Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: How you met Mike's work, All the ways go to rome, but not to Mike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MasterGeek.MX Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 06 2013, 02:47

First of all, sorry for my silly english.

Ok, if you doesn't know me, I am MasterGeek.MX, A.K.A. Manuel: A mexican Lvl. 47 geek dude who loves nerdy stuff, videogames like Minecraft, Portal, Sci-Fi series like Stargate or Battlestar Galactica, science and other non-common hobbies, and, of course, Mike's splendid music.

As you well know, and unfortunately, Mike doesn't have very much popularity in the world. as he said in the "Two Sides" bonus interview:  In the olympics, when the mentioned me, I think that one third of the people said "Oh look, is Mike Oldfield!", other third "Who is this guy". So, meeting his awesome work is sometimes tricky.

Here in Mexico, everybody hears certain styles of music: Despite of the last radio hit (Daft Punk, Skrillex, Lady Gaga), here is very popular the typicall latin music (salsa, cumbia, even reggaeton  :/ ). The teens go for honeyed romantic bands, classic rock bands like Nirvana, The Beatles or Pink FLoyd, electronic, and the most "hardcore" guys like metal bands like Metallica, Slayer, Rammstein, or the spanish metal folk band Mägo de Oz, wich means Wïzard of Oz in english. I like some of their songs. Even they made a cover of Moonlight Shadow very folky and heavy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHy2ThmK44k

As you see, most people moves in this mucial circles, where Mike isn't very famous.

So, I doesn't know if in your coutries the stiuation is different, But I want to know how you came with Mike's art.

I start:

In the beginning, when I was a little child, one of my favorite CD's was a recopilation of various "New age" artists called Best of World Music.

There are five of them, but I had the number one. Here is the tracklist (click to go to the video):

Orinoco Flow - Enya
Ameno - Era
Tubular Bells Part One (edit) - Mike Oldfield (Just the beggining)
Toccata - Chip Davis & Mannheim Steamroller
Moments in Love - The Art of Noise
Salva Me - Libera
Oxygene Pt. IV - Jean-Michel Jarre
Erotica - Roberto Perera
Moorlough Shore - Caroline Lavelle
Sadness - Enigma
When I'm With You/Everything I Ever Needed - Ottmart Liebert + Luna Negra
Black Elk - Peter Bardens
Rain Forest - David Lanz & Paul Speer
Conquest Of Paradise - Vangelis
Lajun Chaan - Emil Montgomery
In The Beginning - Beautiful World
Cilli Geres (Gossiping Woman) - Angelit
Sweet Lullaby - Deep Forest

One day I was looking the cover book, with all the covers of the discs where the tracks was taked, and I noticed the "folded bell" of tubular bells. An image that was recorded on my mind.

Years later, Finished the elementary school, my father took me in the summer of 2007 to Spain. Specially Barcelona. One day, walking in the subway, passing in front of a gift shop, I noticed a symbol in one of the discs displayed in the front of the store. It was the folded bell. I asked to my father if he could buy it. It was The Millennium Bell. the next night I spent listening to the album with my portable CD player.

Curiously, my second Mike's album was get similarly, in a CD stand in front of a gift shop. Tubural Bells III was the album, and finally, I founded my favorite musician.

Since that day, every time when I'm in a disc store, I search Mike's albums, But finding it is hard. Now I have 99% of his work on MP3, but someday, I will gather the entire collection.

Like an extra fact, I meet my favorite metal band, Pathfinder, searching metal covers of Mike. They had a very powerfull version of Mooligth Shadow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=nbjCU-7hDJw

Ok. that's my story with Oldfield. I hope you find it interesting.

Hailings from a Mexican Mike fan.

--------------
Hailings from a Mexican Mike Oldfield's fan.

Y chingue su madre el que no le guste Campanas Tubulares!
Profile PM 
0 replies since July 06 2013, 02:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net