Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hurray !< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
GMOVJ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 21 2000, 04:05

Hi all !

Hurray ! Hurray ! Hurray, I've got it ! I'm listening HO right now.
I'm Very Happy, because :
1/ I've got ALL album ! I'd like to thank Tubular Store smile, fnac.com, and esprit.
2/ This is NOT a bad album. Even if I prefear things we all often call "Older Stuff", those songs are simply great. Very good pop songs (IMO), far above things we can hear nowadays. Good lyrics, good musics.... and Music From the Balcony is another small Amarok... Need to say anymore ?

Thanks all for your reviews ! That's the first time that I'm listening HO, and I don't need to let it grow on me !!! It's soooo good ! You see Fox, you're not alone at all ! wink

Like Ugo said, you don't have to reply, this is only to say that I'm loving those songs and this instrumental !

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2000, 17:53

Just take a close listen to "No Dream"... doesn't your skin creep during the whole song and especially in the final part? wink

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 21 2000, 18:45

Especially that guitar solo...there seems to be so much agression and frustration being let out there, with that really 'vicious' fuzzed sound. I think there is a lot being said through the music on that album (more than some fans would credit it for).
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2000, 03:01

I've listen this album during the whole WE...

Yes, they are IMO the best songs Mike have ever written ! Yes Ugo and Korgscrew, 'No Dream' and its guitar solo are wonderful, this sound is so unique...

And Mike is a very good singer indeed... All right, maybe you can find some mistakes, but this is what is great : this is real, the voice is on the razor edge, and this communicate so much differents feelings.

And music is sometimes so quite, so powerful, so fresh, so happy, so sad... a lot of feelings are expressed in these songs, not only by words, but also by music !

You know what, I would like the next album to be like that ! Heaven's Open 2 !!! biggrin One long instrumental, and 4 or 5 songs ! My three first LP were Discovery, FMO and Crises, and I like this format !!!

This is incredible thoses songs are so young ! So powerful, so .... So ! wink

Cheers
GMOVJ

[This message has been edited by GMOVJ (edited 09-25-2000).]

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
alex Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2000, 06:59

Heaven's Open was my first album of Mike Oldfield's and it impressed me so much that I knew there's no other Music and Musician that I can enjoy except Mike Oldfield...

And No Dream is favourite song of MO. I won't try to write what I feel when I listen to this, because I would have to be a poet if I wanted to do it!!!
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2000, 17:18

Well I'm glad there are others like me out there ;-).

Only MFTB had to grow on me before I liked it. The songs I liked instantly (especially Mr. Shame, Make Make and the title track). It's easy to tell there's emotion in the songs. I guess one does have to suffer to write.

Ironically, I feel like GMOVJ now. As of the date I write this, I have only 3 CDs left to get before I have all the main ones: Islands, Incantations and QE2. As a Mike Oldfield fanatic, I must get these last three ASAP!!!!

I bought HO at the same time I got EM and Guitars (the 3 albums I'd heard a lot of mixed feelings about). I heard a few excerpts on RealOldfield from Make Make and the title track. Make Make sounded sinister to me -something you don't hear too much from Mike -and it stuck in my head for days! The title track convinced me I should get the CD. The excerpt had the first minute and a half (or 2) of the whole thing. The strong guitar was the best part. The excerpt was powerful and every time I heard it I wanted it to continue. In my mind, that's the sign of a good CD ;-). I haven't found a bad one yet!

MFTB took a few listens before I really noticed it.

I enjoy this cd. It's different in mood. Unlike all his other lyric-based albums, this has a sinister, dark mood. A nice balance from EM and Discovery, and a welcome change of pace IMO.

Glad to hear others enjoy it, too.
Profile PM 
Man In Rain Offline

Posted: Dec. 19 2000, 03:43

Yesterday I browsed some MO site on the Internet and I got very angry when I read: 'Albums to avoid: EM, HO'.

I like these two albums. Maybe not all tracks, but I consider Holy, Hostage, Far Country, EM, No Dream, HO, Gimme Back, MTFB masterpieces. They haunted my mind, one after another, for longer time that any other Oldfield piece.

And MTFB is really great, equal to Oldfield's other best long instrumentals like Amarok, Crises, TB2 etc. It was written in a hurry and maybe it wasn't intended to be good, but it accidentally turned out a masterpiece.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 01 2002, 01:37

This is a strange album, Heaven's Open. Several really excellent songs in Heaven's Open and No Dream, and a very interesting instrumental. MFTB is half non-music and half incredable jazz. Needless to say, I like the jazz bit. No Dream is creepy, and has one of the best guitar solos I've ever heard. Heaven's Open (the song) is one I first heard when I got Best of...Elements, and after hearing it I wanted to get the album smile. Really positive and uplifting, and until I read about the album, I would not have believed you if you told me that Mike was singing on it. He really is quite a good singer (for this style of music).

This album has a very different feel to it than most of Mike's albums. In particular MFTB is a really wierd one. The jazz bits rock, but the rest of it is just blah. I can understand why most fans wouldn't like this album, but I find at least most of the tracks enjoyable. And yes, I too have all the albums (apart from exposed)

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
7 replies since Sep. 21 2000, 04:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net