[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hergest Ridge film?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 14 2004, 14:39

The Amarok web site

http://www.amarok.f9.co.uk/mike/discog/extras/films.htm

mentions a film based on Hergest Ridge, but it leaves out information such as, who produced it. Does anyone know anything more about this film?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 14 2004, 16:02

Ah yes, I've heard of this - never seen it though.

I'm sure that somewhere I've seen a page which has some stills from it. Unless I can find that, I can't add anything which the Amarok page doesn't say (produced by film students, uses imagery from the album cover).
Profile PM 
ATTMO Offline

Posted: June 15 2004, 06:48

well apart form that the space movie contains parts of (orchestral) hergest ridge but i guess you knew that already

--------------
"Such is life; and we are but as grass that is cut down, and put into the oven and baked" - Jerome K Jerome
Profile PM 
ramsoft Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 20:29

Buy the Mike Oldfield Best of DVD, in the extras theres is that film
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 20:55

Yes, there's an excerpt from The Space Movie on the Elements DVD, but it's not the section containing the Orchestral Hergest Ridge which was mentioned above.

It would be ineteresting if the DVD included the Hergest Ridge film (although who knows whether it's something worth including or not...it's an interesting idea at least!).
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 21:16

Having never heard the Orchestral version of HR, I can't really comment on the music. All I will say is that I feel HR would lend itself far better to orchestral interpretation than TB. Having said that, I feel that Bedford's use of TB for orchestra was far too literal in the main and that TB's transposition to classical status could have been improved with more flexibility in the arrangements.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 15 2006, 09:45

A 25-minute video inspired by Hergest Ridge was produced by film students as a "pilot" for a complete album-length version, which was never made. In the story, a young woman climbs a hill (encountering the glider and dog as seen on the album cover), and finds some unpleasant things along the way.

Several versions of this rare film are in circulation, one of which includes a montage of out-takes from the film, using Moonshine (from Tubular Bells II) as the soundtrack.

Sometimes a copy surfaces on eBay.
Profile PM 
6 replies since June 14 2004, 14:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net