Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: hippie music, ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
tubularbills Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 28 2002, 23:38

Do you think any of MO's music could have been labeled hippie music? like in the 70s? (or 80's for some people....)

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2002, 20:25

Definetely TB, HR, Ommadawn, Incantations part 4 and Exposed - after that.... No. Freer spirits such as Nik Turner, Kevin Ayres and Ozric Tentacles continue to light the hippie torch; Mike's music has become far more polished since the early albums and also lack the improvisation which often identifies a leaning toward hippiedom!  ;)

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2002, 02:56

I'm not really sure what makes up hippie music. The one piece of his which would be hippie music is On Horseback, I don't know why. How would you define hippie music anyway?

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Couldren Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2003, 09:55

I think you could easily label Oldfield music "Hippie music" at least in the 70's. But I wouldn't label his music since the 70's as such.

I don't care much for labels anyway for they put you in a frame, and I think the wonderful thing about Mike Oldfield is how free, and changeable his music is.

Now perhaps Oldfield could be labeled "Geek music" as an earlier post suggested.

I would label it "Awesome" or music for "non-cloth-eared nincompoops". ;)
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2003, 21:33

alls i know is that i can put in Tubular Bells, flip on my two black lights, and stare at the awesome blacklight posters and lava lamps in my room and get totally psyched out, without even being high. Something about that CD just puts you in a trance, and if your surrounded by hippie stuff it only hightens it.

Oddly enough, i'm not a hippie, i just like blacklights and those posters and lava lamps!

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
liz197 Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2003, 09:59

i think you could call hippies music, what he did with sally oldfield children of the sun etc
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2003, 21:08

I guess that there's a kind of naive innocence to something like On Horseback for example, that would fit well with the Hippie ethos. But Mike's music is so much more than that, although I'm more comfortable with the 'Hippie' tag than New Age, which I think is a completely different thing. When I think Hippie, I think of old folkies like Nick Drake and Donovan and I can see hom Mike would be lumped in with that. But to be honest, I think we all know that Mike defies categorisation.

Ollie

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
cannibal cam Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2004, 20:16

its all about the drugs.

that's what makes his music that much better.
Profile PM 
X11 Offline

Posted: April 04 2004, 04:51

My first Mike Oldfield experience was Crises.

And I was high.

Loved it ever since.

--------------
HTTP://X11.ROCKS.IT - my site.
Profile PM WEB 
Mirage Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2004, 16:54

I have always considered Mike's music as "Space Music". Hippie music? maybe. But many has been the night when I have put on one of his albums and just drifted with the current until the end. Just kinda spaced out if you know what I mean.
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2004, 19:54

http://www.toucansolutions.com/oldfield/images/album_covers/Ommadawn.jpg
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2004, 02:05

This is a fascinating topic, Mike certainly could not have looked any more hippy in the early days, the 'jesus' look, and was most likely high when he wrote all of his albums from the 70's, maybe even the 80's. This is a conundrum I have had to deal with for 20 years. I was very young when I first heard Tubular Bells, only 12, and knew nothing of Mikes other albums until 1984.  Even tho I was obsessed with TB all that time, it wasn't until I went on a 4 week holiday driving across Australia in 1984 that I got to hear any of his other albums. This was also the first time I ever got high. To this day, I don't know if  my obsession with Mike has anything to do with hearing most of his music for the first time when I was high, because I was certainly obsessed for 11 years before that. I think the answer is Mikes music is excellent to listen to when you are high, but it can also get you high, so if don't take drugs, or don't have any drugs, then listen to Mikes music and you will get high. I think it is music for intellectual hippies.
Tracy.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2004, 02:08

P.S.- I am a 44 year old hippie. And Mike is still a hippie.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2004, 13:39

good on you m8
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2004, 14:33

sorry bevy I just like replying after you.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: Dec. 17 2004, 12:50

lol np :D
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2004, 14:45

Quote (TubularBelle @ Dec. 16 2004, 03:05)
...but it can also get you high, so if don't take drugs, or don't have any drugs, then listen to Mikes music and you will get high. I think it is music for intellectual hippies.

When I play Mike's music loud,I get soo high.And I don't use drugs to get high,the music leads me into my alterered state...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2004, 14:54

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Dec. 18 2004, 14:45)
When I play Mike's music loud,I get soo high.And I don't use drugs to get high,the music leads me into my alterered state...

Where's your mummy?
Where's she gone?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2006, 19:03

Quote (raven4x4x @ Nov. 01 2002, 07:56)
I'm not really sure what makes up hippie music. The one piece of his which would be hippie music is On Horseback, I don't know why. How would you define hippie music anyway?

I happened to stumble upon this topic whilst looking for an answer to a question.

Good point Raven, when you ask what defines hippie (variation: hippy) music.  If you take the definition of hippie music as being "liked by hippies" then I would say much of Mike's music could be classed as hippie music :).

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2006, 19:09

its all about the drugs.

that's what makes his music that much better.
That's right. Anyways, I would consider Mike Oldfield's music hippy music, but I made a thread about Mike Oldfield on the hipforums and didn't get much responce. Us hippys like a big variety of music though. And being a hippy isn't just about image, so just because someone has long hair and a beard dosn't make someone a hippy.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
45 replies since Oct. 28 2002, 23:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net