Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hergest Ridge Pt.1 - played on analogue synths< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
mindphaser Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 03 2010, 17:38

Hello!

I haven't posted here for quite a while because I had a lot of other things to do but as everybody's waiting impatiently for Hergest Ridge to be re-released (me included...), I'd like to shorten waiting time a bit and share my cover version of "Hergest Ridge Part 1" with you. You can download the file here:

Hergest Ridge (part 1) - demo mix MP3 - 22:09
I have uploaded the file to yousendit.com - please keep in mind that it's just online for 7 days from today and can be downloaded 100 times.

Some words about the motivation to record this and about the recording itself:

I've got the Hergest Ridge album at the age of 11 - the original mix, in spring 1984, so guess how old I am now... ;) - and was immediately stunned by the beauty of this music. Still to this day it's one of my favourite 5 albums (Ommadawn is among those 5 as well) and I still think melody-wise and from the mood it creates every time I listen to it, it's one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written - especially the first side and the start of the second side.
Another thing I found fascinating later is the recording technique used on this album. First of all how warm it sounds but, most important, the effect that a lot of instruments sounds as if they were recorded from very far away. [These effects of "distance" and "wide open spaces" is gone on the Hergest Ridge remix, sadly, so this one has never had the same effect on me as the original version...] I'm a (low scale) recording artist (...?) now and these effects I first conciously heard on my old Hergest Ridge LP obviously influenced my own recording technique a lot, although my own music is quite different.

In late 2008 I had the idea (and the time) to try to record a complete version of this old favourite of mine - not for release but just as an experiment, a study of composition and recording technique, and to see if it's possible to recreate the mood of the album when everything is played on analogue synthesisers.
The recording turned out to be much more difficult than I first thought because I didn't have any notes, of course, and had to play everything 'by ear'. That's where the "distant" recording technique got in my way - in some cases I couldn't identify certain notes because they were simply "too distant". But anyway my intention was not to record a note-perfect imitation of the music so I tried to find notes that seemed to fit.
As I wrote before, I tried to play everything on analogue synthesisers (real ones, not plug-ins) and I also tried to play everything by hand. This is, in a few cases, not completely true: There are still 2 samples in the recording - the tubular bells and the sleigh bells, because I couldn't create convincing replacements on my analogue machinery yet. And I used MIDI sequencing for a few times, but I've recorded some of the faster bits at half speed and played them back at normal speed. "Double speed synthesisers" actually...  :D  For the "strummed" guitar parts I used real guitars, but ran them through a vocoder - a technique Mr Oldfield used as well much later, e.g. at the beginning of "Mount Teide".
The whole recording is still in a "demo" stadium - there are some instruments missing that I still want to record some day, the mix needs improvement, some transitions between parts are not quite right, the "sleigh bells" part still lacks some power, the samples need to be replaced... and, of course, part 2 is still missing. Let's see if I can find the time to do all this some day! :)

Enjoy (and let me know what you think, if you want)!
Cheers from Hamburg,
Stefan

P.S.  For all who are interested in such things, these are the instruments you can hear in the recording:
- Polymoog synthesisers
- Moog Little Phatty (not vintage, but analogue...)
- Korg MS10
- Korg MS20
- Solina String-Ensemble
- Farfisa Compact-Duo
- Yamaha YC-45D
- Vox Continental
- Roland Strings RS-202
- Elkatwin 61
- Mellotron 400 (choir tapes)
- electric & acoustic guitars ("vocoded")
- Roland CR78 ("vocoded")
- MAM VF11 vocoder

--------------
www.facebook.com/thesiliconscientist
soundcloud.com/the-silicon-scientist‎
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2010, 18:39

Hello Stefan, I'm listening to your mix as I type, and it's wonderful!

A really warm sound, and interesting to hear the melodies from the original as you hear them. Hergest Ridge is so dense I think we all hear it slightly differently, and re-recording it as you have done almost makes me feel like I'm hearing it with your ears.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
mindphaser Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2010, 03:52

Thanks, olracUK, for your nice reply! :)

To be able to take part in the "Hergest Ridge competition" ( ;) ) I've uploaded my cover track again to another webspace. So if anybody is interested, you can now download the MP3 here.

All the best,
Stefan

--------------
Profile PM 
slind1962 Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2010, 18:05

Is it possible to upload to another site so we can download?
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2010, 07:38

Right click > save as on the link posted right before your post.

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2010, 14:41

I downloaded and listened to most of it. Nice! You'll pardon me if I say MO's was better. But fun, good job! Thanks for sharing. It's all in good fun, right? Once, I was commissioned to make a stage-worthy MIDI version of ZZ-Top's "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers" to play live in a honky tonk. The bass player/singer to do his part(s) never showed up to do his contribution. I continued the work and it warped into a tune that sounded like the Moody Blues with no vocals. I had a lot of fun with it. I enjoyed your re-boot tho.......
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2010, 04:40

Dude, went through it a couple of times yesterday, what can I say, respect. You have some serious synthesis kung fu, the sound is clean and tight as, someone also said it before: it's very warm. I love bass ;)

Very, very nice. True analogue synths are on a league of their own, and on the right hands, it shows.

If I had to be picky, the only thing I'd improve on would be the stereo image, currently is a bit static. But that's just me.

Brilliant.

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: April 30 2010, 13:44

The file has expired. Any chance reuploading it?

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
mindphaser Offline

Posted: June 03 2010, 03:33

Sorry for the late reply, Markus! The first link is dead but you can still download the file from this location:

hr1_demo.mp3

Thanks for your kind words, Scatterplot & ^NabLa^ ! :)

All the best,
Stefan

--------------
Profile PM 
backwoodsman Offline

Posted: June 03 2010, 08:11

Very good! Excellent job you have done, sounds warm and pleasant.
Profile PM 
Duesenberg Offline

Posted: June 04 2010, 15:56

wow..badass stuff....kudos from germany
Profile PM WEB 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: July 03 2010, 04:28

Quote (mindphaser @ June 03 2010, 10:33)
The first link is dead but you can still download the file from this location:

hr1_demo.mp3

Excellent!

And not only the link but the music too.  ;)

It still sounds very much like Hergest Ridge. I guess the arrangement is very close to original.

This just shows how versatile analog synths can be. They don't have to sound like 70's Jarre or Tangerine Dream.

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
lunarian Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2010, 13:55

've captured the soul of this disc.
I really enjoyed listening.
A very thorough, and very difficult.
keep it up.
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2010, 19:12

Nice one. I like  :D

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2010, 06:21

Wow, how good is that....Im amazed at the talent on this site.....bloody well done mate
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2010, 08:26

Just listened to this again and I have to say its just brilliant.....I wouldnt have thought it was an easy piece to play (I'm no expert). Excellent, when can we hear pt 2????

:)
Profile PM 
mindphaser Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2010, 19:16

Thank you very much! Great to see that there are still people reading my old post and enjoy the recording!  :)

Quote (Hastengas @ Dec. 01 2010, 14:26)
I wouldnt have thought it was an easy piece to play (I'm no expert).

No, it wasn't easy... It's not just the playing, more difficult was to hear what notes are played on the original recording. The hardest part was the choir at the end of pt1 - took me weeks to get the arrangement right (I'm not sure if I was successful but I tried my very best...) and then I had to play this on my old Mellotron which constantly drifts out of tune... I almost gave up on that one! :D

Quote (Hastengas @ Dec. 01 2010, 14:26)
Excellent, when can we hear pt 2????

When I find the time to record it... next year, maybe.  :/

Cheers!

--------------
Profile PM 
16 replies since Mar. 03 2010, 17:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net