Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: hippie music, ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 13 2006, 18:09

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Jan. 13 2006, 12:51)
Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Jan. 12 2006, 19:42)
I saw Jethro Tull in concert when I was a hippie.  They played Cole Field House at the University of Maryland (home of the terps).  I was very stoned.  I remember Ian Anderson was wearing a long, flowing cape.  The whole show just seems kind of hazy to me now...yes, more like a "purple haze".

Now I am really sure that I was born 30 years too late  :/

Bill, that sounds so cool!!  :cool:

Me too Piltdownboy,  I feel I was born some 20 years (give or take a couple of years) too late  :( , given that much of my favourite music is from the late 60's early-mid 70's.  I'd be there "Idiot Dancing".  At least I would have had the opportunity to see most of these bands/artists.  Now may I borrow a time machine to go and live my youth during this period, that  would be great
   :cool:  :D.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2006, 21:01

I remember also going to a Grand Funk Railroad concert.  Some band that we had never heard of by the name of "Yes" opened for them.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2006, 19:37

holy crap, i made this post back in 2002. i can't believe it's still around.

but i still think that his older stuff really reminds me of a bunch of hippies getting high and spacing out - almost like on "That 70s Show". haha

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 10:03

I just came across an article while completely looking for something else; for some reason, this topic popped into my head. :D

It's from a mag entitled Cannibas Culture: Marijuana Magazine, which has several of its articles online.The article in question is "The History of Marijuana and Music," part 2, subtitled "From funk to flower power, reggae to rock, stoners expand musical boundaries." Here is the part addressing TB and Mike:

"The other most marked tendency within rock was for "progressive" musicians to produce LP records full of more ambitious, not to say pretentious, pieces of music stretched far beyond the traditional three-minute format of pop singles designed to be played on the radio. Two of the biggest-selling records of the 1970's were The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd and Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield, both released in 1973.

"The first is a sort of concept album, loosely about the pressures of being a high-earning star in the vulgar field of popular music, performed by a group who disdained the conventional marketing strategies of the music business and whose live shows were characterized by elaborate visual effects; the latter is a quasi-orchestral 50-minute composition by a young, reclusive multi-instrumentalist who was too shy to perform it live. Both records were designed to be listened to right through in a sitting and, as such, they provided the ideal soundtrack to many a pot smoking session held in school dormitories and college common rooms throughout the rest of the decade." The entire article is located here.

Not sure what I think about it other than a lot has been omitted. Also can't say that was my college experience in the late 70's (into 80's for grad school). The article's very narrow definition of the "hippie era" sent me running to the wiki as a place to start for more information. It is more broadly defined there; in fact, the most shocking thing is that by their definition I seem to fall under the neo groovy hippie category...oooh....in my mental activity. Not to mention in dress, vegetarianism, activism, minus the drug use (but many neo-hippies do not imbibe in such things, though most are tolerant of those who do). Good grief!! Who knew?   :O  Guess I'll put on TB and space. :D

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 21:52

Quote (TubularBelle @ Dec. 16 2004, 07:08)
P.S.- I am a 44 year old hippie. And Mike is still a hippie.

Mmmmm..... I'm not sure i'm old enough to be a hippy, i'm only 43.

But hippy, me thinks Mr O was.  Normal(er) now he is, we think.  Just like us all.

High on music - yes indeed i've experienced that.  The newer the album, the higher the high.  Especially with MO's earlier material up to and including Crisis.

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 21 2006, 22:32

It's like the article in the wiki says--you can be a hippie at any age, apparently. :D (Hmmm....and now the above link even works! ) [and while I'm editing.... of course there is the historic period, but I still like the idea of being a groovy hippie, today! ) :cool: ]

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
45 replies since Oct. 28 2002, 23:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net