Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (27) < ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: HR + Ommadawn limited editions available to order< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bell Boy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 05 2010, 16:26

Im even more gutted because I didnt clock that the more expensive package is going to be sent out 7 days later than everyone else who paid a fraction of the price for their CDs....

Usually if you pay extra and are obviously a huge fan, you would expect to have the purchase given priority.....as you are paying £120 extra....for something...

Im even more gutted now...
who is planning this, because they are really pushing the commitment from the hard core fans ,who are just gonna say...NO !!!!! to boxed sets and just go and save £100 and get it from amazon/Play as planned,without the rubbish service we're getting from Universal,etc....
Sorry for the rant.....
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: June 05 2010, 18:21

Quote (Bell Boy @ June 05 2010, 16:26)
...rubbish service we're getting from Universal,etc....
Sorry for the rant.....

Erm, how is it rubbish?

The website clearly said that the release date for the limited editions was the 14th June, with (presumably) time added on for shipping.

So maybe people should have read the website properly before making their payments if they're too impatient to wait an extra week or so.

If you still haven't got your albums by the 21st, THEN maybe it's time to complain.

I'm as eager as anyone else to get my hands on the two albums, believe me.

Good things come to those who wait!
Profile PM 
tsar.nathan Offline

Posted: June 05 2010, 18:57

hmv have told me my HR deluxe edition is on the way... but I won't be home for a month. Dammit  :(

--------------
http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=tsar.nathan
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: June 06 2010, 02:31

...than everyone else who paid a fraction of the price for their CD's...

Hey,Bell Boy.Monetary splashing-it-about does not a hard core fan make. Appreciation of the artists oeuvre cometh way above " LOADSAMONEY! "

just my farthings-worth :p

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: June 06 2010, 04:06

Loadsofmoney... i certainly haven't got !!!!!!!!!

But you cant tell me that the casual Oldfield fan would splash out £150 on the box sets, that contain no new original music... they would pop for the £6 versions... you have to have some crazy addiction ( like a lot of us have)to keep buying the same music re-packaged over and over again...
FAN or Mug?
Im not complaining about this... though everybody else outside the Oldfield obsessive's world would.
I know it may sounds a little like" throwing your toys out of the pram".
BUT my point is more that I cant see why ,with a 2 month lead up, Universal have to put a extra 7 day wait ( Now looking like it may be more) on the people who are mad enough to pay the extra to  the record company.
This is exactly what happened (Worse) with the Tubular Bells box set.

Im willing (and other OLDFIELD obsessives here) to break the bank and invest in these overly expensive box sets,in a hope that it shows Universal that there are people who want them and hope they keep releasing the rest of the catalogue... otherwise any lack of response from the punters and they will stop.
So as you say .. we will see...
Profile PM 
alloria Offline

Posted: June 06 2010, 06:42

Are those of us who ordered the limited editions still "backordered?" You see I am, and I have not received any e-mails from universal.

--------------
Hergest Ridge Limited Signed Edition Number 225.
Ommadawn Limited Signed Edition Number 236.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 06 2010, 06:57

@ Alloria: if you are talking about the big boxes :), yes, I received an email about HR, but both of my orders are still shown in my order history as backordered. But the strangest thing in all this, as Starfish above here pointed out, is that I received the email from Universal stating that HR was being held up... more than two weeks before the supposed release date! This is very weird indeed! :O Or maybe are they "guarding their asses", as we say in Italy, in preparation for an impending disaster? :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 06 2010, 07:04

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 05 2010, 20:45)
Interestingly, that section is totally intact - he's just chosen to mute the first 32 bars' worth of oboe.

The same with the strummed mandolins under the sleigh bells, actually (which seem to be an idea carried across from the demo recordings)

You'e quite right - the oboe section does fade in later, rather than being cut.

Those strummed mandolins are a problem for me precisely because I prefer the more subtle, pastoral version of HR - surely the whole point IMO.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 06 2010, 10:59

Been listening to the new 2010 mix of Hergest Ridge. A very different experience in places to the boxed mix I was most used to! Some of my favourite bits are now gone (section around 4:55 where the guitar come in for instance, it now isn't in the mix until 5:18). However overall I think it sounds gorgeous. "Majestic" was the first word that came to mind. Some beautiful new bits of guitar playing now brought to the fore that I don't recall noticing before. Boxed mix still my favourite mind you.

Demos next and then Ommadawn! The try and find the rest of my 5.1 speakers to set that up ;)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 06:07

Can I suggest we have a new thread to the reveiwing of the new HR and Ommadawn .

Things getting mixed up on here and a little bit aggresive ?

My copy was from my local record store but as I said they didnt have HR delux set yet and said there was a delay in England .
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 06:08

It Says on I Tunes  on the 2010 Mix Basic Albums  HR & OM I tried to just purchase its not currently Available as its being Modified whatever that Means ?..  a Bargain at £2-50 though..

Ah it works on Amazon Mp3 site.  Cheaper to £1-99 each..  :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
zinc Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 07:09

For anyone who is interested you can hear excerpts on Amazon MP3 Downloads of Ommadawn inc Lost Version which sounds nice!
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 08:53

You can hear it all fro free here on WE7

http://www.we7.com/#....=481661
Profile PM WEB 
dobyblue Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 08:55

Quote (starfish @ June 04 2010, 13:22)
Oh, I'm not knocking your opinion at all - I'm sure that for "audiophiles" (I hate that word), having the albums in lossless 5.1 would be a godsend. I'm just not sure it's commerically viable, that's all. A few responses to your points...

Certain films may well indeed sell 49% of their copies on BD. However, there are many reasons why this could be the case: some BDs have exclusive extras that the DVD editions do not, for example. And don't forget that not everyone who buys a Blu-ray Disc does so for the sound. A lot of people I know just buy the discs for the improvement in picture quality alone, and just have the sound coming out of their regular TV speakers. Just because Blu-ray sales can be good, it doesn't necessarily follow that all those who purchase the discs have a surround-sound setup. Furthermore, there could be other reasons why sales of CDs and DVDs are dwindling, such as downloads (both legal and illegal), the global worldwide recession, plus of course the fact that more people are going to the cinema!

On to my next point - you argue that BD costs would be minimal, because the only costs involved would be the authoring and pressing. But BD authoring is very, very expensive. If you're expecting to sell lots of units, authoring costs can be spread very thinly. Thats why chart CDs and other media tned to retail for a lot less than niche items distributed on indie labels - because sales are lower for niche items, the authoring cost is spread over fewer units, thereby raising the price. It's one thing to sell hundreds of thousands of units of Avatar on Blu-ray, but a few hundred Mike Oldfield audio discs would be another matter entirely.

I fully understand your reasons for wanting the albums in a lossless format, and in an ideal world they'd be released in all formats to cater for every fan. But realistically it ain't gonna happen - not for a good while, anyway.

I'm not sure I understand why the reasons for the 49% sales need to be determined, it doesn't change the sales figures. People who buy on Blu-ray buy on Blu-ray. There were no extras on the Avatar release at all, whether you bought the DVD or the Blu-ray you only got the movie. Blu-ray is the fastest adopted media in history.

In addition the 20,000 number I've noted from 2006 was from an independant studio, R&B Film's Richard Casey gave us those numbers referring to Chronos. BD authoring is not very, very expensive. People are authoring Blu-ray's of their own home movies with consumer software packages. The biggest cost would be from the replication, not the authoring...and that is a fraction of what it used to be too.

As for when it will happen, we've already seen artists like Trent Reznor, Rob Halford, The Pixies and Neil Young be delivered on audio-only Blu-ray Discs, none through a major label though. Tom Petty's new album "Mojo", being released this month, is being released on CD, vinyl and audio-only Blu-ray Disc. The MSRP is $24.99. It is from WB's Reprise label and is the first major label release. Yes, it's going to be a good while before we see every title release on Blu-ray as a music medium, but it is already happening and when it's classic titles like Ommadawn it's painstaking to see all the work having gone into a 5.1 mix and then to present it in the lowest possible 5.1 carrier there is. A DVD-Video can easily handle a 1.5 Mbps dts mix and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone with a surround system that can't listen to both Dolby and dts mixes. That's the biggest rub, not that it's not on Blu-ray, but that it is the lowest possible quality we could get.

To put it in perspective, if the 2010 2.0 stereo mix was only presented in 128 Kbps .mp3, how would you feel?
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 12:32

I just ordered them on Play.com and i cannot wait!Dunno which i'm most excited about.The HR one is really interesting for the fact it has the original plus demos but then the Ommadawn one has the Lost version.And then there's the new mixed and the extra tracks.I'm getting stupidly excited now!I feel a weekend with a new message on my voicemail to the effect off "Bugger off and don't leave a message!" coming on :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 13:14

Quote (dobyblue @ June 07 2010, 08:55)
I'm not sure I understand why the reasons for the 49% sales need to be determined, it doesn't change the sales figures. People who buy on Blu-ray buy on Blu-ray. There were no extras on the Avatar release at all, whether you bought the DVD or the Blu-ray you only got the movie. Blu-ray is the fastest adopted media in history.

In addition the 20,000 number I've noted from 2006 was from an independant studio, R&B Film's Richard Casey gave us those numbers referring to Chronos. BD authoring is not very, very expensive. People are authoring Blu-ray's of their own home movies with consumer software packages. The biggest cost would be from the replication, not the authoring...and that is a fraction of what it used to be too.

As for when it will happen, we've already seen artists like Trent Reznor, Rob Halford, The Pixies and Neil Young be delivered on audio-only Blu-ray Discs, none through a major label though. Tom Petty's new album "Mojo", being released this month, is being released on CD, vinyl and audio-only Blu-ray Disc. The MSRP is $24.99. It is from WB's Reprise label and is the first major label release. Yes, it's going to be a good while before we see every title release on Blu-ray as a music medium, but it is already happening and when it's classic titles like Ommadawn it's painstaking to see all the work having gone into a 5.1 mix and then to present it in the lowest possible 5.1 carrier there is. A DVD-Video can easily handle a 1.5 Mbps dts mix and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone with a surround system that can't listen to both Dolby and dts mixes. That's the biggest rub, not that it's not on Blu-ray, but that it is the lowest possible quality we could get.

To put it in perspective, if the 2010 2.0 stereo mix was only presented in 128 Kbps .mp3, how would you feel?

The reason there are no extras on Avatar is so they can re-release it just before Christmas with an extended cut, 3D glasses and lots of bonus features!

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but isn't there a big difference between home authoring and commercial authoring?

My knowledge is based mostly on DVDs, but I assume it applies to Blu-ray Discs too (please correct me if I'm wrong). A home-recorded DVD has a limited lifespan only, due to the methods used. As I understand it, writing to a DVD-R requires the use of special dyes, which degrade with time/use, whereas a properly authored DVD will outlive a human being if cared for.

Another question: a DVD is a very good storage medium. Exactly how big a file are we talking about here? Is it really that impossible to fit a good quality copy of an album onto a DVD? Not a personal dig, I'm just interested.

And 128kbps compared to CD is a VERY big gap (even my grandmother can hear the difference). What exactly is the chasm between DVD and Blu-ray? When does a music file become so good that a human ear can no longer discern the difference between it and a higher bitrate?

Interesting stuff.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 13:49

Just seen today at my local HMV shop both HR and Ommadawn deluxe editions for 14.99 quid each...not too bad,and at least 3 copies of each.

Waiting for my limited signed framed ones :D

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
dobyblue Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 15:57

The reason there are no extras on Avatar is so they can re-release it just before Christmas with an extended cut,3D glasses and lots of bonus features!

I know there will be additional releases of Avatar, but the point was that there were no differences between the two other than the resolution of the audio and picture. I was trying to show that in most cases it’s simply that people want Blu-ray because its Blu-ray, they know the complete package is better.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but isn't there a big difference between home authoring and commercial authoring?

There is a difference between home authoring and professional applications, but it’s only large depending on your requirements. No doubt the latter will cost more if you want fancy BD-Java enhanced menus, but that’s not a necessity and there’s nothing stopping you from learning how to do your own Java menus if you’re a programming whiz, which I’m not! There’s nothing preventing you from having a static menu on a professionally-authored disc if you want to keep costs down.

My knowledge is based mostly on DVDs,but I assume it applies to Blu-ray Discs too (please correct me if I'm wrong). A home-recorded DVD has a limited lifespan only, due to the methods used. As I understand it, writing to a DVD-R requires the use of special dyes, which degrade with time/use, whereas a properly authored DVD will outlive a human being if cared for.

I’m not aware of limited lifespan with DVD’s, perhaps in 50 years mine might not work? I know Panasonic claims their burnable Blu-ray discs (BD-R) will last 100 years.

Another question: a DVD is a very good storage medium. Exactly how big a file are we talking about here? Is it really that impossible to fit a good quality copy of an album onto a DVD? Not a personal dig, I'm just interested.

Totally possible, just look at Tubular Bells 2003; it was released on DVD as a DVD-Audio disc with a lossless 24-bit high resolution multi-channel track, lossless 24-bit high resolution stereo track, video footage of TBII/III and demo’s of TB. There’s certainly room and as I’ve stated I would have been very happy if Mike had done the same for Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge. There’s no additional costs involved here and he could have easily included 24/96 5.1 and 2.0 mixes on the AUDIO_TS layer and still had the Dolby Digital 5.1 mix and all the other material in the DVD-Video (VIDEO_TS) layer. Seriously, same pressing costs, no noticeable authoring cost changes, no licensing additional costs. So what gives? That’s my point. Sure, I’d prefer it on Blu-ray because I think more people have Blu-ray players now than have DVD-Audio players and I believe it's the best chance we have for a music medium to really take off and satisfy everyone - surround-heads, fidelity freaks, etc., etc, but me personally I would have been totally happy with DVD-Audio or SACD (like the Tubular Bells quad mix) because I can use either. I just think Blu-ray would be the better more forward-thinking option.

And 128kbps compared to CD is a VERY big gap (even my grandmother can hear the difference). What exactly is the chasm between DVD and Blu-ray? When does a music file become so good that a human ear can no longer discern the difference between it and a higher bitrate?

The biggest differences aren’t really sonic. The biggest differences would be the abililty to have high definition 1080p video concurrent with your high resolution audio. The actual technical differences would be DVD is capable of 24/192 stereo and 24/96 5.1 whereas Blu-ray can do 24/192 up to 5.1 and 24/96 up to 7.1 – but throw in the high def video and you’ve got a massive difference in product and consumers want additional value in their physical media these days. So really the biggest differences to me with Blu-ray over DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD would be mass market potential.
Profile PM WEB 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 16:55

Well,dobyblue.Where do you find the time to post here? Surely it must clash with your timeous updating of the Anal Retentive page on Wicki-Wackypedia  :zzz:
Many think this,few have the tubulars to reveal so...

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
dobyblue Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 17:02

Quote (Cooper Roy @ June 07 2010, 16:55)
Well,dobyblue.Where do you find the time to post here? Surely it must clash with your timeous updating of the Anal Retentive page on Wicki-Wackypedia  :zzz:
Many think this,few have the tubulars to reveal so...

Roy, you found time to get away from the "Plonker" section of Wikipedia, therein lies your answer.

:laugh:
Profile PM WEB 
534 replies since April 27 2010, 15:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (27) < ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net