Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I am taking my copy back for a refund, Quality and Copy protection< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 04 2003, 13:23

Is it nice to see TB2003 out of the charts? No but it is nice to see the copy protection issue backfiring badly on WEA.

TB2 and 3 did better in the charts for very different reasons, different times and at the end of the day they were different recordings. Not that many people out there were interested in a rerecording of an album they probably thought was fine the way it was. People generaly don't like being taken for a ride and I guess TB2003 had people taken for a ride on a lot of different levels.
Profile PM 
VetleMakt Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2003, 17:08

I haven't bought TB2003 yet, but I will. Because it's one of Mikes.

That said, I'm angry at WEA for putting that copy protection on it, as I feel it's my right to play my CD's in whatever player I'd like. I've yet to burn a CD-R copy of one of Mikes records, but if I did, it would be with the intention of having a back-up copy. I can see nothing wrong with that.
That aside, using only the original, I'd expect my DVD, PC or any other device to play this product just as well as it would on a regular CD-player. As I've come to understand, this is not the case with TB2003. Not only will it play badly on some (perfectly good) CD-players, it's also been known to damage certain players. <!>

Now, WEA bitching is nothing else than what I'd expect. The motivation for them is cash. This new way of exploiting, though, is sickening.

What really disappoints me in this matter is the way Mike tackles the situation.

What do you get out of this, Mike? I'm sure it's not money, as a lot of people return your latest piece of art in exchange for their money back...

I would encourage everyone to return their copy of Tubular Bells 2003, and buy the canadian version online instead.
I understand this one is copy protection-free...

[U][/U][U]

--------------
Aberdeen, Sundsvall, Århus, Cardiff, Sevilla, Gdansk, Napoli -
Never been there.
Profile PM WEB 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 07 2003, 11:20

Well, Tubular Bells 2003 finally showed up here in the U.S. shops on Tuesday the 5th, and from the looks of the packaging there is NO copy protection!  Getting ready to unwrap it...
MO fan Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2003, 12:27

Quote (Guest @ Aug. 07 2003, 11:20)
Well, Tubular Bells 2003 finally showed up here in the U.S. shops on Tuesday the 5th, and from the looks of the packaging there is NO copy protection!  Getting ready to unwrap it...

So you never got the 'Weapon of Mass Computer Destruction' like we got in the UK.  :p
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2003, 10:54

Wow. so it's finally being sold in the USA. about freakin' time. (too bad i already bought my copy when in Germany). being sold without copy protection is actually kinda strange (especially in the USA) considering how paranoid everyone is here about everything; one would think the it would be copy protected.

Still satisfied with my version with the copy protection. i've posted elsewhere around here somewhere about that. lol

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2003, 17:23

so i got my TB2003 today..on computer it sounds like shit, that doesn't really matter to me..cd- and dvd-players play it ok (playing meaning it reads it fine, no jumps or like that)..but the quality of the sound is not as good as for example on Tres Lunas..it's nothing really really bad, quess i just have to accept then that mike will release low quality music in the future..because that's what it is when i look this from my point of view..ain't going to change my players or search for unprotected record around the world

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 08 2003, 17:35

I also got the impression that it didn't sound quite as good as his previous works (as I've said elsewhere). I'd have to compare a copy protected and an Audio CD version to be able to tell whether it's the copy protection at fault (certainly filling digital audio with errors is not a way to get good quality sound). It's unfortunate that Mike doesn't care about that kind of thing.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2003, 17:51

hm..yes there's that if..if it's not the copy protection that lowers the quality..then i've made hasty conclusions..but guess we'll hear about that someday

and..have to take back a bit what i said..my cd-rom that i normally don't use seems to play the cd..

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2003, 20:22

I just got the non-copy protected edition, and it sounds amazing. On my computer it dosen't sound the best (probably because of my less than brilliant speakers) but on our surround-sound system I can't fault it. All the instruments are crystal clear. Prehaps it is the copy-protection system on it, because mine sounds just fine.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2003, 13:35

Having heard both cop and non-cp versions, the non-cp sounds better.  The album sounds great, as well it should anyway.

Now that I have a clean copy without blips and pauses I'm pleased with it.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2003, 15:22

forgot to mention the music itself, it's great and wonderful and i like it much more than the original :cool:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 11 2003, 10:12

Quote (tubularbills @ Aug. 08 2003, 10:54)
being sold without copy protection is actually kinda strange (especially in the USA) considering how paranoid everyone is here about everything; one would think the it would be copy protected.

Well, in spite of being paranoid we don't have a huge market for pirated CDs here in the states, at least that I'm aware of.  Maybe it happens in New York or some other larger cities, but not very often as the police force would shut the vendors down pretty quickly.  I have never had the pleasure of visiting Europe, but my friends who have been to various countries over there, as well as Ukraine have told me stories of street vendors selling suspicious CDs.  As a general rule, we just don't have that here.  We probably have a bigger problem with pirated movies, as well as counterfiet name brand clothing.
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2003, 13:19

F**K COPY PROTECTION

VIVA LA MUSICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
VIVA FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wanted to make a back-up copy and i just can't do it!!
shame on you WARNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
Mániákus
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 22 2003, 08:52

SONY CDR701 not comply???? NOT NOT -->
TB2003 by Warner Music Spain not Coply with RED BOOK STANDARD!!!!

I love Mike Oldfield's music
I HATE Warner Music Spain!!!!!!

I buy original CD and can not play!!! :-(
113 replies since May 31 2003, 05:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net