Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: History of Tubular.net< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 26 2008, 04:49

I am curious if there is any information, posted, regarding the origins of Tubular.net and this board: when it was launched, by whom, and the changes it's gone through. Not that it's vital to know but I, for one, am interested.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 26 2008, 19:25

As far as I remember, the website was created by Olivier Lebra, a French Canadian website designer, in 2000, or shortly before that. I joined the forums in that year, when the domain name still wasn't tubular.net [it was www.something.ca/tubular :D], so it shouldn't be very long after the actual creation of the website.

Regarding the changes, I kind-of remember the original board being slightly cheesier, flashier and with more smileys (with an unilimited number of smileys being allowed in a post) than the actual one, Ikonboard, to which Olivier converted the board in the early 2000s, maybe. I think this board looks much more sober and serious than the previous one. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Dec. 26 2008, 21:14

It is more sober than the previous one. We really knew how to party in those days.....

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 27 2008, 02:39

I'm actually French French, the first URL was imaginet.fr/~olebra/tubular  something like that. I moved to Montreal, Québec, in 1999, and then moved to San Diego, California, in 2007. I'm writing this from my parents' home in Nice, France, where I "designed" this layout, from an Hans Claesson's palette, during another vacation a while ago. I'm not a web designer, but a software engineer, currently working at Yahoo! Mail on an extremely complex software serving 1/4 billion users with unlimited storage.
Korgscrew, Inkanta, and Tim made the site and forum a very nice and rather quiet place to be - very skilled administrators. Hans and Marko made it nicer and funnier, Man In The Rain made the Instruments section, Korgscrew the Discography, etc. and all of us here the forum.

There was another history thread, but couldn't find it yet.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2008, 03:17

But....we really knew how to party in those days.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2008, 15:29

History of history:
http://tubular.net/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=9;t=7373
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2008, 19:06

Yeah back in the old day's of Mike Oldfield, when message's were sent by pigeon, and people could leave their front door's open while they burgled the family next door, and no one died and everbody loved each other, I wish we could go back a year, back to when thing's were great and it was sunny and people did'nt feel the urge that was likely to make them quit the new tubular.net format.com

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2008, 03:46

Thanks for all the info, Ugo and Olivier. I had actually looked for that very thread, Olivier, but in this forum. When I couldn't find it, I figured I must've imagined it!

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2008, 03:53

You imagined it because.......We really knew how to party in those days......

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2008, 04:58

So at what stage did Mike become aware of the site? I've read on a number of occasions that he visits it sometimes.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2008, 05:01

Quote (Scatterplot @ Dec. 28 2008, 03:53)
We really knew how to party in those days......

I know very little about partying. I'd have been the gal giving people nasty looks and saying 'Will you keep it down? I'm trying to watch a movie, here.'

--------------
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 19 2009, 15:48

I wondered myself who runs this site and where they do it from. Because of the american way of spelling Rumors (one of the forum zones) I assumed it must be out that way...

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 19 2009, 19:27

Quote (Ghostmojo @ April 19 2009, 21:48)
I wondered myself who runs this site and where they do it from. Because of the american way of spelling Rumors (one of the forum zones) I assumed it must be out that way...

As I said above, Olivier Lebra is the one who runs the website. He, Korgscrew and Inkanta are the main administrators of the forum. As far as I know, Olivier is in Canada, Korgscrew is English and Mary-Carol (Inkanta) is American. Regarding "rumors", I've seen it spelt that way all over the Internet. When anyone spells it "rumours", they're talking about the Fleetwood Mac album and nothing else. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 22 2009, 13:54

Must have been 2001 when i discovered this forum.. I just loved it and was here alot.. But i did not had the net at home so i often visit tubular net in the libary. Then in 2003 i got it home and got the name MAN IN CRISES, then later on changed it to Tubularman.. I was addicted to Tb3 and Ommadawn at that time.. i was here often and i totally loved the mix section. My english was onthe ground zero by the way.. remember sitting with the word book.. Thanks to tb.net im better in english and i know all i wanna know about Mike Oldfield :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 23 2009, 15:34

Ugo, I believe Olivier now resides in California?

Tubularman, you write in English pretty well - I didn't realize you'd only been doing it for a short time. Kudos to you. :)  It seems Tubular.net is good for practicalities as well as inanities!

--------------
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: April 23 2009, 15:54

Yes, I moved from France to Québec 10 years ago, and to Southern California 2 years ago, land of (U2's) Joshua Tree and Fleetwood Mac, will I end up in Asia in 6 years from now?
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 23 2009, 20:09

Quote (Ugo @ April 19 2009, 19:27)
When anyone spells it "rumours", they're talking about the Fleetwood Mac album and nothing else. :)

No they're not - they're spelling it in English as used in everyday form in the land of that tongue's origin - England. As with many of these words it originally derives from French (as do most words with our in them) and I think it was Samuel Webster or Ben Franklin (or both) who took great delight in removing all the U's for the US dictionary. And so harbour became harbor, labour - labor and so on. Also words with an re (again from the French) became er ... i.e. theatre becomes theater and centre - center.

The point of all that being - perhaps they had nothing better to do.

Incidentally, following the massive success of the aforementioned Fleetwood Mac album - teachers across America had to remind their pupils that in the US the spelling thousands of their wards had returned to wasn't correct ... Rumours ... in America.

But it always looks right to me that way ... because it is - or so it is rumo(u)red ;)

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 24 2009, 03:40

I could be wrong but I think Rumour is derived from the latin word spelt Rumor.. :D I know what you`re saying though Ghostmojo,but often we`re the ones who`ve got it all screwed up in the first place.Many years ago my dad used to work to work for Alcan,and apparently you are supposed to say "Aloominum".   :p Or maybe not,who knows?..I would`nt like to make a case for the defense of it in a court of law I know that much.   ;)

Here`s a few "mis-spelt" album covers...

Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 24 2009, 05:15

@ Dirk: hehehehehehehehehehehehe... :laugh: :D

@ Ghostmojo or Howard if you prefer ;): I was talking about the most frequent spelling on the Internet. On websites and chat lines, everyone seems to write in American. However, I'm a teacher of English, so I do know everything you're talking about and I agree with it.

By the way (and off topic) I've noticed you are also involved in the "Roman Army" forum. Ancient Rome, and its military in particular, is a subject I was always very interested in - I'm in Nova Roma - but I just don't feel I have enough knowledge about it to subscribe to a forum, or to post in it. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 24 2009, 05:34

Quote (Sweetpea @ April 23 2009, 21:34)
Tubularman, you write in English pretty well - I didn't realize you'd only been doing it for a short time. Kudos to you. :)  It seems Tubular.net is good for practicalities as well as inanities!

hehe thank you  :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
19 replies since Dec. 26 2008, 04:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net