Both equally sublime 4  [23.53%]
What a racket - waste of plastic 0  [0.00%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Here I go again, Favourite Part?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
trcanberra Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 31 2008, 06:19

Yes, I'm at it again.  Part 1 for me, I still can't quite take to the start of Part 2 and the whole thing seems a little short and unfinished - great melodies not fully developed.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 31 2008, 06:25

part 2
you just can´t beat the sensitive bagpipes in the middle and MO´s sublime guitarplaying in the end at 11.45-13.45..
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2008, 06:36

Quote (prisoner.of.the.dark.sky @ Mar. 31 2008, 06:25)
part 2
you just can´t beat the sensitive bagpipes in the middle and MO´s sublime guitarplaying in the end at 11.45-13.45..

I love that bit of Part 2 - which is what makes me cry out with frustration - it is begging to be further developed.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 31 2008, 08:13

Side 2 is good, therefore it's the best side of the album.

I tried. I tried HARD, but side 1 does nothing to me. Nothing. I swear I tried.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2008, 09:43

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 31 2008, 08:13)
Side 2 is good, therefore it's the best side of the album.

I tried. I tried HARD, but side 1 does nothing to me. Nothing. I swear I tried.

:O  :O

Crikey and blimey etc etc..Surely that`s like being a Beatles fan and not liking Sgt Pepper.Or it`s like enjoying sexual intercourse but not being too fussed about all that messy buisness at the end of it...Great gosh a ding dong Sir M you`ve really knocked me sideways with that one..Fair enough though we`ve all got our own personal favourites that`s for sure.

I must admit though that section of music with Mike and Paddy Maloney on side two is one of my favourites no question.Can`t believe they came up with it drunk at four o` clock in the morning allegedlly.And just before the deadline as well.No wonder they did`nt have time to develop it even further unfortunatly.Although it`s pretty damn marvelous the way it is.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2008, 13:00

It's interesting. Not one person answered "waste of plastic". Superb. I mean the poll answers as well as the album. I'm 46 years old and spent 40 minutes x 434.65 times listening to it in 32 years. Do the math. Good googly goo, I must like the hell out of it huh? Oh wow I'm forgetting downloading "Ommadawn 2007".....a whole bunch of versions of Ommadawn live in a .Rar file. Enjoyed it a lot. Thanks for that!
Jimbo

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 01 2008, 11:41

(before we go on, please, spare the sexual analogies if you don't want to be scared further)

I suppose not liking Ommadawn might be something mystifying (though I still think liking Tubular Bells II is mystifying to me, but that's not for here), but no matter what, I don't get the first part of it. The melodies through its initial and middle portions are all very good, but when it builds to climaxes, it all seems sort of pointless. And at the end, there's that excruciatingly long, drawn-out build-up section, and all the time I keep wanting it to "come on, come on, DO SOMETHING already", but all I get is a strummed guitar and African drums about 6 miles away, a loud bass guitar that hops around more than a kangaroo in a bouncy castle, the bleep-blooping lead guitar, TWO FEMALE VOCALISTS YELLING THE HELL INSIDE MY EARDRUMS and a SHRILL, PIERCING SYNTHESIZER THAT PENETRATES MY BRAIN THROUGH MY FOREHEAD. And yet, with all the yelling, it sounds like it's muffled by a mattress. It kind of baffles me that when it's GOING to burst, it steps back inside a coffin and stays there before a muffled "thummm" and all things go quiet. Maybe it's just the production, but the melodic content there is, to put it mildly, vague.

Part two is nearly a completely separate EP, which is just fine and dandy to me, with very good portions and a catchy song at the end. But it still gives me the ultimate thought that "wow, that Tubular Bells is one heck of an amazing album!".

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 01 2008, 14:42

Wow. You seem moved by this album. Upset, yet moved. I love it. Keep in mind it was recorded in 1975, with the technological constraints thereof....but a very HQ recording of that time, one of the best. I love it from start to finish. Just my 2 cents worth....
Jimbo

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 02 2008, 06:29

[quote=Sir Mustapha,April 01 2008, 11:41][/quote]
(before we go on, please, spare the sexual analogies if you don't want to be scared further)

See now that`s a shame because I had a whole range of childish jokes lined up involving Revolver,Tantric sex and the track Tomorrow Never Knows.Well ok I did`nt really it just came to there just now while I was trying my utmost not to think about it.I apologise Sir M.I`m not shocked,scared,mystified or knocked sideways at all really.Although I was somewhat curious at to why you did`nt like it.

but no matter what, I don't get the first part of it.

I think the clue is in the title of the album for me.You know Mike has always maintained that Ommadawn is just some nonsense word made up by a backing singer or something.And after Mike`s kind of glorious failure with the whole "pastoral" type concept of Hergest Ridge I can see why he maybe wanted to perpetuate that.But Ommadawn to me is the first real piece where I thought that Mike was asking questions of himself.It`s an uncertain and slightly dark and brooding introduction to the main theme of the album.I see it as a forewarning myself of some kind of self realisation that something`s got to give or change here.But at this point in time were not quite sure what exactly?

The melodies through its initial and middle portions are all very good,

Imo with the exception of some sections of Hergest Ridge they are the strongest and most well thought out melodies Mike has ever come up with.Everytime I listen to this section I`m taken through a whole range of emotions and images I can`t possibly begin to describe here or I`d be on all day.I may be a million miles off the mark here but I always get the feeling Mike is digging deep into his childhood and adolescence during this section.And I think the kind of "pointless climaxes" as you see it Sir M is Mike attempting to draw lines under events/emotions and all their many conatations and self effects.It`s like introspection overdrive in there and he knows deep down inside there`s no way out.We`ve got to go back to the main theme again,he decides there`s no getting away from it.He does it in an almost self resigned way at first I feel.But this time it`s with a renewed sense of self purpose.

To me the climax of Ommadawn is a warning cry of something of immense significance about to take place.Wether that something is good or bad were not quite made aware of.But one thing`s made quite sure imo.And that is you better be damn bloody ready for it because it`s coming in all guns blazing and it`s taking no prisoners into the bargain.Drums bass and acoustic guitar are gloriouslly incessant while the singers chant their pre-dawn chorus of impending change.The overhead guitar always appears to me like a flashing beacon or code re-iterating it`s intent.And yet somehow turning in on itself at the same time as it fights to stay above it all.

that when it's GOING to burst, it steps back inside a coffin and stays there before a muffled "thummm" and all things go quiet.

This is the ultimate pay off of Mike`s self realistaion for me and it gets me every time.It`s like suddenlly whoosh the carpets gone from under your feet and you`ve stepped outside of yourself for a moment.For just a few seconds in fact the whole thing`s over in an instant.And it`s only in this section that the guitar finally reaches any kind of conclusion at all.It`s like he can see himself there,fighting with himself to get out.Like he`s decided to move the whole picture to arm`s length so he can take a better look at it,and see it for what it really is.Like a great exhilarating moment where all becomes apparent to ourselves briefly.We can`t quite put it into words,or maybe convey exactly how it feels.But gosh and darn it Mike Oldfield somehow put it all to music,pure genius imo...And then the drummers carry on...And life goes on..

Obviously that`s really just my own personal take on it ,and it probablly says as much about myself as it does about Mike Oldfield.I think I also can`t help my own opinions being slightly coloured by a knowledge of Mike`s own personal history himself.There`s no getting away from that I guess.That said when I first heard this album way back in about 1980 I was completely blown away by it.Even though I was quite aware of it`s own production defcincies as early as then as well.I still think it`s stood the test of time pretty damn well though.Love it to bits.  :)
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 02 2008, 08:51

I've said in the past that I didn't understand the fuss surrounding this album, but I've grown to like it a lot more over the last year or so. Still, neither part is perfect; both parts have some wonderful moments, along with sections I don't really care for. The pipes section on Part Two is of course truely beautiful, but I have to mark that side down due to the HUGE fuzzy distorted intro that I've never been able to enjoy. I'll go with Part One as my favourite due to the big climax (sorry Sir M!). It's long been one of my favourites.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 02 2008, 14:43

In anwser to Dirk Star's comment about the Pipe section on side two there's little dispute that it was actually written at that point.If you can get a copy of the 2 cd edition of Sallyangie's Children Of The Sun there's additional acoustic guitar improvs by Mike on his own.A peice called A Sad Song Called Rosie is in fact the pipe and guitar tune played on solo guitar.Also in Paddy's bography Paddy is quoted as saying the peice was written out for him when he arrived.Phil Newell's comments in the Boxed booklet may be a little,dare we say,rose tinted(no pun intended as the peice existed 7 years previously.
 All of which does nothing to detract from  fantastic peice though.My Grandad was Irish and when he passed away a couple of years ago a cried my eyes out to this bit!!!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 02 2008, 14:44

Oops....i meant it's called A Sad Song For Rosie.Sorry.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 03:13

Quote (The Caveman @ April 02 2008, 14:43)
In anwser to Dirk Star's comment about the Pipe section on side two there's little dispute that it was actually written at that point.If you can get a copy of the 2 cd edition of Sallyangie's Children Of The Sun there's additional acoustic guitar improvs by Mike on his own.A peice called A Sad Song Called Rosie is in fact the pipe and guitar tune played on solo guitar.Also in Paddy's bography Paddy is quoted as saying the peice was written out for him when he arrived.Phil Newell's comments in the Boxed booklet may be a little,dare we say,rose tinted(no pun intended as the peice existed 7 years previously.
 All of which does nothing to detract from  fantastic peice though.My Grandad was Irish and when he passed away a couple of years ago a cried my eyes out to this bit!!!

Thanks for that one caveman I was`nt aware of that.Only own a copy of the single disc Sallyangie album here.I have been tempted to fork out a few extra quid for the double one, when I`ve stumbled accross it in record shops from time to time.I think you may have just swayed me into doing that next time.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: June 08 2008, 02:52

Oh man - my own poll and I want to change my vote  :O

After numerous listens I now find I prefer Part 2.
Profile PM 
13 replies since Mar. 31 2008, 06:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net