Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hergest Ridge, Mirror tube to view Hergest Ridge cover< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
peterkent Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 12 2023, 07:34

I've read about a mirror tube that came with the Hergest Ridge LP - so you could view the Hergest Ridge cover photo as a panorama.
I have never seen it with copies of Hergest Ridge in second hand record shops or seen it discussed anywhere *
Does anybody know anything about this tube?
Can it be recreated yourself to view the cover photo of Hergest Ridge as a panorama?

[ * Forgive me if this a topic that has been covered before - I must confess I am only a recent convert to Mike Oldfield (only hearing Hergest Ridge for the first time earlier this year - but have become slightly obsessed with Hergest Ridge specifically and have visited the Kington area and walked the ridge many times this summer) ]

Thanks
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2023, 07:50

I never even knew about this!

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
peterkent Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2023, 08:02

this is the only place I've seen the 'mirror tube' mentioned :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/herefor....e.shtml

"With a typical 70s touch, the photo could be made panoramic by using a special mirror tube that came with the album."
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2023, 15:12

If it came with the album, there would be Mike Olfield collectors who know about it, which I don't think it the case.
Tbh the HR cover is kind of lame, and I can see why someone would assume that you would need special equipment to view it as intended.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2023, 18:32

Quote (peterkent @ Oct. 12 2023, 08:02)
this is the only place I've seen the 'mirror tube' mentioned :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/herefor....e.shtml

"With a typical 70s touch, the photo could be made panoramic by using a special mirror tube that came with the album."

What in the world is a "mirror tube"?  Does a such-named thing truly exist?  Or was it made up in keeping with the whole tubular motif.  I can almost hear Vivian Stanshall... "Plus...tubular mirror!"
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2023, 23:21

Quote (larstangmark @ Oct. 12 2023, 15:12)
the HR cover is kind of lame,

I believe that's why it was upgraded in 2010 because I'm not sure anyone was ever entirely happy with the original.  The updated version is far more pleasing, although even then it could probably have been better since the fibre glass type glider, even the whole idea of powered human flight, is arguably too contemporary and mundane for the premodern, other-worldly, pastoral style of music (apart from the full frontal electric guitar assault of side 2 of course).  Something more along the lines of Return to Ommadawn or possibly something in the manner of progressive rock album cover artists William Roger Dean (Yes) or Paul Whitehead (Genesis) could have been a better fit.  But then overall Mike's team was remarkably conservative with their album cover design choices at least for albums 2-4.  Nothing really iconic, creative, or reflecting the music, going on with them at all.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2023, 06:58

Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ Oct. 12 2023, 23:21)

I believe that's why it was upgraded in 2010 because I'm not sure anyone was ever entirely happy with the original.  The updated version is far more pleasing, although even then it could probably have been better since the fibre glass type glider, even the whole idea of powered human flight, is arguably too contemporary and mundane for the premodern, other-worldly, pastoral style of music (apart from the full frontal electric guitar assault of side 2 of course).  Something more along the lines of Return to Ommadawn or possibly something in the manner of progressive rock album cover artists William Roger Dean (Yes) or Paul Whitehead (Genesis) could have been a better fit.  But then overall Mike's team was remarkably conservative with their album cover design choices at least for albums 2-4.  Nothing really iconic, creative, or reflecting the music, going on with them at all.

Whilst personally I would avoid the much overused word "iconic", I'd say that the David Bailey photograph of Mike used for Ommadawn makes for a very striking cover, and is definitely one for the ages.

I'm not a fan of retrospectively changing the album sleeve images, as Mike did for both Hergest Ridge and Incantations. They may have been flawed, but those are the images we associated with the music for decades. Just leave them be, says I.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2023, 17:29

I like the components of the HR cover. The model plane, the dog and the grass are good, and random enough to make you ponder their significiance. It's just that the fish eye lens idea doesn't add anything to it. It just gives the impression of a failed photo experiment.

I certainly wouldn't have prefered a dungeons and dragons/rodney mathews style cover, like RTO had. It's just not Mike's style, and one of the reasons I am a huge fan of Mike's 70s and 80s work, is his ability to stay away from clichés like that. I know many people feel that TB and Ommadawn is Tolkien, Lord of the Rings-style music, but I disagree. It's music that lives in a world of its own, and Mike's albums sleeves - however random and half-assed they might be - is part of that world.

I also love that the aeoroplane is back on the FMO cover.

The idea to have a google earth screengrab as cover art for the re-issue of HR is just lazy, even if it looks kind of OK and goes along well with the music.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2023, 18:24

Quote (larstangmark @ Oct. 14 2023, 17:29)

I like the components of the HR cover. The model plane, the dog and the grass are good, and random enough to make you ponder their significiance. It's just that the fish eye lens idea doesn't add anything to it. It just gives the impression of a failed photo experiment.

I certainly wouldn't have prefered a dungeons and dragons/rodney mathews style cover, like RTO had. It's just not Mike's style, and one of the reasons I am a huge fan of Mike's 70s and 80s work, is his ability to stay away from clichés like that. I know many people feel that TB and Ommadawn is Tolkien, Lord of the Rings-style music, but I disagree. It's music that lives in a world of its own, and Mike's albums sleeves - however random and half-assed they might be - is part of that world.

I also love that the aeoroplane is back on the FMO cover.

The idea to have a google earth screengrab as cover art for the re-issue of HR is just lazy, even if it looks kind of OK and goes along well with the music.

I so agree with ALL of this.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2023, 02:35

Quote (familyjules @ Oct. 14 2023, 06:58)

Whilst personally I would avoid the much overused word "iconic", I'd say that the David Bailey photograph of Mike used for Ommadawn makes for a very striking cover, and is definitely one for the ages.

I'm not a fan of retrospectively changing the album sleeve images, as Mike did for both Hergest Ridge and Incantations. They may have been flawed, but those are the images we associated with the music for decades. Just leave them be, says I.

Jules

On 2nd thought, when you put it like that, I can appreciate the Ommadawn cover.  Simple, no nonsense, but it has a kind of deep power, much like the music itself. The original Hergest Ridge cover is not great and I like the upgraded version much more.  There's nothing wrong if you think of it as the cover of the 2010 remaster/mix, which is a quite different musical experience, so a different product, different packaging, that seems reasonable.  With Incantantions, unlike Ommadawn, it's not really a very flattering portrait of the artist.  He looks uncomfortable and kind of gooberish, unlike the quietly brooding, Mona Lisa-like mysteriousness and handsome debonair air of the Ommadawn study.

With Return to Ommadawn, that's one of my favorite covers for any album.  It's absolutely brilliant, in my opinion, and really fits with the music.  It was possibly conceived in response to Man on the Rocks also, to mark the album as totally distinct from the bland, useless AI-generated sounding soulless, lifeless, watered down throwaway corporate rock of that record; instead, here was something that went deeper into Oldfield's progressive, pastoral, ancient Celtic and Brythonic-infused spiritual roots than anything since the original quartet, and arguably even surprised their unparalleled magic.   Also, someone said Mike had been enjoying "Game of Thrones" and wanted something reminiscent of that, and even though Robin of Sherwood (84-86) is the last word in medieval TV as far as I'm concerned, who are we to quibble with the artist's inspiration.  In fact, in that sense, Return to Ommadawn becomes something of a spiritual sibling to Clannad's equally haunting and timeless soundtrack (Legend). I'm sure Mike must have been a longtime admirer of that album.
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2023, 02:50

Quote (larstangmark @ Oct. 14 2023, 17:29)
[quote=larstangmark,Oct. 12 2023, 15:12]the HR cover is kind of lame,

I certainly wouldn't have prefered a dungeons and dragons/rodney mathews style cover, like RTO had.

Don't get me wrong...I've never been a fan of the foundational Yes album covers, or even the band name logo for that matter, nor the 70s Genesis ones (with the exception of A Trick of the Tail, which is a work of true artistic genius, in keeping with the album itself).  In fact, most of those covers are (in the case of Yes) quite ugly, overwrought, and altogether sort of try-hard and sophomoric (a bit like a lot of the music on those records), while the Genesis ones are just kind of blah and whatever (it seems that what Genesis were going for was perfected on Smashing Pumpkin's Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, which includes a superb set of artworks).  

And you're right you can't possibly have Five Miles Out without the plane...that's the entire basis of the whole concept, inasmuch as it is a concept album (which of course it isn't, strictly speaking...but the title track obviously and other aspects are all sort of cohere to that theme).

As for Rodney Matthews, since you mention him, of course his work is cheesy and tacky, and not far removed from the garish sleaze of Derek Riggs (Iron Maiden).  I'd suggest that the Yes covers and the wider work of the designer, William Roger Dean, are on the whole a slight step up dignity from that level.  Either way, they (whoever exactly came up with it) nailed the packaging with Return to Ommadawn, in my opinion.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2023, 11:02

Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ Oct. 15 2023, 02:35)
With Return to Ommadawn, that's one of my favorite covers for any album.  It's absolutely brilliant, in my opinion, and really fits with the music.

I want to like it, but I don't. It looks like a young adult fantasy fiction book cover to me. Sorry.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2023, 16:17

Quote (familyjules @ Oct. 15 2023, 11:02)
Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ Oct. 15 2023, 02:35)
With Return to Ommadawn, that's one of my favorite covers for any album.  It's absolutely brilliant, in my opinion, and really fits with the music.

I want to like it, but I don't. It looks like a young adult fantasy fiction book cover to me. Sorry.

Jules

There's nothing wrong with tapping into the young adult in all of us, in a tasteful way, which is accomplished therein , in my opinion.  Especially since as the title suggests, the record is a "return" to an earlier time...a time when Mike was, indeed, a young adult. I for one don't begrudge him for indulging that (especially after the painful Man on the Rocks, an inexplicable misstep). Thus in many respects (not least in terms of the unearthly mysticism evoked by the music itself), the cover image is so appropriate.  And it's not as if YA fantasy imagery has to be a bad thing, per se . (I'm not sure if I'm supposed to apologize to you at this point for liking it).  But at the same time, I can see how it could leave some people cold, so to speak. It's the type of concept that has every potential to go badly off the rails, in the way you describe, but I think they got it just about right.
Profile PM 
12 replies since Oct. 12 2023, 07:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net