Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hi everyone< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
George89 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 24 2005, 20:51

Hi! At a guess, i'd think I'm amongst the younger Mike Oldfield listeners at the age of 15. Found the site through google whilst i was looking for a wallpaper and decided i'd post on here to say how excellent the whole place is! My Dad got me listening to Mike and i'm the proud owner of 8 albums now, of which The Songs of Distant Earth is my favourite. Keep up the great work.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: July 25 2005, 04:11

Hi George,

Hope you become a regular poster, It is a great site and great people. I think 15 would be one of our youngest but you'll find because teenagers are a lot more pc literate than us oldies, there is a larger percentage of them on this site. Someone did a poll on the ages of the fans on this site. Anyway, Welcome. Have you got Amarok yet? If not get it tomorrow, it's probably his best album of all and is enjoying a new lease of life at the moment. Ciao,

Tracy.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
George89 Offline

Posted: July 25 2005, 07:40

I'll get Amarok in a few minutes if it's that good!  :)  It's only the 1 track on there so I can download that legally for 79p. Excellent  :D  Thanks for the welcome.
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: July 25 2005, 08:01

Hello and welcome.  You must be an intelligent 15 year old!!!  Glad you found Mike so early in life - you'll have many years of listening inspiration.  And with only 8 albums, you have much more to look forward to.  Let us know what you think of Amarok.  It's one of my favorites too.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 25 2005, 08:21

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ July 25 2005, 08:01)
Hello and welcome.  You must be an intelligent 15 year old!!!  

Welcome aboard, George89!!

Hey, Bill, I was about 9 or 10 when I got into Mike first time around, please tell me how intelligent I was/am also!  ;)

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 25 2005, 12:00

Quote (familyjules @ July 25 2005, 13:21)

Hey, Bill, I was about 9 or 10 when I got into Mike first time around, please tell me how intelligent I was/am also!  ;)

Jules

Hi George,

Happy posting, I hope that you make many Tubular.net friends here.   You are definitely an intelligent 15 year old George :) .

Hey, Jules yes you were definitely an intelligent 9 or 10 year old too.  I didn't really get into Mike until I was about 23 or 24, not so intelligent there :O.   As a kid in the 1970's I knew the album cover of Tubular Bells, but didn't appriciate the music.  I knew and liked "In Dulci Jubilo" and "Portsmouth" too at this time, but it took me some 20 years to realise they were by Mike, (perhaps  if I'd have known I'd have been a Mike fan earlier on in life).  I do have some recollection of seeing the LP of  Incantations in record shops in the late '70's,  so I've grown up with this image of Mike with shorter hair, quite conventionally dressed
 :/ .  I remember Mike doing the "Blue Peter" theme, and also with Maggie Reilly for Moonlight Shadow, ( The Elements DVD brought back some memories).  Then I didn't hear much about Mike for the next 9/10 years or so, until Tubular Bells 2.   I bought the CD of Ommadawn in the late '90's, fund it difficult to believe that Mike on the cover of Incantations is the same bloke asthe  beautiful, gorgeous looking hippy Mike on the cover of Ommadawn  :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
George89 Offline

Posted: July 25 2005, 20:55

Thanks for the kind welcomes. I bought Amarok today, and it is very good. I'm hoping to go and get the book of SODE this week aswell.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: July 25 2005, 22:50

Glad you like Amarok, if it appealed to you on the first listen I can gaurantee you will love it more and more every time you hear it, don't worry too much about Maggie Thatcher singing and tap dancing. Do you like the songs or prefer the instrumental stuff? What is the most recent album you have?

Tracy.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
George89 Offline

Posted: July 26 2005, 07:06

I prefer his instrumentals, the albums I have are:

Tubular Bells 1,2 and 3
The Songs of Distant Earth
Icantations
Hergest Ridge
Discovery
QE2
Amarok

So the most recent i have is 1998's Tubular Bells 3
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: July 26 2005, 09:21

Quote (familyjules @ July 25 2005, 08:21)

Jules

Jules!  Yes you are indeed intelligent as well!!  I, on the other hand may be intelligent, but moreso I am old.   I was 21 when Tubular Bells was released and have been listening ever since.     :D

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: July 26 2005, 09:32

I was 12 when TB was released and got it for my 13th birthday. I thought I was getting the soundtrack to the movie and TB was a band. I was 16 when I first saw a picture of Mike taken in 73.

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 26 2005, 11:47

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ July 26 2005, 09:21)
I was 21 when Tubular Bells was released and have been listening ever since.     :D

A perfectly reasonable excuse, sir!   :)

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: July 26 2005, 13:52

welcome young man!

i have been a fan since i was 8, thanks to my dad, and i turn 30 next month,  i think its fairly well known on here how i feel about Amarok, lol, so i'd like to suggest Ommadawn, and yes i know, i know, that a vast majority see Amarok as the sequel, but it dosen't mean its better! hehe, anyway welcome aboard and have fun, there are loads of great people here to chat with and it is THE BEST MO site out there

regards

lee  ;)

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
12 replies since July 24 2005, 20:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net