Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I am taking my copy back for a refund, Quality and Copy protection< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
smcpoland Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 13 2003, 09:41

so,

CANADA's is not copy protected - as in a real CD and not a pseudo CD.

Where can I get one and will they ship to europe?  How much?  Then I will say whether the quality is good enough.

Must get some new atteries for my keyboard!!

regards
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: June 14 2003, 09:38

Well, I did successfully rip the music to mp3 format.  But now there's a distinct, random clicking noise in the right channel.  It is certainly not supposed to be there.  Without headphones it's not noticeable, but I can't win.  Even when I do get the music to rip it doesn't sound right!

It might've been a problem with the ripping process, but I can see no way to fix it.

This isn't right!  I shouldn't have to struggle just to hear a clean, unbroken copy!!!  When it's on the disk, it breaks at every track.  Ripped to mp3, there are random clicks.

Screw this!  Had these idiots thought a little bit ahead they should've realized this would cause problems!  Hell with it all.  I'm going to ask what the return policy is at foreigncd.com.  I doubt I can return anything that's opened, but I'm willing to try!!

I don't want to pay for a Canadian release before I return this copy; that'll just be giving warner more money, and might encourage them to make more so-called "copy protected" cd's!

I should NOT have to struggle to enjoy a clean, unbroken copy of music I PAY FOR!!!
Profile PM 
Welcome
Unregistered

Posted: June 14 2003, 09:43

to the original problems i was describing - the quality of the CD is Cr@p - whether it is the recording or not does not matter..... the tcking etc that others have noted are just so bad .... this was supposed to be such a buetiful piece of regeneration spolit by noise and clicking

I urge everyone to listen properly (through headphones if necessary ) and you will really hear how bad it is.....

regards
Sean

PS Virgin were great in giving my money back - excellent service
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 14 2003, 11:12

I don't want to pay for a Canadian release before I return this copy; that'll just be giving warner more money, and might encourage them to make more so-called "copy protected" cd's!

How do you come to that conclusion? I think that's kind of backwards. If anything, they'll release more non-copyprotected CDs seeing as many more people are ordering the Candian release then anything else.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Fox Offline

Posted: June 14 2003, 12:19

Easy.  If I buy the Canadian release without returning the UK version, it'll be one purchase for both versions!  We don't want any Copy Protected versions to remain unreturned for fear that the money will be used to improve the technology.

Our luck if one Copy Protected disk remains unreturned, they can say, "One person didn't return theirs.  It must have potential!  Keep making them."  :laugh:

The clicking I'm hearing -- I'll bet -- is the result of the copy protection interfereing with the ripping.  Probably their intent.  Since it happens at random locations, it's probably not on the recording itself.  Since I don't have a normal stereo, I can't be sure.
Profile PM 
smcpoland Offline

Posted: June 14 2003, 12:24

Quote (Fox @ June 14 2003, 12:19)
 Since I don't have a normal stereo, I can't be sure.

So Fox - what do you call a "don't have a normal stereo" as what is it?
Profile PM 
Slartibartfaster
Unregistered

Posted: June 14 2003, 14:49

"So Fox - what do you call a "don't have a normal stereo" as what is it?"

Its must be one of them tin box monogramic 'hismastersvoice' players we read about on the Tube bells warning label, that does allow you to play a non stop copy of a protected CD, but unfortunately plays it in double monophonic sound only.
Fox Offline

Posted: June 14 2003, 17:42

I don't have anything that will just play the cd like a regular cd.  All I have is my computer.  It's a semi-new plastic box.  The Thought Police took my old tin box away years ago
:D
Profile PM 
sunjammer44 Offline

Posted: June 15 2003, 03:54

I returned my copy protected TB 2003 yesterday to the Virgin Megastore where I purchased it.  I've ordered the non-copy protected cd from Tubular Net.  Nice one Olivier  ;) When will these well-heeled, big wheels in the record industry ever learn that people won't accept sub standard goods.  You can rip some people off some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time.

The copy protected version actually blew my DVD ROM drive which therefore had to be replaced.  I'm seriously considering billing WEA/Warner for the damaged caused.  It ain't cool folks  :( Anyway, the store assistant informed me that I wasn't the first person to return a copy of this cd, so at least that's good news and people are returning them, even in my town.

--------------
Somewhere in England...
Profile PM 

Posted: June 15 2003, 08:46

I've ordered the non-copy protected cd from Tubular Net.

Umm, I believe what you *meant* to say was "I've ordered the non-copy protected cd from CANADA."

Canada rules!  :D

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 15 2003, 13:01

It's certainly an beautifull country, I spent last August in Vancouver and the Rockies, amazing place I'd go back anyday.
Anyway Musically Inspired are you not from Nova Scotia? So there's a bit of Scot in you laddie? ;)

ps Sorry for going way, way of topic
Profile PM 
sunjammer44 Offline

Posted: June 15 2003, 14:52

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ June 15 2003, 08:46)
I've ordered the non-copy protected cd from Tubular Net
Umm, I believe what you *meant* to say was "I've ordered the non-copy protected cd from CANADA."

Canada rules!  :D.

No, what I mean is that I've ordered the non-copy protected cd from tubular.net

England rocks :D

--------------
Somewhere in England...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 15 2003, 15:13

Quote (sunjammer44 @ June 15 2003, 08:54)
The copy protected version actually blew my DVD ROM drive which therefore had to be replaced.  I'm seriously considering billing WEA/Warner for the damaged caused.

I've heard it suggested somewhere that it's worth trying the small claims courts, as big companies rarely bother to turn up.

Also, contact BBC Radio 4's You and Yours programme ( youandyours@bbc.co.uk ) about it - I'm trying to persuade them to run a feature on it, so the more cases they hear of, the better.

You may also find some mileage in contacting Mike via www.mikeoldfield.org - I certainly think he should know about this, if the product was so bad that it's caused damage to your equipment.
Profile PM 

Posted: June 15 2003, 15:34

So there's a bit of Scot in you laddie?

Actually, no. My backgrounds are actually German. My grandfather is German. My father was born in Ontario and my mother was born in Newfoundland and I was born in New Brunswick and we moved to Newfoudland and then to Nova Scotia lol. My last name Blume is German.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
KtheC
Unregistered

Posted: June 19 2003, 07:03

I have had no problems with my copy.  I purchased the
4 disc box set.  The dvd play wonderful on my consule
player and the music is great.
The only regret I have is that the songs are broken up.
This is a big drawback, I think.  In my mind the continuity
goes out the window because of this.
Slazibartfaster
Unregistered

Posted: June 21 2003, 14:38

"The only regret I have is that the songs are broken up.
This is a big drawback, I think"[/B]

Thats the whole point, this album is meant to have a continous run, except for the side one and side two.

Take the CD back and complain about the copy protection messing things up. :(
KtheC Offline

Posted: June 21 2003, 20:24

I re-burned my copied and had the software piece the songs together.  THis way it play perfectly on my computer.  The original disc is for car and home use.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 22 2003, 00:14

That's exactly the sort of thing you shouldn't have to be doing - there's no reason why it can't be released on a format which works in all CD players (i.e. on a red book audio CD)...Warner Canada have proved that.

Of course, if TB2, and other CDs of continuous music broken into tracks, also play in the same broken up manner, then copy protection can't be blamed (well, you can try ;)), but if it's just Tubular Bells 2003, I'd be taking it back if I were you (doing the honest thing and disposing of the duplicate at the same time, of course...)
Profile PM 
KtheC Offline

Posted: June 24 2003, 13:58

No reason to return it.  It play perfectly in my car and home stereo.  I just wanted something to be able to play on my PC.
Now I have it.
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: July 25 2003, 08:57

Hah!  I finally did it!  I managed to return my copy protected CD, and order a genuine Canadian edition.  I'll show them!  Bwaahahahahaha!

It'll be interesting to see 20 years from now how history remembers this Copy Protection fiasco.  If Warner releases it in the USA (after a lengthy lag time for no apparent reason) as a copy protected version, I wonder what will happen.  Then people like myself won't hesitate to return them, and they'll get faster response times.  We Americans complain faster--and louder--than any other nation, so they'll definately hear from us if they make the same mistake twice  haha!

Maybe they'll wise up.  They'd do well to attract some Americans to the fold.  But I've done my part to discourage the Copy Protection software: I returned it against all the odds!
Profile PM 
113 replies since May 31 2003, 05:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net