no 5  [4.13%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: hergest ridge, like it or not< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 17:33

Quote (moonchildhippy @ May 10 2007, 20:59)
[quote=Sweatpea,May 08 2007, 18:42]

The Bell(end)   Posted on Oct. 21 2005, 14:44
Quote (familyjules @ May 24 2004, 12:52)
Quote (Brewer @ May 07 2004, 22:25)
If there is such a thing as an orgasmic piece of music then this is it.

Actually Ommadawn would get my vote as the 'orgasmic' MO album.

Hehehe, well HR is more romanitc, another discussion was what music to use when making love (if any) Hergest ridge 'came out on top' so surely that is the orgasmic album  ;)

Thanks for reviving this topic Sweetpea. Now I've got myself a boyfriend who loves both Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn:cool:  maybe we'll have to put it to the test :D  ;) .

Wonder if that threads still on here ;) .

Oh yes I recently got myself a pine  king size bed , as my old bed was, er well old, and my boyfriend helped me put it together, well he did most of the work, made my attempts look feeble. After driving the 60 or so miles to see me how could I refuse to let him test it out, and the music we went for was Hergest Ridge  ;)  :cool:  :)  :D .  Just when I thought I couldn't love Hergest Ridge more than I did already, I love my boyfriend very much too.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 18:17

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Aug. 03 2007, 23:33)
Oh yes I recently got myself a pine  king size bed , as my old bed was, er well old, and my boyfriend helped me put it together, well he did most of the work, made my attempts look feeble. After driving the 60 or so miles to see me how could I refuse to let him test it out, and the music we went for was Hergest Ridge  ;)  :cool:  :)  :D .  Just when I thought I couldn't love Hergest Ridge more than I did already, I love my boyfriend very much too.

:D

Thanks for sharing that!

;)
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 19:18

Wonder if that threads still on here  .

My to, and I started it loooong time ago and Is still think HG is bad

But what a good discussion.

I don't like the new cover -either:-)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2007, 00:23

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Aug. 03 2007, 17:33)
we'll have to put it to the test
the music we went for was Hergest Ridge

Wait - what's this about again? Determining the most orgasmic MO album? Surely, to be fair, you should give all the albums a chance?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2007, 07:04

I was playing HR the other day, while cleaning house, and it struck me that it's not only Romantic, but romantic as well, so I can see where you're coming from with your partiality, moonchildhippy. I should note that in viewing this piece in such a light, the "Thunderstorm"/"Martian" section suddenly imparts an entirely different mental image.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2007, 13:18

I wouldn't litsen to  Hergest Ridge whilst doing the housework, but did listen to Amarok once when doing some ironing:p , I hate ironing, but try as I will I don't get Amarok :/.

Anyway back to Hergest Ridge, yep it's both Romantic and romantic, the energy does change with the  Thunderstorm/Martian section, sort of builds up pace, for an almighty climatic ending    :cool:  :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2008, 18:10

Yep, I do like it.  But I like it so much more now I've got the original mix.  The version on my cd really does pale in comparison.  It's almost like the remix is a painting that's just been roughly sketched in pencil.  You can see the potential, but it's not really that hot.  It's only when you add the colour and the detail that the painting really shines, and that's what the original is for me.  It's also my favourite album to relax and just let my mind wander off.  And it's summery.  One of my friends thinks it's a winter album but - sleigh bells aside - I just don't see it.  Even the sleigh bells bit isn't that wintry to me.
:)
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2008, 01:31

I absolutely ADORE this recording, but only the original version....that's why I hunted so hard for the "Porky cut". I can leave the 7-8 minute "jam" in part two but this is an album I'm so.....bonded to, like a puppy(I would be the puppy in this analogy) I guess. It gave me pleasure when I was 13, but at 46, it's part of me. Other MO albums I can do without except Ommadawn, Incantations and a few others. But this is a masterpiece even if a few parts seem "immature".....but Jesus, the dude was only 20. Many years ago I played my old  LP for my mom. It was a Sunday. When it was over she said "that was a nice church service, Jim".  When you think about it...she was right. There is something religious about this work. I think that's what MO's intention was in 1974.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2008, 16:56

I've always liked HR. Maybe a bit less than some of M.O.'s later works, but I've always considered it a very, very good album. However, after listening over and over to the very clean album rip by Jim (Scatterplot), I'm starting to find all sorts of glitches and inaccuracies and faults in it, which threaten to hamper my liking of the music, and sometimes they actually do hamper it. Also, listening to that mix, I'm realizing that there is a small section of Part II that I just don't like. [I can't give the time reference here, as I haven't got the CD with me, but it's in the middle of the "Thunderstorm".] If I were Mike O. and were doing a re-recording of HR (which Mike O. won't ever do, as AFAIK he hates the album), I'd shorten that part or remove it completely.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
spacediver Offline

Posted: April 14 2008, 21:00

just listened to this for the first time 2 nights ago, and I was utterly blown away by the moments of pure beauty. This experience was intensified by the fact that I was undergoing something quite painful and beautiful with the girl lying next to me, so this album will always carry a certain emotional weight.

There was one part in part 2 which I think was overkill - 11:58 to 13:38, but the relief from that section kinda makes up for it.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 27 2008, 15:29

Quote (spacediver @ April 14 2008, 21:00)
There was one part in part 2 which I think was overkill - 11:58 to 13:38, but the relief from that section kinda makes up for it.

Spacediver, that reminds me of a joke I heard...

"Why are you banging your head on the wall?"
"Because it feels so good when I stop."

--------------
Profile PM 
110 replies since July 22 2003, 05:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net