Topic: Hergest Ridge Original Locations< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 24 1999, 15:10

Hi,
Olivier, the forum is a great idea.
Good luck with it!
Here is another poser: After Mike made TB, he
was embarassed by all the buzz about it and retired to the Welsh Mountains where he made Ommadawn (my favourite piece of music). When I was in Britain some years ago, I tried to find the "original locations", guided by the sleeve notes of Ommadawn. I was on Hergest Ridge, and I spent one night in Glascwm
(some houses surrounded by grazing sheep), where the "youth hostel" consists of two
iron containers with beds in them, looked over by some guy on a bicycle who turns up once a day to collect the money. Very remote!
However, I couldn't find Penrhos. On the sleeve it says "The Penrhos Kids", and that must be where he lived.
Where exactly is that place?
Greetings,
Carsten

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
BlairT Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 24 1999, 15:52

I can't help you with the locations, but did you happen to take any pictures of Hergest Ridge?
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 1999, 14:08

Yes, I did. But then in Monmouth my camera was stolen. Sorry!

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Richard Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 1999, 18:19

Penrhos Court is a hotel & resturaunt about 3 miles fron Kington in Herefordshire. It is located on the road to Shobdon and the Penrhos Kids were the children of the owners of the hotel.
Mike used to play guitar with Les Penning in the resturaunt during the recording of Hergest Ridge & ommadawn
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 01 2000, 17:20

I have been to Hergest Ridge several times. Mike`s house was called the BEACON, in fact it still is but now it is a b&b. The house is located past the Kington golf club. I also have photos taken when i was there.
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2000, 12:43

Great! Can you mail some to me?

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2000, 18:40

Thank you Graham!
I hope everybody agrees that this story proves the internet is the best way of exchanging information, quickly and precisely.

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Solstice Offline

Posted: April 24 2000, 09:41

I think you may also find that Penrhos Court (actually at Lyonshall)was co- owned by Terry Jones of Monty Python fame. I have a photo c 1981 of the entrance which is quite atmospheric. In 1985 whist camping on top of the Ridge I experienced the 'Radnor Rumble'- earth tremors which are felt fairly often in the area. It made listening to the album on the walkman on site all the more memorable and the bass somewhat richer for a few seconds! Another fact, the circular earthwork at the top of the Ridge was the site of many deaths during the Great Plague. Clean villagers would leave food etc on top to be collected later by unclean neighbouring villagers. unfortunately for them the effort was often too great and this would be their last journey. Makes camping there all the more atmospheric..
Solstice

--------------
Solstice
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: June 28 2000, 17:09

I finally visited Hergest Ridge on Monday. I spent the night on the side of the hill and found the pool of which there is a photo of Mike standing in. Could not quite find the exact location for the album cover. it's a great place anyway, I live on the edge of Dartmoor, so it is similar. I wonder how many fans make the pilgrimage?
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 24 2000, 15:01

I'm going to England very soon (in about a week) and want to visit Hergest Ridge too.

Can somebody sent photos so I can recognize the place? smile Thanks.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: July 24 2000, 16:12

Blue Dolphin, there's a nice picture of The Ridge at "Wolf's Hergest Ridge Cafe". Check out the links section!

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 27 2000, 16:28

Gee! Thanks man! smile

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 15 2006, 09:58

Quote (CarstenKuss @ Nov. 24 2000, 15:10)
Where exactly is that place?

Hi Carsten,

Penrhos lies on the Welsh Border off the A44 Leominster to Kington road, 1 mile east of Kington on the right hand

Penrhos Court

:cool:
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2006, 10:22

Quote (Guest @ June 28 2000, 22:09)
I finally visited Hergest Ridge on Monday. I spent the night on the side of the hill and found the pool of which there is a photo of Mike standing in. Could not quite find the exact location for the album cover. it's a great place anyway, I live on the edge of Dartmoor, so it is similar. I wonder how many fans make the pilgrimage?

Well probably more than you think.  At least more than I thought.  I went in 1980, the first place I went as soon as I bought a motorbike!!  I thought it a bit extream so didnt mention it to many people.  Then recently I saw that quite a few of the chaps writing on here (TubNet) had been so I dont feel so bad now.

I also went to Penrhos Course and samples Penrhos ales!!!  Although I used to Live in Hereford, by the time I visited we'd moved up to North Wales.

In fact I going again at Easter to take my son Fin who is 11 as he wants to go. Uh Oh History Repeats its self.  Cheers  Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2006, 17:34

Quote (Solstice @ April 24 2000, 14:41)
I think you may also find that Penrhos Court (actually at Lyonshall)was co- owned by Terry Jones of Monty Python fame. I have a photo c 1981 of the entrance which is quite atmospheric.

Terry Jones is a Patron  with the Penrhos Trust , Martin Griffiths, Mike's riding instrustor and father of The Penrhos Kids,is Chairman also   Jason Griffiths  (Martin's son and one of the Penrhos  Kids) is responsible for architecture . See here   www.penrhostrust.org/details.html

The Penrhos Trust sets out to find new uses for old farm buildings , and also promotes the idea of organic food for more info see herewww.penrhostrust.org/index.html .

QUOTE]In 1985 whist camping on top of the Ridge I experienced the 'Radnor Rumble'- earth tremors which are felt fairly often in the area. It made listening to the album on the walkman on site all the more memorable and the bass somewhat richer for a few seconds! Another fact, the circular earthwork at the top of the Ridge was the site of many deaths during the Great Plague. Clean villagers would leave food etc on top to be collected later by unclean neighbouring villagers. unfortunately for them the effort was often too great and this would be their last journey. Makes camping there all the more atmospheric..
Solstice[/QUOTE]

Well I never knew that about The Ridge being the final resting place of many victims of the Great Plague.  I've heard about Hergest Court/Ridge  being the setting for The Hound of The Baskervilles , and not Dartmoor, as widely believed.      www.bbc.co.uk/herefordandworcester/features/2004/04/hound.
shtml

Strange then I found The Ridge to be so peaceful and tranquil   :D , if it wasn't so nippy up there of an evening, at an  altitude of 1389ft or 426m for those who prefer metric. No Black Shuck, (eastern England name for the rather fearsome looking black hounds) would put me off of going up The Ridge .

Guest   Posted on June 28 2000, 22:09I finally visited Hergest Ridge on Monday. I spent the night on the side of the hill and found the pool of which there is a photo of Mike standing in. Could not quite find the exact location for the album cover. it's a great place anyway, I live on the edge of Dartmoor, so it is similar. I wonder how many fans make the pilgrimage?

I love The Ridge too.  I've now decided that I MUST try and visit Kington/Hergest Ridge annually :cool: .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
14 replies since Nov. 24 1999, 15:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net