock after hearing "I Got Rhythm." The lyrics are from an old movie called "An American In Paris" starring Gene Kelly. One of my favourite movies! Who knew?

AmarokFae:

The song's even older than that. From Girl Crazy (1930), by of course the great Gershwins (George and Ira). The version on PLATINUM is probably closer to the original slow version that premiered in Treasure Girl (1928).

A jazz standard long before Gene Kelly and An American in Paris.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 23 2007, 14:01

funny that you mention this song because i was listening to it yesterday and i had forgot how wonderful it was. It was some of my favorite tracks some years ago.
I think Mike Oldfield is outstanding when we talk about vocals songs. I would not mind if he did that again. I know he would make it beacuse when you hear Surfing, well what can i say; it is outstanding.................   :cool:
A new album with some vocals songs and some instrumentals.

But first; Orchestral   :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 23 2007, 16:24

I was reading in Changeling today about his trip to the States and the effect it had on the development of Platinum. Back in 1980 I had no idea where he'd been - I just bought the album and listened to it over and over again. If I'd realised the circumstances around the recording of it, back then, I'd have been a lot less puzzled than I was.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: July 17 2010, 04:23

Looking on Amazon Future Release Section I notice Brian wilson has a Album out Shortly Reimagines Gerswin..   Will be interesting to hear his take on "I got Rhythm"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp....=468294

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2010, 02:36

I was listening to my very old but perfectly playable cassette version of Platinum just last night for perhaps the first time in a couple of years. A very under-rated album and definitely a shift in music form from long instrumentals previously.

When I first listened to "I Got Rhythm" in 79/80 during my radical teen years, I didn't really have much time for it, primarly becuase it was slow, boring and seemed totally out of style with Mike's usual signatures.

But now that I'm a middle-aged git, I have come to appreciate not only the album a whole lot, but also that particular track. It really is an immaculate production... soooo chilled out its positively horizontal! It also captures the imagination and soothes the mind instantly.

Great stuff!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2010, 05:15

Quote (New Incantation @ Sep. 17 2010, 02:36)
I was listening to my very old but perfectly playable cassette version of Platinum just last night for perhaps the first time in a couple of years. A very under-rated album and definitely a shift in music form from long instrumentals previously.

When I first listened to "I Got Rhythm" in 79/80 during my radical teen years, I didn't really have much time for it, primarly becuase it was slow, boring and seemed totally out of style with Mike's usual signatures.

But now that I'm a middle-aged git, I have come to appreciate not only the album a whole lot, but also that particular track. It really is an immaculate production... soooo chilled out its positively horizontal! It also captures the imagination and soothes the mind instantly.

Great stuff!

I like Mike's version of IGR, but none of the others I've heard (I dislike Gershwin's music in general). My main gripe about Platinum is that it's incredibly short - Todd Rundgren would have fitted both sides on to one side of an LP. (Speaking of TR he was over here in Western Australia for a concert. Well, a concert of sorts: playing in a park as third-billing behind other people I'd never heard of.)
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2010, 04:08

Heard some Samples off the Brian Wilson   Gershwin Covers Album... Dont think Ill buy it..     Heres his Take on  IGR...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1DOjrGGDiM

Wendy Roberts looks hotter than Brian Anyway..

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 26 2014, 09:09

I think Mike did a great job with this cover, the original never did anything for me, but I love Mike's version, and I really like his guitar work on this track.
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: April 28 2014, 05:35

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ April 26 2014, 14:09)
I think Mike did a great job with this cover, the original never did anything for me, but I love Mike's version, and I really like his guitar work on this track.

HAs no-one mentioned the "alternative" take/mix of IGR from the "Impressions" album??
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 28 2014, 07:06

I don't know about that mix. What's it like?
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: April 28 2014, 10:43

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ April 28 2014, 12:06)
I don't know about that mix. What's it like?

Very different... Much slower.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 29 2014, 07:22

Really? I thought the track was fairly slow as it is!!
Profile PM 
14 replies since May 14 2006, 20:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net