Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: HR sounds great in fast forward!, really, it does............< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Bell(end) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 26 2005, 13:56

As with all of the MO albums I buy I ripped this album to my music library, whilst playing pt 1 I decided to select the play speed as 'fast' this means it plays the album in a little over half th normal time, it was just an experiment but it truly does sound beautiful IMO, fantabulous! Why don't you guys try and see what you think?

Rich

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
tanis573 Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 22:28

I tried it, and it doesn't sound that much better.  Some things sound a little awkward at this speed.

Besides, the song is beautiful even on normal speed.   :D

--------------
http://www.soundclick.com/mindbridge
Profile PM WEB 
tanis573 Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 22:39

Try playing Orabidoo at double speed.  That one sounds pretty cool.

--------------
http://www.soundclick.com/mindbridge
Profile PM WEB 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 18:14

I  did it a long time ago with AMAROK, both half speed and double speed. It's very interesting because you notice some curious moods that passes unnoticed when you hear it at standard speed. Very curious... Maybe I'll try it with Hergest Ridge...

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 21:55

Back when we still had turntables, I would get high and play 45's at 33 rpm.  That is really fun as well.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: May 23 2008, 09:19

Bill, that's FUNNY-I did that too, but when I was drunk (because that's how I was talking anyway-slow and slurred)!

:)
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 23 2008, 10:05

I haven't tried this with any of Mikes music but I've always loved playing "Happy puppet" from 10,000 Maniacs "Blind man Zoo" album at 45rpm, sounds great!

First time I played "Victorialand" by Cocteau twins I didn't realise the album should have been played at 45rpm... Yep it sounded a bit of a dirge  :zzz:

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: May 23 2008, 22:29

[quote=Matt,May 23 2008, 15:05][/quote]
First time I played "Victorialand" by Cocteau twins I didn't realise the album should have been played at 45rpm... Yep it sounded a bit of a dirge  :zzz:

:D I did exactly the same thing myself when I bought that album.Of course it`s such a long build up to that first track.I don`t think I realised what was going on till Elizabeth started singing.

One night last week I was at a kind of 70`s themed disco thing,where every single track he played was too fast.I don`t know if his turntable belt was on the way out,or if he just had the pitch way up or something?But by the end of the night I was absolutely sick to death of it.I would`nt have thought it possible that you could suck all the groove and feel out of a track like Le Freak,just by playing it slightly faster.But there you go that`s exactly how it sounded to me.Flat as a fart!

I actually find it impossible to listen to any kind of music I`m familiar with at the wrong speed,and take it seriously.Years ago my dad used to own an album of music recorded from one of those old time fairground organ things.God only knows why he thought that would be an essential acquisition to his vinyl collection?He obviously was`nt going through his whole "down with the kids" phase though that`s for sure.I can remember playing it in the house one night with a few friends round at 78rpm.I actually laughed so much that night I thought I was going to die.It`s amazing what alcohol can do to your whole humour perspective sometimes.

I`m kind of reminded now of one of those early Jean Michel Jarre albums.I can`t remember if it was Oxygene or Equinoxe now?I think it was probably Equinoxe but I could be wrong.Anyway on the second side of one of those albums towards the end.He plays the opening theme to the record at half speed or something.Good grief was that thing abysmal.The temptation to stick my index finger on the label and turn that thing round faster was almost unbearable.In the end though I probably went for the whole stylus ripped through the grooves approach.It`s always best to leave some kind of audible marker on there I`ve always felt.As it serves as a kind of future preserved warning beacon should you ever attempt to listen to it again.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 23 2008, 23:30

Quote (Dirk Star @ May 23 2008, 22:29)
I`m kind of reminded now of one of those early Jean Michel Jarre albums.I can`t remember if it was Oxygene or Equinoxe now?I think it was probably Equinoxe but I could be wrong.Anyway on the second side of one of those albums towards the end.He plays the opening theme to the record at half speed or something.Good grief was that thing abysmal.The temptation to stick my index finger on the label and turn that thing round faster was almost unbearable.In the end though I probably went for the whole stylus ripped through the grooves approach.It`s always best to leave some kind of audible marker on there I`ve always felt.As it serves as a kind of future preserved warning beacon should you ever attempt to listen to it again.

That ought to be Equinoxe; both albums end with a slow, meditative piece, but on Equinoxe, the closing part VIII is a recapitulation of part V. I actually love that album to bits; in fact, I think every single little itty bitty nanosecond of that album is perfect, as if a magical spell has been cast on the recording so every little crest and valley of every little waveform adjusted itself to its optimal position, so everything works fine. Not only that, but part V has what I consider to be one of the best melodies written in the last century.

If you have a problem with that kind of "never quite leaving its place", I wonder what you'd make of Joy Division's I Remember Nothing. If you can picture a musical zombie, that's I Remember Nothing.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: May 24 2008, 07:48

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 24 2008, 04:30)
Quote (Dirk Star @ May 23 2008, 22:29)

That ought to be Equinoxe; both albums end with a slow, meditative piece, but on Equinoxe, the closing part VIII is a recapitulation of part V. I actually love that album to bits; in fact, I think every single little itty bitty nanosecond of that album is perfect, as if a magical spell has been cast on the recording so every little crest and valley of every little waveform adjusted itself to its optimal position, so everything works fine. Not only that, but part V has what I consider to be one of the best melodies written in the last century.

If you have a problem with that kind of "never quite leaving its place", I wonder what you'd make of Joy Division's I Remember Nothing. If you can picture a musical zombie, that's I Remember Nothing.

Well I actually do like a lot of the rest of that album,and thought it was far better to Oxygene myself.It`s a very long time since I`ve listened to either of them though which was why I was a little confused there.Equinoxe Part 5 is still his greatest moment for me, love that track.When I was about 13/14 The Shadows did a cover version of it which was how I came to discover his music.Imo The Shadows version isn`t very good btw,but the melody still got me sufficently interested at the time I remember.

I don`t think I really have a problem with music that sounds as if it`s "dragging it`s feet" if it`s done in the right way.The thing was with Equinoxe that having heard the faster version which I did like at the time at the start of the album.I could never really get my head round the way he slowed it all down at the end.It`s just felt like I was walking through drying cement or something with lead boots on.I think I probably felt as if he was filling in time as well to make up the rest of the album.Maybe I`ll give it another listen over the weekend.Like I said it has been a very long time since I heard it.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: May 25 2008, 07:15

Ok I see what you`re saying now Sir M,it`s Equinoxe part 5 slowed down at the end and altered a little bit.I initially remembered it as the start of the album reprised or something.I`m still struggling listening to it though I have to say.Rest of the album still stands up suprisingly well though.Much better than I expected it to actually.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: May 25 2008, 12:20

The Shadows - Equinoxe part V
That's an amusing version. I had to buy The Shadows' Singles Collection a few years ago because I hadn't heard their Moonlight Shadow.
Profile PM 
Major Gowen Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2008, 01:44

I taped my parents' copy of Hergest Ridge and unwittingly recorded it at 45 rpm. Playing it back I thought it sounded a bit intense. Years ago I had a dansette record player which played at 16, 33, 45 and 78, thereby creating much needed 'playing records at the wrong speed' amusement.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2008, 09:19

I love Oxygene but to me Equinoxe wins everytime.By far the more complete sounding of the 2.Magnetic Fields is grand until the Hawiean bit.JMJ can make some amazing music but now and again i think the taste metre slips off the radar.
 Anyhoo speeding things up?Try FMO.Taurus 2 actually sounds really good.As i believe i've said before my Dad basically conned my young ears in a bid to get FMO to fit on one side of a C90 tape he sped it up to 45rpm.I didn't notice till i was finally allowed to play the LP on his beloved turntable.Bit of a shock.Platinum's another good one to play at 45rpm.Mike's scat singing sounds like a Jawa from Star Wars(OOTEENEE!! ).If you have a DVD player with a Pitch Control play the Caveman song and up the pitch.You can get a pretty good idea of how it would have sounded with Mike screaming.Quite an odd thing to be listening to a 19 screaming his heart out.But very funny!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2008, 11:59

Currently enjoying a lo-speed version of Nightshade(German) Promo done on Virtual DJ  :cool:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
El Mystico Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2008, 12:27

First five minutes of Tubular Bells sounds great at speed too. I used to do that when I was a teenageer, and still remember how it goes, thirty years later!
Profile PM 
15 replies since July 26 2005, 13:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net