Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Help for finding every non-album songs< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Drealm Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 26 2010, 11:39

Years ago, I tried to find every songs Mike ever did that were not on official albums. I'm talking about new songs; I mean not remixes, or demo or extracts or live. Just songs that were not on albums.

Here I have the full list of all the songs I found.

I would really appreciate if someone could tell me if I missed a song.

For example, recently I discovered that there was Cook's Tune that I never heard about, and the last was Aleluya. Thanks to this forum for talking about them!

So, here is my list. If something is missing, please tell me so:

1. William Tell Overture
2. Cuckoo Song
3. In Dulci Jubilo
4. Portsmouth
5. Jungle Gardenia
6. Guilty
7. Blue Peter
8. Waldberg (the peak)
9. Mistake
10. Crime of Passion
11. Pictures in the Dark
12. Shine
13. Song for survival
14. Cook's Tune
15. Aleluya
16. Excalibur
17. Lakme (fruity loop)
18. Pres de Toi
19. X-Files Theme
20. Don Alfonso (german and english versions)
21. Vivaldi concerto in C
22. The song of the boat men
23. Bones
24. Froggy went a courting
25. In the Pool
26. Ode to joy
27. Afghan
28. Day of the percheron
29. Legend
30. Mike's Reel
31. The Spectral Army
32. The Rio Grande
33. The Phaeacian Games
34. Pipe Tune
35. Argiers
36. The Path
37. Indian Lake
38. Polka
39. Rite of Man
40. Drunk Hornpipe
41. Early Stages (of tubular bells 2)
42. Music for the video Wall
43. The Trap
44. False start
45. Wrekorder Wrondo
46. Silent Night
47. Darkroom (from the killing fields)
48. Royal Wedding Anthem

I have also some collaborations, but I don't consider them fully Mike (still, I'm not sure they are in fact collaborations, but I think so):

1. Speak
2. Passed you by
3. Sad sing
4. Alright Now
5. Dance of the Daonhe Sidhe
6. First Excursion
7. Instructions for Angels
8. Extract from Star's End

So, if someone notice something is missing please tell me. But please do not include collaborations, because it can become huge if we included every song Mike ever played in.

So I just search for songs from him that I maybe missed, simply.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 26 2010, 16:30

I don't see "Mike Oldfields single - theme from tubular bells" on your list?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 26 2010, 21:02

"William Tell Overture" is hardly a "song"! It's ridiculous the way this word is being used as a generic term for any piece of music.
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: June 27 2010, 09:13

I was not aware of this Mike Oldfied's single. But that the same as tubular bells, just different way to do it. Thanks!

Nightspore, just give me the right word for any piece of music.
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: June 27 2010, 13:58

Well, I miss two things from your first list:

If you mention 'Dark Room' from The Killing Fields session, you can also mention other, less known movie extracts called informally as 'Leaving French Ambassy' and 'Pran's Last Night'.

Then there's the 'Sutton Hoo' soundtrack.

I'm not sure if this information is relevant for you, but I also think the list of tracks might have a bit more consistency as the following tracks were also collaborately written (or were written by someone else):

'False Start': Even though this track sounds like a Mike track, AFAIK it is credited as written by Pekka Pohjola (maybe heavily inspired by Jon Lord's 'Caprice', but that's another topic) which Mike collaborated on.

'Day of the Percherons': AFAIK Mike only played on the demo version of this track which was most likely written by Tom Newman, but it's definitely a collaboration.

'The Phaeacian Games' and 'The Rio Grande': In theory, these are collaborations with David Bedford, they were also released as part of David Bedford's albums besides (or even before) appearing on Boxed.

You mention that you don't want to include tracks which were only played live but 'Royal Wedding Anthem' was only played live, as well as 'Polka'. If we also consider tracks like this, Mike's version of 'Radetzky Marsch', 'An der schönen blauen Donau', 'Blaydon Races' and 'Fanny Planxty Power' could also be on the list (though the latter one might be included in the collaboration list), and there was a weird, psychedelic 'Adlib Intermezzo' in some of the 1982 concerts. So if you haven't heard them, they could be interesting for you.

And there are two more doubtful items, which might be interested for you if you don't know them: 'Tubular Chimes' which is a 15 second intro for The Wind Chimes video and 'Jam Intro To Later...' which is a nearly one minute long variation on FatC played live for the show Later... with Jools Holland.

And of course, there is the 'Aircraft Noise' from some Tubular Bells LP's. ;)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 07:01

Oh, there is another track missing. 'Spheres', the early version of Music of the Spheres which was released as a digital-only single.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Drealm Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 09:09

Hey, thanks Eeton! Sure I will check all you said with care!

And when I say I don't want live, I talk about albums songs played live. Of course, if a new song from Mike is only available live, I will definitely want it! My goal is just not having the same song twice, that's all. So polka is part of my list of course.
Profile PM 
6 replies since June 26 2010, 11:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net