Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hitchcock & Five Miles Out< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
toffeetele Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 09 2001, 04:54

I was watching an early black and white Hitchcock thriller called "The Young and the Innocent" a while ago and there is a scene where the bad guy is hiding in an orchestra playing the drums(!). He attempts to warn an accomplice that the good guys are onto them by hitting an extra drum roll at the end of the dance number the band have played and shortly afterward the conductor walks over to admonish him: "I've watched you old man. Don't come in again like that. It isn't funny and I pay someone else to make the orchestrations." Ring any bells?? Yes - it is THE exact phrase from a segue toward the end of Orabidoo (Five Miles Out, Side 1, Tk 2) - the timpani and electric guitars section before Ireland's Eye - so what was Mike sampling old Hitchcock films for in 1982? Still don't know what the other two samples heard in the first part of Orabidoo just before the choruses are though. Any ideas anyone?
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2001, 18:30

The two other samples, AFAIK, are taken from the same movie and are spoken with a French accent... stressing the last syllable... that's why they sound (IMO) strange... wink smile They are as follows.

1) "Let's make another momènt."
2) "Yea, let's do it specifìc."

Why did Mike take all this stuff from that particular movie? I haven't the slightest idea. wink biggrin Maybe he liked the dialogues as well as the story!! smile smile

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
toffeetele Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2001, 04:00

Thanks Ugo. I fished out the film again but can't spot the other two snatches of dialogue at all. However, in the interests of accuracy I should point out the drummer is not signalling an accomplice as I wrongly remembered, but trying to hide his identity by turning away from the drums and playing an improvised solo on a glockenspiel...
If you know WHERE in the film the other two clips are I'd be grateful.

Thanks.
Profile PM WEB 
2 replies since Dec. 09 2001, 04:54 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net