Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: How many copies have you gifted?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 24 2008, 14:21

I remember, around this time last year, there was talk about giving copies of MOTS as gifts. Of course, the delay in release made that impossible for 2007. But, as it's again getting close to the holiday season, I was wondering if people still have plans to give MOTS. Or have you already given copies as birthday, wedding, graduation, get well, or thanks-for-saving-my-life gifts?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2008, 05:37

I gave a copy to a friend of mine who thought it was nice but nothing spectacular.And then my dad actualy asked me for a copy after he`d heard it on the radio about three hundred times.Seriously though my dad really loves it he thinks it`s Mike`s best work.He does likes a lot of classical stuff though as long as it`s nothing too heavy going.And over these last 10-15 years or so since he retired he`s really into Jazz in a big way.He loves going away to all the big Jazz festivals and suff with my mother.The only type of music he really hates is folk music apparently.I mean i`ve tried to tell him that there`s a number of "folkish melodies" going on in MOTS but I don`t think he`s having it.At the end of the day I could see he looked fairly non plussed when I mentioned all the Tubular Bells referances as well.So yeah it`s kinda` nice in a way that he just loves it for what it is I guess.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2008, 07:14

Funny you should say that cos my singer knows next to nothing about Mike's music (i am trying,along with her brother who plays keyboards and guitar with us,to get her into him)but was round at my flat with her laptop and lo and behold she put MOTS on.
 I think we as fans may be a bit biased of all MIke's stuff in one way or another.We all know his styles and hear all the references but do we actually hear it as other people do and just take it as a peice of music and judge it on it's own merit?
 For example when we listen to TB2003 are we purely listening from a comparitive stance or are we listening to it as just a peice of music in it's own right?
 It's a similar thing to listening to something as a musician.I can listen to a peice as a whole but i tend to dicect it and listen to particular parts.A non musician friend of mine says they can't do that when i say things like "wow listen to the bass part"they can't filter out everything but the bass.
 it would nice to hear things in a non partial way.But only once. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2008, 08:53

Quote (Dirk Star @ Sep. 25 2008, 05:37)
I gave a copy to a friend of mine who thought it was nice but nothing spectacular.And then my dad actualy asked me for a copy after he`d heard it on the radio about three hundred times.Seriously though my dad really loves it he thinks it`s Mike`s best work.He does likes a lot of classical stuff though as long as it`s nothing too heavy going.

I mainly listen to "classical" music, but MotS is not one of my favourite MO albums. It doesn't have that soaring quality so much of his music does; he gives the impression of being constrained by being restricted to a conventional orchestra and piano; and the music has a general feel of unease that is quite simply  not my cup of tea. I would take "Song for Survival" over the entirety of MotS any day.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2008, 20:29

I didn't give any MotS copies away, as it was (and still is) very hard to find here. I just got a copy for me and that was all. :D However, I copied it on a CD-R for two friends of mine. One of them liked it a lot, the other (who is 48 years old) hated it.

@ nightspore: some of MotS sounds constrained to me too, but to it's a different kind of constraint: some bits (not whole tracks, just bits here and there) sound like Mike O. started with the idea of writing "serious" classical music and instead ended up writing some kind of a high-profile Hollywood movie soundtrack. :) However, I guess that's the danger of composing any kind of purely orchestral music in today's time - as most film soundtracks use purely orchestral music (and most often, just that), new orchestral compositions always end up sounding like a soundtrack. Giovanni Allevi's classical experiment Evolution falls in the same trap as MotS, but way more often than MotS does. It's supposed to be symphonic, piano-led music, but almost all of its tracks very easily end up sounding very EnnioMorriconesque and not "classical" at all. :)

That being said, I admit that I actually love MotS. However, I don't play it very often because it requires me to be in a certain mood to fully enjoy it. It works great as background music, though, when I'm studying or doing things connected to my job...

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2008, 22:43

Hi Ugo. I know what you mean. The trouble, is classical music has done virtually everything that can be done, melodically, with orchestral music, so, yes, any orchestral piece these days will tend to sound Hollywoodish. Personally, this doesn't worry me. I've heard film and TV music that I find quite moving. One of the Star Trek series, for example - I don't know which one, as I'm not a ST fan - has a very impressive theme; it reminds me a bit of 'The Wind Chimes, Part 1'.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2008, 07:59

Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 26 2008, 04:43)
Hi Ugo. I know what you mean. The trouble, is classical music has done virtually everything that can be done, melodically, with orchestral music, so, yes, any orchestral piece these days will tend to sound Hollywoodish. Personally, this doesn't worry me.

It doesn't worry me either - indeed, I feel rather pleased when I find Morricone-ish or HansZimmer-ish or JohnWilliams-ish bits in other people's work, because I love all of those people [their work, I mean. :D]. It's only that, to me, film music isn't "classical" - indeed, I think it belongs to its own genre. But sometimes composers - with no reference to anyone in particular - exploit the "classical" label just as what it is, i.e. a label, without realizing that they're mixing the genres. Even "classical" works by Morricone himself sound like film music, because that's what he writes all the time. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
6 replies since Sep. 24 2008, 14:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net