Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hibernaculum ripped off Beethoven< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 14:00

Just been reading some interesting Mike reviews over at the uk amazon site and somebody is claiming that Hibernaculum is blatantly ripped off Beethoven here's what he says

'when I finally listened to the track that features the Tallis Scholars (Hibernaculum), I realised that Oldfied completely ripped off Beethoven for the main riff. Sure other musicians do it, especially guys like Sting, but this was so obvious on this piece. And the source of it?? The first movement of Beethoven's Violin Concerto in D major.
It's a nice track, but I cringe every time I hear it because it has Beethoven written all over it.'

Is this true? I certainly didn't know about it.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 14:20

I'd like to hear that Beethoven track as Hibernaculum is one of my favourite tracks on TSODE.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 14:44

This is intresting. Makes me want to listen to Beethoven!
I will go to the library tomorrow and check out that concerto!
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 15:36

I've managed to get a hold of this Beethoven song and so far I can't see how they can sound anything like each other. Certainly not enough to call it a complete blatant rip off. I don't understand what this person is talking about.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 15:41

It sounds to me like somebody being to musically anally retentive for their own good. Its probably got some very vague similarity and this guy is trying to sound clever.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 15:55

I always thought it was a ripoff of Enigma, not Beethoven: "Hibernaculum" as the strongest example of Mike Oldfield immitating another artist/band's musical style.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 16:04

Yeah stylistically it is very like the first Enigma album, thats what I thought when I first heard it too. I used to think Hibernaculum was better but I put on that old Enigma track recently and it wasn't bad, it developes well. It's the only track by Enigma I've ever liked mind you.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 16:09

I have not heard the concerto yet, but I dont think that Mike would be so stupid that he would rip off some composer the caliber of Beethoven and think he could get away with it.
It could be that the chordal structure of that Beethoven piece is similar to hibernaculum, but that would not be a rip off since the Beethoven piece is propably simple and at least
common harmonywise.
Profile PM 
cjm Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 16:36

I think I know what this person at Amazon is talking about.  There is definitely a phrase in the first movement of the Beethoven that is similar to a phrase in the main tune of "Hibernaculum."  But it's hardly a "blatant ripoff" as the Amazon poster calls it.  I'm not in the neighborhood of my CD collection just now, but when I am I'd be glad to find the Beethoven phrase and make a wav or mp3 file available if someone wants to hear it.

Chris Morrison
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 16:48

Aw, gee! The melody of "Hibernaculum" was the best thing in the album (which isn't saying much, in my case). Alright, I guess it's just a coincidence, after all, Mike isn't Rod Stewart, "Hibernaculum" isn't "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" and Beethoven isn't Jorge Ben, hopefully.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
iGav Offline

Posted: April 28 2006, 11:44

I'm pretty sure I read an interview with Mike where he explained that the main theme from tubular Bells came from him inverting some of the notes from a theme by Bach

I can't see why Hiberrnaculum being inspired by Beethoven can possibly be ripping off - if Mike could use rachmaninov in Amarok then why not Beethoven

There's even a link to the book since the space ship is carrying the treasures of earth away from the flames, perhaps the people asleep in the hibernaculum dream of beethoven
Profile PM 
10 replies since Aug. 31 2005, 14:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net