Poll choices Votes Statistics
Original 1974 mix 30  [60.00%]
Boxed remix 18  [36.00%]
Orchestral Hergest Ridge 2  [4.00%]
Live versions 0  [0.00%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hergest Ridge poll, which version do you prefer?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
familyjules Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 21 2004, 07:46

I thought it would be interesting to see which version was the fans' favourite.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: June 21 2004, 09:44

The original mix by far!

Sure I like the chant in part two, but almost everything else I can think of was an improvement in the original 1974 version.
Overall it contains more variety for what are already very few themes. Even the infamous thunderstorm is somehow more bearable. I'm not sure, but I think it doesn't contain as many repetitions.

After hearing the CD version mix on Boxed I was very surprised. Unlike the remix of TB on that set, HR is more of an overhaul of what Mike at the time thought it should have been. As Martin Bartosik objectively says, the original HR represented a natural evolution of Mike's style bridging the gap between TB and Ommadawn. Since the remix was done in 1976 and -may I add- without the inspiration of The Beacon, Mike's style would have subtely changed

I guess it partly depends on what people are familiar with. The LP of HR was one of my first MO albums that I owned, so I've known it well for most of my period of listening to Mike's music. I know that some people not having heard the original mix still like it

Live versions? Are there any? I always got the feeling that HR was one of the works Mike would never perform live, just like Amarok
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 21 2004, 10:05

Quote (Jammer @ June 21 2004, 09:44)
Sure I like the chant in part two, but almost everything else I can think of was an improvement in the original 1974 version.

I'm kind of torn.  There's some lovely touches in the original mix, but my favourite part of the whole album is the three note riff (is it the 'walking theme'?) about 5 minutes into Part One.  On the Boxed remix you can hear the guitar and bass play it together and it sounds so right, but in the original mix there's too many other instruments overdubbed on top to hear this part.

That and the voices being more pronounced in Part Two meant I plumped for the Boxed remix.

But, in truth, I'm delighted to have both.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: June 21 2004, 10:15

I like the original mix more than the Boxed one. The Orchestral version is good too. And yes, there's a live version that Mike played in a few concerts at the start of the european tour in 1982 (the best known is the version played on Göteborg). It was a mix starting with a very little excerpt of Incantations (part 4) and jumping to the electric storm excerpt of HR. He played from that point till the end of part 2. I like very much this live arrengement.
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: June 21 2004, 17:03

I found the concert you mentioned and had a listen to it. Quite odd hearing this bit of HR 'rocked-up' with drums, but it's the same principle he used for TB and Ommadawn. It kind of reminded me of some of the fan covers based around HR. Matt C's one would have sounded better ;)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 21 2004, 18:36

I'm in a similar situation to Jules above, because there's parts I like  in both the main mixes (Original 1974 and Boxed), and for me the ideal mix would be one that encompassed e.g. the first climax of the main theme (from 4:12 onwards) which is only in the original mix and the wordless chants in part II, which I love, and which are pushed far low in the original mix while Mike brought 'em to the fore in the remix. There are many more examples that I may quote of places where I like elements from both mixes, but, since I really love the 1974 original mix since I first heard it [which was, by the way, not longer than two years ago... :)], I voted for that.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 21 2004, 19:30

I have only heard the '76 mix, so I can't tell, really. But suffice to say, I love every aspect of it - the repetitiveness and the subtlety. I don't think I'd want to add anything to it.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 12 2004, 22:19

As I had the original Vinyl for so many years, my ears and heart got used to that, so my objective view is tainted. yes, there are sections which are clear/more obvious in the boxed/quad/cd version, but hey, what you like you like.

as a "experiment in tonal textures" the original is closer to it's own space, the newer official versions seem to follow a different path.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 13 2004, 04:23

Boxed. Nothing against the other versions, HR is great no matter what you do with it. But Boxed. It's more balanced that the original, and I think Mike was right in declaring it the 'valid' version. I am continually amazed about the amount of sentiment that arises over this topic at times though.
I only very recently got to hear the complete Orchestral HR (only had part two for many years) and I have to say I'm a little bit disappointed, I think it's just not as strong as the original, the timing is a bit weak in places, and some parts lack in subtlety. First and foremost however I have to say I don't like Steve Hillage's playing a lot, it's just too rocky in feel to be suitable for such an occasion. Still, OHR definitely has its moments, particularly I like the parts with vocals.
Of course I'll never find out what I'd think about it if I hadn't known the original inside out...
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 15 2004, 13:52

Very interesting result so far...
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2004, 15:56

Kill me now,

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2004, 04:32

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ Sep. 06 2004, 15:56)
Kill me now

Your address would help.

;)

--------------
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2004, 06:51

I've only ever really heard one version, and I don't even know which version that is. It's the one on the remastered HDCD, I'm guessing it's the Boxed version. Even if I listen to the other mix (I do have an LP which probably has the original mix on it, as well as an LP of Boxed) I'm guessing that I will still prefer the one on the HDCD, as it's the one I am familiar with and have grown to like (not quite love, but certainly like). Once I get familiar with an album, I tend to find that any other versions just sound wrong, as I always compare it to the version I know.

As I've never heard both versions and been able to compare them, I don't know what the differences are between the two versions of Hergest Ridge. Are there major differences all the way through the piece, is it just a subtle thing, or are there major changes in only a few places?

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2004, 08:38

Quote (raven4x4x @ Sep. 08 2004, 06:51)
Are there major differences all the way through the piece, is it just a subtle thing, or are there major changes in only a few places?

I'd say it was pretty major most of the way through.  Certainly the first half of Part One and the vocal sections of Part Two are very different listening experiences.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 25 2005, 12:40

I would say the "Boxed" version of Hergest Ridge is my favourite overall.  I didn't know until  this year that there was more than one version of HR, until a Tubular.net member very kindly recorded me a copy of the long deleted Original mix of Hergest Ridge, also with the Orchestral HR, a pleasant surprise too :) , (thank you, well you know who you are).

BTW anyone who has walked up Hergest Ridge whilst playing the album of HR , will know what a wonderfully emotional experience this can be  :D .  Nothing can beat the feeling of freedom that dancing around on the Ridge can bring,  (I was staying in Kington last week) . Playing Hergest Ridge in my lounge just isn't the same.  I felt a bit sad that I had to come home. I really did notice the pollution levels increase as I came into the Bedfordshire area  :( .  I have this strong desire to move to Kington area, now where can I find a list of estate agents, in and around Kington      ;) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
mindphaser Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2005, 10:58

I definitely prefer the original version, mainly because I think that part 1 is so much better than the remixed version. I've always liked the 1st part much more than 2nd and the original has that wonderful trumpet piece (which HAS to be there, at least in my opinion...) and the mix is much more "spacious". The latter is difficult to describe for me in english - especially in the oboe part there seem to be some gentle chords floating around in the background, creating a very special mood, like fog over the hills. This has completely gone in the remix.
I must admit that I like the remix version of part 2 more than the original which seems to have been mixed in a hurry (definitely not as carefully as part one) and sounds pretty dull... I don't think that it was really intended to turn the vocals down so much in the original version or to put so much compression on the "storm" part that it's a lot quieter than the rest and sounds totally "squeezed" - all this seems to have happened by accident...

--------------
www.facebook.com/thesiliconscientist
soundcloud.com/the-silicon-scientist‎
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2005, 11:25

Quote (mindphaser @ Aug. 16 2005, 10:58)
I've always liked the 1st part much more than 2nd and the original has that wonderful trumpet piece (which HAS to be there, at least in my opinion...) and the mix is much more "spacious".

I must admit that I like the remix version of part 2 more than the original which seems to have been mixed in a hurry (definitely not as carefully as part one) and sounds pretty dull... I don't think that it was really intended to turn the vocals down so much in the original version or to put so much compression on the "storm" part that it's a lot quieter than the rest and sounds totally "squeezed" - all this seems to have happened by accident...

Good points there.  I think the Part Two remix has to be considered definitive just because of the vocals situation.

But as much as I enjoy the original mix of Part One for the reasons you mention, I don't agree that it's more spacious.  I consider the remix to be more spacious, because by taking out some of the extra instruments, what's left is allowed more room to breathe.  I especially enjoy being able to hear the bass guitar on the 'walking theme'.

But, yeah, if I all I had was a CD of the original mix of Part One, and the remix of Part Two, I wouldn't really grumble.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2005, 15:24

I guess this means I really must get my hands on the original mix somehow...

Mercury, I'm counting on you for good reissues!
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2005, 11:59

I wish I had the Orchestral Hergest Ridge part 1
I only got part two, which is genius!!
btw. of the original and boxed version, the Boxed one is better, I think! You hear the vocals more clearly :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2005, 08:20

I've just listened to Hergest Ridge Part I - Original Mix, and I have to admit that i don't prefer it to the remixed/boxed version.

They are just different, I think it's a matter of which you have listened first.
IMHO the remixed/boxed version highlights better the "significant" parts in the music, and thus the emotions, but maybe it's because I've heard the boxed version first.

I can't "obtain" the Part II of the Original Mix, damn! Hope I can in future... ;)

bye
Andrea
Profile PM 
24 replies since June 21 2004, 07:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net