Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: How to make a VR like Maestro?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Rileman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 14 2008, 06:59

Does anyone know what software I need to make a virtual reality world like Maestro and Tres lunas? I like to make my own VR world, with no objectives, just possibility to fly around, listen to various music

--------------
It's not easy going where no-one goes, and no-one knows...
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 14 2008, 07:32

Hmmm, interesting question. I know that much of the functionality you would need (3d worlds, walk, fly, animations, proximity-activated sounds etc.) can be achieved using VRML but I am not sure if there are better/easier tools out there.

For descriptions of VRML try the wikipedia page on VRML or cortona, the free VRML browser plug-in etc. from parallel graphics.

Anyone here have any better suggestions?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Mad Hatter Offline

Posted: May 16 2008, 23:36

Your best bet is to use ogre 3d, it is a 3d game engine that allows the computer to render the 3d objects. it will take a while to learn but at least there is lots of support.

You will also want a 3d animation program. I would recommend you use G Max. Its a free version of 3D studio max, but unlike 3ds max you cannot render anything with the program, but there are a lot of good support for the program.

Making a game is very complicated and will take a long time. But it can be a lot of fun.  

If you need any support just ask me, I’m not to good at programming but I am very good at 3d animation.
Profile PM 
familyman Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2010, 11:07

I'm looking into making a VR.

Just realising though that I need about ten programs and have to know how to program!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2010, 19:49

What I think would be fun is if there were a little supplementary program that would join the Maestro and Tr3s Lunas worlds together. Ie, you shoot a window in Maestro and end up in TL, or you hitch a ride on the spaceship in TL and end up inside Maestro's spaceship.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2010, 21:09

The game that originally inspired Mike was "Myst". That game eventually ended up as a full 3D on line game called URU, but that folded due to a small fan base.

URU had fantastic graphics, and a really close knit fanbase. So when it went under the owners promised to release the game code as freeware/open source. But they still haven't got around to it. Which means the fans have hacked it anyway to make their own worlds/levels etc.

I guess the Oldfield MVR fans are just too small in numbers and expertise to hack into it and add their own stuff. I know I wouldn't know where to start - apart from a begging letter to Mike - which I tried and went unanswered

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2010, 23:02

Can you give more detail about the game, Olrac? Presumably there are copies of it floating around the net somewhere...

Not very nice that your letter went unanswered. That's one of my pet hates, for what it's worth.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 18:56

Quote (nightspore @ Jan. 24 2010, 04:02)
Can you give more detail about the game, Olrac? Presumably there are copies of it floating around the net somewhere...

Not very nice that your letter went unanswered. That's one of my pet hates, for what it's worth.

Hmm.. plenty of advice in these here forums I guess! That's if you mean the 2 MVR games.

if you are asking about MYST and URU  -single player games still in the shops.

So, what details were you thinking of? Alway s happy to help.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 20:08

Myst and Uru. As I've talked with you about Maestro and Tr3s Lunas before I'm hardly likely to be asking about them!!

Actually, I did look those games up on the Web. I got put off, though, by vaguely Tolkien-esque images. My home is a Hobbit-free zone!
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 19:57

Definitely no Hobbits!

The Myst series set the standards for visual imagery and puzzles as they evolved. Set in a world that you explore through the games, they are 1st person puzzle games.

Beautiful to look at, if you can find the box set very worth getting. Music is pretty neat too (not up to Tres Lunas obviously). By the 5th episode they got Peter Gabriel to do a unique track for them.

The world can be very immersive if you are interested in the detail, learning a new language, number sytem, historical background etc. Some of the hard core fans really bought into this on the web. Or do as I did, google and download the walkthroughs and just enjoy the imagery.

The final, 6th, version was designed to be an MMORG, online with players using it to solve puzzles together, chat and devlope the story line in real time. But despite hard core fans, the numbers couldn't sustain it and the lag was horrendous due to cheap servers.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 20:05

On second thoughts I think I'd pine too much for Mike's music if I played games that looked so much like TL and M but weren't. Peter Gabriel? Whenever I hear music by him I feel inclined to utter phrases like "Yes, but..."  :D
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 20:23

Ah - but MVR looks like a very poor version of the Myst series.

--------------
Profile PM 
gary1eye Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2010, 12:17

Quote (olracUK @ Jan. 30 2010, 00:57)
Definitely no Hobbits!

The Myst series set the standards for visual imagery and puzzles as they evolved. Set in a world that you explore through the games, they are 1st person puzzle games.

Beautiful to look at, if you can find the box set very worth getting. Music is pretty neat too (not up to Tres Lunas obviously). By the 5th episode they got Peter Gabriel to do a unique track for them.

The world can be very immersive if you are interested in the detail, learning a new language, number sytem, historical background etc. Some of the hard core fans really bought into this on the web. Or do as I did, google and download the walkthroughs and just enjoy the imagery.

The final, 6th, version was designed to be an MMORG, online with players using it to solve puzzles together, chat and devlope the story line in real time. But despite hard core fans, the numbers couldn't sustain it and the lag was horrendous due to cheap servers.

Just to let anyone know, Myst on line is now back and is up and running and it is free to join. the link is here

Regards Gary ;)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2010, 18:09

That screen capture reminds me of a scene from "The Space Croppers" episode of Lost in Space!
Profile PM 
13 replies since May 14 2008, 06:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net