Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: How many guitars?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 27 2001, 16:26

[This is aimed in particular at R.C. aka Korgscrew...but if other people answer before and/or after him, I'm glad. smile]

1) In the sections of Ommadawn Part II that the Amarok Player tracklist titles as "Overdub" (in the beginning and toward the end of Part II), how many guitar tracks are there? To my untrained ears, and without the aid of any sound-analyzing tool smile, it sounds like there are at least 8 different tracks.

2) How many guitars (i.e. the actual instruments) were used to record those sections?

Thanx in advance for all your answers. wink

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
dgcaer Offline

Posted: June 27 2001, 16:54

I seen, I don't remember where in the internet, that there is 1984 !! overdub in the begining of Ommadawn part II. Also it's not only guitar. There is also some Accordion if I remember well.

It seem very crazy. Is it true ?
Maybe, someone may have better information.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 27 2001, 17:43

I heard it was somewhere around 60 parts there. It could be 1984 overdubs - if you count every time you hit record on the machine as a separate overdub, then it could be that many.

It's very hard to tell how many guitars are there exactly - the more the tracks are bounced down, the less well defined they get, so there could be 50 or so parts that just sound like a big musical fuzz (but contribute to the wall of sound).

With the number of instruments, from what I remember there's an electric guitar sound and an acoustic one...it could just have been two guitars. But maybe he used a selection of guitars for those parts (hard to tell as they're all so blended together) so maybe there were 2 or 3 different electric guitars there, plus an acoustic...and an accordion.

There might be a bass in there as well, I'd have to listen...
Profile PM 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: June 29 2001, 09:44

If I remember correctly, according to a clip from a review in "Boxed," there are 64. I recall it saying something about it sounding like a Pink Floyd organ opus.
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 29 2001, 14:46

Thanx. wink smile

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 05 2009, 19:25

In Changeling, Mike does indeed say there were 1,984 guitars overdubbed to create that mass organ type swell sound. :)

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 07 2009, 08:35

@Pacha Daddy.I have learnt to take a lot of what's said in the Boxed booklet with a large pinch of salt.For example it says that the Irish Pipes section was concocted after one or two drinks had been consumed with Paddy.The truth is that the tune had been around for at least 7 years and was released as "a sad song for Rosy" on the cd re-issue of Children Of The Sun in 2001/2002 which dates back to 1968.
 As for the 1984 guitar overdubs all i can say is wow!Mike himself quoted the figure so i have no cause to doubt it but it must have taken an age to do!Now that's dedication :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
6 replies since June 27 2001, 16:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net