Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (27) < ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: HR + Ommadawn limited editions available to order< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
christopher Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 12 2010, 22:37

I discovered the same thing tonight... The Second disc of HR contains the ORIGINAL mix... the one we've all been pirating for ages!  I compared my digital copy on my iPod to the one on the CD.  Hands down the CD on the Deluxe addition is better sound quality!  I'm really glad he decided to fade in the beginnings of both HR mixes... scares the shit out of me on shuffle!  Plus those damn flutes were too high and shrilly... glad he cut back... nice touch!  HR is now softer in the sections it should be and louder and more aggressive in the sections it should be!  Well done!!!  

To those of you who will find anything to bitch about... shut up!  He gave us what we've been wanting for years!  Ok so they may not have the original masters and they my have had to pull it off a vinyl... which is conjecture!  Point is... we got a really really good set this time!  TB was half hazard... meaning you had to buy the Ultimate Edition to get the wonderful Demo's.  From a marketing standpoint that was not the best choice they could have made!  

I'm VERY VERY PLEASED with these Deluxe Editions!!!  

I live in Nashville and LA and work in the biz... I can safely tell you that Record companies are always going to screw things up!!!  They hire interns and morons who haven't a clue about the artist, history, or information!  They do a little research and throw something together... they call it marketing.  They did, in all fairness, do a better job with HR and Ommadawn, than with TB.  The fans on Tubular.net are excellent at picking up on errors and keeping the record companies in check!!!  Without the good people on here, I promise you, things would be MUCH MUCH worse!!!  

Enjoy these wonderful editions!!!  There is so much more wonderful music to come!  I'm actually wondering if they will do a ORCHESTRAL TB/HR package for the next release!?  Maybe that is why we have not heard nor seen any info on Orchestral HR.  It would make more sense to do a double Orchestral album than to release Orchestral TB by itself.  The good part of this would be... not only will we all have lovely new mixes of both, BUT, OTB would finally be audible!!!  The levels on that album are horrific!  

Mike, Universal, if you are paying attention, as I know you are, please release an Orchestral Double Feature - TB/HR :)  I know I would love you forever!  Well, I already do... but you get the picture here.
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: June 13 2010, 01:07

My guess is... some of the early prints had the glitch with surround sound on Ommadawn Part 1, and the rest people had been emailed and notified on a delay. If you got a flawed version, my suggestion is to keep it, as it may flower to an incomprehensable amount of money.

Or maybe I'm wrong, but still, I suggest you keep your copy if its flawed.

--

As for me, I only ordered HR, as Ommadawn never seemed to be flawed or replaced by Boxed. I think I'm regretting that now though...

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 13 2010, 04:52

Quote (Incantations @ June 13 2010, 01:07)
I suggest you keep your copy if it's flawed.

Personally I don't want a flawed copy.  Trouble is I have no way of knowing whether mine is or not.  I only have a stereo set up.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 13 2010, 15:11

@ Christopher and Ugo I still haven't got my Deluxe edition, but you both are saying that the 1974 HR mix on disc 2 is the original.... as in really original original, first press?

With other words: we can hear the snare drumming early in HR Part 1, which was removed in later presses? It's on my 1974 HR vinyl first pressing, and I love those snare drums!

And christopher, you mentioned the Dutch mix of In Dulci Jubilo, but aren't you confused with the Dutch mix of Blue Peter (as in, the other mix of Blue Peter featured in the Dutch Mike Oldfield's Wonderland LP?)
AFAIK the In Dulci Jubilo (for Maureen) was never called "Dutch mix", but the version was on the Don Alfonso 7" rare single and was made in loving memory of Mike's mother.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 13 2010, 15:16

Quote (Chicular @ June 12 2010, 00:24)
Those of you in the UK should visit Amazon.co.uk to purchase your MP3 version of Hergest Ridge 2010.  It's currently on there for £1.99, obviously a mistake on their part.  I've already bought it haha!

PS I've also bought Ommadawn at full price.  I'm not a thief haha...

Funny you should mention that, I just downloaded Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn albums (the basic 2010 versions) from iTunes Netherlands, both € 3,49!!! (2,90 GBP)

That's ridiculously low, so I bought them immediately. I also thought they were mistakes, but maybe it is a promotion?

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Jeansie Offline

Posted: June 13 2010, 15:19

Hello All,

I've been lurking on this forum for a few years now but thought I would come out of the woodwork to give my thoughts on the latest rereleases.  Ordered the Deluxe Editions from HMV this time after last years debarkle with the Tubular Bells signed Ultimate Edition (my copy arrived late but at least undamaged unlike some of your experiences on here), HMV worked a treat though and Ommadawn arrived on Friday and Hergest Ridge on Saturday (both before the release date of Monday).  Was very impressed with the contents of the both Deluxe Editions and the booklets have a lot more content than the single sheet summary on the HDCD releases from Virgin.  

The Hergest Ridge 2009 remix was interesting and am quite surprised that it is closer in feel to the 1974 than boxed (especially as Mike has been quite vocal on his preference to the boxed mix over the years.  In Dulci Jubilo was nice to have on there, but Spanish tune was just a cut from the mix so couldn't see the point in that.  Also the Demo was a bit odd, sounded like a sythesizer in some parts very unlike the final 1974 mix, but the structure was all there.

As for Ommadawn, I think the new mix was not as good as the original, unlike Tubular Bells and Hergest Ridge which were not as polished to start with Ommadawn was already pretty much perfect already, it was however interesting seeing which bits Mike thought required tweaking.  Loved the choices for the four singles which were included and also loved the lost version, it has a lot of emotion and I can see why Mike was upset when he had to rerecord it following the faulty tapes he was using for mixing purposes, I think the joke section was a reference to the sailors hornpipe from Tubular Bells, but although it was quite amusing to hear I'm glad it didn't make the final cut.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 13 2010, 17:12

Quote (Jeansie @ June 13 2010, 15:19)
The Hergest Ridge remix was interesting and am quite surprised that it is closer in feel to the 1974 than boxed (especially as Mike has been quite vocal on his preference to the boxed mix over the years).

He must have changed his mind.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 13 2010, 18:08

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ June 13 2010, 21:11)
@ Christopher and Ugo I still haven't got my Deluxe edition, but you both are saying that the 1974 HR mix on disc 2 is the original.... as in really original original, first press?

Yes. As I said, straight from the 1974 Virgin vinyl album. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 14 2010, 04:31

Well it's the 14th we're waiting......

Have the special packages come through?

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: June 14 2010, 04:58

Quote (alloria @ June 11 2010, 20:33)
Both my limited signed editions are "in progress" now as well, a good sign surely! Does this mean that we might get them for the 14th June after all?

I ordered both Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge deluxe sets as signed limited editions, and they are STILL with status "Backordered"  :/ at Universal shop

3 days after yours' (and HuanCry's) went "in progress". And they will probably take a week to reach here from the date they are eventually mailed... darn it.

Anyone else seeing "backordered" in their account?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 14 2010, 05:01

Only my Ommadawn limited edition is still backordered.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
amarok90 Offline

Posted: June 14 2010, 05:25

Good Morning

My order status changed overnight from "backordered" to "in progress" so not long now, I will post again as soon as I receive the goods.

Best wishes

Alan
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 14 2010, 05:54

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 05 2010, 15:45)
Interestingly, that section is totally intact - he's just chosen to mute the first 32 bars' worth of oboe. The bits that are missing are part of the trumpet section before the oboe part, and some of the bass section before the sleigh bells...certainly a controversial decision!

I like how he chose to bring the oboe in later, actually. It surprised me, which I liked - it wasn't at all what I was expecting, but it does make the point that there's some very beautiful guitar playing under there too (not that it wasn't audible before, but I think bringing it right to the front like that is an interesting thing to do).

The same with the strummed mandolins under the sleigh bells, actually (which seem to be an idea carried across from the demo recordings) - they were unexpected and there's something angsty about them, very much the sound of the agitated young Mike of Tubular Bells...it's certainly not subtle in the way either the original or the Boxed mixes were (and I may later decide that it's just a bit over the top), but for the moment, I find it very interesting how it reveals a different side of the album.

I had a listen to the 5.1 mixes today and I have to say it's still the Hergest Ridge remix that grabs me more! Ommadawn...I need to give that one more time, I think.

Anyone else wonder if the acoustic guitar in this section is actually a current day re-recording as happened on Mike Oldfield's Single? The style of playing and the sound of the guitar just sounds like modern Mike to me.

Anyway, I'm trying to reserve judgment on the Hergest Ridge 2010 mix until a few more listens, only given it three so far, it's certainly different though!

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: June 14 2010, 06:24

both of my orders still backordered so most likely they dont get even mailed this week.

we are paying them first for highest price of all and we get items last after all others (and possibly damaged also) :P

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: June 14 2010, 06:41

Hairy Old Hippy .

I think your right. Seems like a few new overdubs have been put in here and there .

But as always Mike will never say what he has done .
Profile PM 
alloria Offline

Posted: June 14 2010, 08:13

Both my Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge signed editions have gone from "In Progress" to "SENT!"

Hopefully I will get them soon. Anyone else got "Sent" as the status yet?

--------------
Hergest Ridge Limited Signed Edition Number 225.
Ommadawn Limited Signed Edition Number 236.
Profile PM 
Anaon Offline

Posted: June 14 2010, 08:54

Quote (alloria @ June 14 2010, 09:13)
Both my Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge signed editions have gone from "In Progress" to "SENT!"

Hopefully I will get them soon. Anyone else got "Sent" as the status yet?

Still backordered for me :( (Ommadawn)

--------------
> My music: http://www.spleenarcana.com
> My blog: http://www.awenwoods.com
Profile PM WEB 
Anaon Offline

Posted: June 14 2010, 09:19

Just received an email from Universal :

Mike Oldfield / Ommadawn Limited Signed Print Edition

Unfortunately, we have encountered a slight delay in the dispatch of your item, due to a packaging issue. We want to make sure you get your limited edition set in pristine condition, so we are in the process of manufacturing more appropriate packaging for these presently.

We currently anticipate these items to be dispatched by Monday 21 June,  but will ensure we keep you informed of any developments with your item.

:/

--------------
> My music: http://www.spleenarcana.com
> My blog: http://www.awenwoods.com
Profile PM WEB 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: June 14 2010, 09:25

Here we go again !!!!!!!!!.....  Next time AMAZON normal editions !!!!!!!!!    

Unfortunately, we have encountered a slight delay in the dispatch of your item, due to a packaging issue. We want to make sure you get your limited edition set in pristine condition, so we are in the process of manufacturing more appropriate packaging for these presently.

We currently anticipate these items to be dispatched by Monday 21 June,  but will ensure we keep you informed of any developments with your item.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 14 2010, 09:55

Quote (Bell Boy @ June 14 2010, 09:25)
Here we go again !!!!!!!!!.....  Next time AMAZON normal editions !!!!!!!!!    

I got this e-mail too. I'm just glad that they are putting a bit of thought into the packaging. But then again I'm not in a hurry getting the discs, so...
The only thing that I find slightly annoying is that I can't participate in the discussion here on this forum because it's all yesterdays news when I get my box.
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
534 replies since April 27 2010, 15:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (27) < ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net