Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I can't stop playing this thing, I can't stop playing this thing< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sonilink Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 12 2005, 07:57

I can't stop playing this thing it is just Mike's best album!!! :/

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2005, 20:44

be gone to france with you :)

2 france
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2005, 05:38

Quote (Sonilink @ Jan. 12 2005, 07:57)
I can't stop playing this thing it is just Mike's best album!!! :/

I'm not sure that I'll ever think that of Amarok, but I did play it again last night and probably enjoyed it the most I ever have up until now.  Familiarity does lead to a greater appreciation with Amarok.  I was particularly struck last night by how Mike hits us with climax after climax as it draws to its conclusion.

But I still had to mute the volume when "Thatcher" reared her ugly head.  Sorry to harp on, but boy, do I wish there was an alternate mix without her!

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2005, 06:30

Quote (familyjules @ Jan. 12 2005, 17:38)
But I still had to mute the volume when "Thatcher" reared her ugly head.  Sorry to harp on, but boy, do I wish there was an alternate mix without her!

You could always burn a CD without it!! :cool: But then you would deny yourself the pleasure of the exquisite choral arrangement after her.  

I think much the same way you do Sonilink, and you'll find that a lot of other people do too. I don't only think it is Mike's best album, Amarok is my favourite album of all time (and it's up against some pretty stiff competition). I think the main reason why I love it so much is that it has everything: happy bits, sad bits, loud bits, quite bits, guitar bits, piano bits, vocal bits, percussion bits, peaceful bits, chaotic bits, many of the best melodies I've ever heard in my life, and all aranged in a way that is totally unlike anything I've ever heard before or probably will hear again.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2008, 23:12

Quote (raven4x4x @ Jan. 13 2005, 06:30)
Quote (familyjules @ Jan. 12 2005, 17:38)

You could always burn a CD without it!! :cool: But then you would deny yourself the pleasure of the exquisite choral arrangement after her.  

I think much the same way you do Sonilink, and you'll find that a lot of other people do too. I don't only think it is Mike's best album, Amarok is my favourite album of all time (and it's up against some pretty stiff competition). I think the main reason why I love it so much is that it has everything: happy bits, sad bits, loud bits, quite bits, guitar bits, piano bits, vocal bits, percussion bits, peaceful bits, chaotic bits, many of the best melodies I've ever heard in my life, and all aranged in a way that is totally unlike anything I've ever heard before or probably will hear again.

Hi Raven - looks like I am agreeing with you again.  I am now 2/3 through buying Mike CDs and this is still my favourite - and probably my favourite CD at the moment.

The arrangement of melodies, the themes and variations, the complexity (mixed with bits of sublime simplicity) are all stunning in conception and execution.
Profile PM 
4 replies since Jan. 12 2005, 07:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net