no 5  [4.13%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: hergest ridge, like it or not< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 09 2004, 16:42

I was introduced to it by one of the earlier bad vinyl pressings. The one with the loud sizzle, that led me to look for "frying bacon" in the typical long played-by-Mike instrument list on the back. It is either HR or Ommadawn that I purchased about the time it first came out, and have been seeking Oldfield albums ever since

When I found the "Boxed" version of HR, I was disappointed, because I thought the snare drum, trumpet, etc. added a lot to it. The part that used to have the trumpet seems almost like a Karaoke song that no-one is singing to: the main part is missing.

The ridge itself is high on my list of places to visit. I'd likely bring all 3 versions of HR that I know of, in order to listen to them. Which Vaughan Williams do you recommend the most, as being most HR-like?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2004, 12:20

Quote (hiawatha @ Oct. 09 2004, 21:42)
Which Vaughan Williams do you recommend the most, as being most HR-like?

I should make it clear that my comparison with the music of VW was in terms of the feelings they evoke - not that they are musically similar.

Back then I was very keen on the 3rd and 5th symphonies; the Tallis Fantasia; The Lark Ascending; The Wasps. Which of these comes closest to Hergest Ridge I wouldn't like to say (I'm not even sure it makes sense to try), but I suppose the symphonies and the Tallis. Any musician could probably shoot me down in flames here as far as musical technique is concerned, and yet there is that elusive quality of an almost spiritual English landscapeness that links them, for me.

When I was on the Ridge (I've been there several times but only once with the music) it was a blustery day with wildly scudding clouds, and flashes of sunlight with sudden rough showers of rain. The air was so clear - tremendous distant views. Grazing ponies added to the links with the music.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2004, 10:54

Yesterday, I heard some amazing music on the radio. It was classical, yet Oldfieldian in some ways. I listened to the end, and it was announced as "Lark Ascending" by Vaughan Williams.

You are right.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2004, 15:21

Quote (hiawatha @ Oct. 14 2004, 15:54)
Yesterday, I heard some amazing music on the radio. It was classical, yet Oldfieldian in some ways. I listened to the end, and it was announced as "Lark Ascending" by Vaughan Williams.

You are right.

Well, that sounds like a pretty good test to me! Very interesting that you should respond to it like that, not knowing what it was.

I haven't listened to VW for a long time (though this discussion will send me back to him, I fancy) but my memory of 'Lark' is that it would run parallel to the gentle, delicate parts of Hergest Ridge. The Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis would correspond to the harder, earthier aspects of HR, I think. Listening to 'Lark' you can imagine yourself on the Ridge in high summer, and still air, lying in the grass with eyes half-closed. Listening to 'Tallis' you'd think of the Ridge on a wilder day, with a steady breeze and dark clouds on the horizon coming towards you, wondering if you were going to make it to home, and a warm fire, in time....

Seems to me like you have some good listening ahead of you.
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2004, 15:55

[QUOTE] (Hiawatha @ Oct. 09 2004,09:41)
It is also identicicalThankyou Hiawatha!  :)  :)

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2004, 16:15

you are welcome....but what did I do for you?

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2004, 03:08

Sorry about that Hiawatha I was just about to say why I thanked you but my mum shouted at me to turn my computer off.  I was going to say thankyou for your reply on the similarites between Tubular Bells and Hergest Ridge I discussed on the previous page.  :)  :)

Quote (Hiawatha @ Oct. 09 2004, 09:41)
It is also similar to the main bass line of "Stranglehold" by Ted Nugent. Similar, but not identical.

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
amarokian Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2005, 04:01

Great album,at first didn't seem to much comparing to Tubular Bells and Ommadawn,but after two or three more listen,I found the pleasure of listening Hergest Ridge.

--------------
These posts are hazardous to the health of cloth-eared nincompoops.If you suffer from this condition after you read my posts,consult your doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2005, 04:37

Quote (familyjules @ June 21 2004, 10:18)
I now have the original mix and the Orchestral on one CD and they blend quite seamlessly - it makes a wonderful CD - a truly great listening experience.
Jules

I made exactly such a CD myself a couple of weeks ago, but have only just now noticed this post of yours, Jules.

Does this mean that from here on everything you do, I will do 6 months later? It's like ... treading through the snow in the footprints of Good King Wenceslas or something....
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2005, 06:41

Quote (Alan D @ Feb. 15 2005, 04:37)
Does this mean that from here on everything you do, I will do 6 months later? It's like ... treading through the snow in the footprints of Good King Wenceslas or something....

Hmmmmm maybe.  Let me know if you have to have a meeting with a mortgage advisor exactly 6 months from today....

;)

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2005, 10:45

Quote (familyjules @ Feb. 15 2005, 11:41)
Let me know if you have to have a meeting with a mortgage advisor exactly 6 months from today....
Jules

I've just arranged one for August 15th. I mean - no point in trying to escape fate, is there?

(And now, readers, we transfer you back to the topic of this thread, namely, Hergest Ridge....)
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2005, 11:48

Quote (Alan D @ Feb. 15 2005, 10:45)
(And now, readers, we transfer you back to the topic of this thread, namely, Hergest Ridge....)

I liked it 6 months before Alan did!

Heh

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2005, 13:02

Sudden thought. Last year, when I was walking along Hergest Ridge listening to the music through headphones.... whose were the 6-month-old footprints I noticed?

And are you related in any way, Jules, to the Wenceslas family?
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2005, 05:14

Quote (Alan D @ Feb. 15 2005, 13:02)
And are you related in any way, Jules, to the Wenceslas family?

Well I do sometimes look out of my bedroom window....

;)

Jules W

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2005, 06:56

Quote (familyjules @ Feb. 16 2005, 10:14)
Well I do sometimes look out of my bedroom window....

That clinches it.

And now, back once more to... Hergest Ridge.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 22 2005, 20:48

Hergest Ridge, I love it. Pity it's always been overlooked by Tubular Bells ( I love TB too), but I feel HR is somehow more complex plus Mike shows more maturity with this work, (all within the space of 1 year 3 months, between release dates).  Don't get me wrong I'm not calling TB childish, by any means, but HR sounds a more reflective album.  TB was perhaps the energy rush, HR sounds more mellower :) and peaceful, or at least it does to me  :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: May 23 2005, 14:12

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 10 2004, 12:20)

I should make it clear that my comparison with the music of VW was in terms of the feelings they evoke - not that they are musically similar.

Back then I was very keen on the 3rd and 5th symphonies; the Tallis Fantasia; The Lark Ascending; The Wasps. Which of these comes closest to Hergest Ridge I wouldn't like to say (I'm not even sure it makes sense to try), but I suppose the symphonies and the Tallis. Any musician could probably shoot me down in flames here as far as musical technique is concerned, and yet there is that elusive quality of an almost spiritual English landscapeness that links them, for me.

When I was on the Ridge (I've been there several times but only once with the music) it was a blustery day with wildly scudding clouds, and flashes of sunlight with sudden rough showers of rain. The air was so clear - tremendous distant views. Grazing ponies added to the links with the music.

My thanks to Moonchildhippy for resurrecting this thread and giving me the opportunity to discover another fan of Vaughan Williams. Beautiful music - pastoral and typically English for all the right reasons. 'Tallis' and 'Lark' have reduced me to tears on occasions for the sheer beauty of the music and the images they provoke; one yearns for a world that would always be that way.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 23 2005, 15:56

Quote (T4 @ May 23 2005, 19:12)
Beautiful music - pastoral and typically English for all the right reasons. 'Tallis' and 'Lark' have reduced me to tears on occasions for the sheer beauty of the music and the images they provoke; one yearns for a world that would always be that way.

Yes. I discovered Vaughan Williams when I was about 16/17, and those sweeping jagged strings in music like 'Tallis' seemed like the most profound things I'd ever heard. I used to seek out solitary windswept hillsides and moorlands in Derbyshire, and  listen to the wind stirring the grass, imagining that I was hearing Vaughan Williams in every warm gust.

With that kind of background, and rock & roll to boot, I was absolutely set up to respond powerfully to Hergest Ridge when I eventually encountered it.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 23 2005, 19:20

Quote (T4 @ May 23 2005, 19:12)
Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 10 2004, 12:20)

My thanks to Moonchildhippy for resurrecting this thread and giving me the opportunity to discover another fan of Vaughan Williams. Beautiful music - pastoral and typically English for all the right reasons. 'Tallis' and 'Lark' have reduced me to tears on occasions for the sheer beauty of the music and the images they provoke; one yearns for a world that would always be that way.

You're welcome T4 :) .
I've heard of Vaughan Williams, but I'm not familiar with his music.  
To Alan and T4, is what you're saying is if I love Hergest Ridge , I'll like VW, or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?

As stated in in my previous post HR has the ability to reduce me to
tears for the sheer beauty of the music alone, or if I feel sad too, but by the Thunderstorm/Martian section my spirits are uplifted and I'm dancing around the room     :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 24 2005, 04:43

Quote (moonchildhippy @ May 24 2005, 00:20)
To Alan and T4, is what you're saying is if I love Hergest Ridge , I'll like VW, or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?

No, I don't think we're saying that. I think we're recognising that they have something in common that causes us to like both. If you like the 'English landscape feeling' that Hergest Ridge evokes, then you can find a lot more of it in Vaughan Williams - but presented in a very different way of course.
Profile PM 
110 replies since July 22 2003, 05:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net