Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hi all, hi all< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ForeignAffair Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 22 2012, 10:19

Servus as we say in Munich Bavaria where i come from. I'm 38 yrs old and a life-long Mike Oldfield fan since his 80s pop songs intrigued me to buy his old records, too. I bought the Boxed LP Set then and boy was this a suprise !!! I lay with headphones for long hours hearing music I never heard before (I didn't like pink floyd then or yes or genesis, but now I do).

I really was into the man - his music meant and still means a lot to me. He is maybe one of my 3 or 4 favorite musicians !!! This has never changed, I was always one of Mike's biggest fans. And I didn't really get into his newer works and still don't very much like it. For me, the "last classic" Mike Oldfield record was "Amarok", everything after it can't hold up to his former glory. I know this is controversial, and I also know you can apreciate his music more if you hear it again and again.
But with the old records you never had to hear it a lot to like it - it hit you right away!

Anyway IMHO this man didn't make any "bad" record just some weaker parts on some of his output like "Heavens open" or "Millenium Bell". But there are many good parts on there, too, so again Mike didnt make bad output yet.

But IMHO he should get off his [behind] and write some good music again :)

I say hello to you all and let's share our appreciation for Mike Oldfield's wonderful music  :D

Love peace and soda
Forry
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2012, 13:35

Quote (ForeignAffair @ Jan. 22 2012, 15:19)
But with the old records you never had to hear it a lot to like it - it hit you right away!

Hello ForeignAffair

Can really relate to what you say there.

Have a particular vivid memory of 1st listening to Incantaions. It had an immediate wall of wonderful sound effect on me.

Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge moved me the most.

Crises 1 captivated me, and Five Miles Out intruiged me.

Probably a bit too young when I first heard TB - and got a very scared in a good way feeling. I was a weird kid!

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
bob the screamer Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2012, 14:45

Hello!
I also agree with what you say and also hold Amarok as the best thing he has ever done. But what do you think about music of the spheres? IMO it is the best he has done in a long while! It has a lot of the complexity and thought behind it, interesting themes and developments similar to some of the older works and I think it really proves that he is still composing top quality music!

--------------
New free album out:

http://www.bobthescreamer.com/music/twinety-twine/
Profile PM 
ForeignAffair Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2012, 14:47

Quote (bob the screamer @ Jan. 22 2012, 14:45)
Hello!
I also agree with what you say and also hold Amarok as the best thing he has ever done. But what do you think about music of the spheres? IMO it is the best he has done in a long while! It has a lot of the complexity and thought behind it, interesting themes and developments similar to some of the older works and I think it really proves that he is still composing top quality music!

I don't have his records from Tr3s Lunas on,sorry :)
Profile PM 
bob the screamer Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2012, 15:39

ah ok then. I strongly recommend to get music of the spheres then... I think you would like it :)

--------------
New free album out:

http://www.bobthescreamer.com/music/twinety-twine/
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2012, 16:14

Hello Forry and welcome.
We're the same age and discovered Mike around the same time I suppose (although TB was the first album I heard, quickly followed by QE2 and FMO). I don't like most of Mike's music post Amarok either. Like it or not, something most definately did change around that time.
I'm of the opinion that Music of the Spheres is OK but that it doesn't hold up to Mike's classic 70s/80s work.
There's room for all opinions here on this forum!  :)
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2012, 15:51

Hi Foreign Affair

Welcome to the forums. Great Avatar.

It's definitely pre-exergesis for me too!

TB (original), which I bought when it was first released (yes I really am that old!;). The intro still makes my hair stand on end. What's left of my hair that is!

Hergest (original), which I revisited some years later, and of course the magnificent Ommadawn      :)

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 'That I was used to drive  
And hear the harness jingle  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
ForeignAffair Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2012, 06:15

Quote (Bradnorman @ Jan. 23 2012, 15:51)
Great Avatar.

Thanx  :p

And thank you all for your warm welcomes !

I am very pleased with all of Mike's VIRGIN outputs, after that fzzzzz....something is gone, I don't know how to put it....the music is not per se bad, in fact f.ex. TB2 is very inspired!!! And very nice to hear,too. But it doesnt hold the same...depth that all the former outputs (including his 8os releases) hold to me, maybe it was meant to be lighter after Virgin I don't know. Maybe too much Ibiza :) But he's a genius still I'm sure and because of that I will get MOTS soon!!!!

Quote (Bradnorman @ Jan. 23 2012, 15:51)
and of course the magnificent Ommadawn

We used to joke about this title as kids, cause in German "Omma" (Oma) means Granma ;)
Profile PM 
7 replies since Jan. 22 2012, 10:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net