Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hints of Composers Past< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 11 2007, 22:59

Music of the Spheres, to me, is clearly Oldfield through and through, but that doesn't stop me from delighting in passages that briefly bring to mind other classical composers.

"Aurora": Mendelssohn - for some reason this makes me think of "Midsummer Night's Dream". Maybe because I imagine it as a sort of 'Anthem of the Fairies'?

"The Other Side": Borodin - there's a bit of Eastern exoticism, here, I think.

"Musica Universalis": Dvorak - specifically in regard to his American inspired pieces. It sounds somewhat native/aboriginal to me.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2007, 14:27

Works in reverse too.  I was flipping through the channels on Saturday night and came across the Remembrance service from the Royal Albert Hall.  Hullo, they're playing MO, I thought.  It took a good minute before I realised it was Elgar's Nimrod.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2007, 19:22

I think that the only composer actually echoed in MotS is Karl Jenkins - maybe this is because he was the one who did the orchestration  ["...and I pay someone else to do the orchestration!!" :D :laugh:], but much of MotS sounds to me very like Jenkins/Adiemus. There are certainly various references to Smetana, Siibelius and Holst throughout, but those guys have been present in Mike's music since... ahem... 1973. :D

And yes, it does work in reverse... as ieces like "Song of the Odyssey" by Adiemus sound just like MotS - especially "Aurora" and "Musica universalis". :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
2 replies since Nov. 11 2007, 22:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net