Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: HELP!, ouch pain!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Silver Negus Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 18 2009, 12:35

My wisdom teeth are killing me and Ive been told that the bottom right might need to be taken out.  Paracetamol is not working so have to put up with the pain and am trying to ignore the discomfort.  Allergic to anti biotics which I ve been given for the infection. Any ideas for alternative remedies or any advice.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 18 2009, 15:38

ouch. poor you!

can you take ibuprofen?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2009, 15:54

Quote (Matt @ Mar. 18 2009, 15:38)
ouch. poor you!

can you take ibuprofen?

No allergic to that too!  God help me I don't do anything by halves do I  :D
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2009, 16:00

Talk your dentist into removing it pronto! If it hurts that bad you definately should.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2009, 16:50

Quote (larstangmark @ Mar. 18 2009, 21:00)
Talk your dentist into removing it pronto! If it hurts that bad you definately should.

Agreed. I'm sure removing the tooth won't remove the wisdom!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2009, 20:38

I really feel for you cause it happened to me, go to your pharmacist and ask for oil of cloves, dab it on to relieve the pain and ring the dentist, hope you are well soon, deb
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2009, 21:54

Oil of cloves is actually used very extensively in dental procedures, even in root canal to help prevent infection as well as for pain. I'd check with your dentist before using even that, though, as it can hurt your kidneys if you get too much (e.g., if you accidentally swallow a bunch of it--several drops). Sounds like you'll need to be in touch with your dentist asap and get that bugger taken care of.  Around here, there is a dental specialty for everything....endodontists, prostodontists, oral surgeons....makes the mind as numb as a tooth on novocaine just thinking about it. /-: I am facing a tooth extraction and an implant and am absolutely horrified at the prospect.  Just remember--in geologic terms, it doesn't take long at all (that's what I tell myself, anyway). <-: And take some of Mike's music along--something peaceful--probably not Amarok. :D

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2009, 13:41

Quote (Inkanta @ Mar. 18 2009, 21:54)
Oil of cloves is actually used very extensively in dental procedures, even in root canal to help prevent infection as well as for pain. I'd check with your dentist before using even that, though, as it can hurt your kidneys if you get too much (e.g., if you accidentally swallow a bunch of it--several drops). Sounds like you'll need to be in touch with your dentist asap and get that bugger taken care of.  Around here, there is a dental specialty for everything....endodontists, prostodontists, oral surgeons....makes the mind as numb as a tooth on novocaine just thinking about it. /-: I am facing a tooth extraction and an implant and am absolutely horrified at the prospect.  Just remember--in geologic terms, it doesn't take long at all (that's what I tell myself, anyway). <-: And take some of Mike's music along--something peaceful--probably not Amarok. :D

Thanks everyone, the dentist reffered me to the hospital anyway. Might have to have the bottom -right out.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2009, 18:48

Quote (ex member 419 @ Mar. 19 2009, 00:38)
I really feel for you cause it happened to me, go to your pharmacist and ask for oil of cloves, dab it on to relieve the pain and ring the dentist, hope you are well soon, deb

Clove oil errrrggghhhh!!!! I've found Corsodyl mouthwash really good, (tip get the mint one the original is BLEEEERRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!;) and also Bonjela, the only thing is I could end up putting lots of that on, but it works, failing that neat rum as the alcohol cures the pain.   Oh yes I can tell you quite a bit about dentistry, well wisdom tooth pain, had all four out, and also surgery to cut back overgrown gums which would swell up and be painful.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: June 02 2009, 07:06

I kind of have this problem sorted now and am scheduled to have surgery to get all four wisdom teeth out in July. -But, I'm really nervous about it.  My mum and grandfather suffered badly after getting their wisdom teeth out so I guess there may be a chance I'll have problems too.  I have to stay in hospital overnight so they can monitor the progress and the tracheostomy.

Also I'm discussing with the E.N.T consultant about getting surgery on my vocal cords at some point in my life. It's been long discussed throughout my life. They think that they can move the right vocal cord further to create a bigger airway, the only thing is, I will lose my voice quality and I will have a wispery voice.  Although I've tried hard not to consider this surgery, I can't see me coping with the detrimental affects of the tracheostomy tube all my life.  sometimes I don't stop coughing and its causing other problems like digestive problems and infections.

I said to the consultant that whatever option I choose it seems to be a choice between two options that both have downsides.  I wish I could just have a new voice box altogether  :/
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 02 2009, 07:48

My grandad had a temporary tracheostomy and his voice quality was affected when he had the tube removed. So I am familiar with that wispery quality that you talk about. I never really thought about it though when I was around him -and I used to see him pretty regular. He was just a great fella and I thought the world of him. Don't let the wisperyness put you off too much - I personally think it sounds pretty cool.      :cool:

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: June 02 2009, 07:59

Quote (wiga @ June 02 2009, 07:48)
My grandad had a temporary tracheostomy and his voice quality was affected when he had the tube removed. So I am familiar with that wispery quality that you talk about. I never really thought about it though when I was around him -and I used to see him pretty regular. He was just a great fella and I thought the world of him. Don't let the wisperyness put you off too much - I personally think it sounds pretty cool.      :cool:

I suppose but having the surgery to the vocal cords would mean I would be permanantly like that, not just with taking the tracheostomy tube out.  I can speak okay with the tracheostomy tube out, I just need to take larger breaths to project my voice.  Why did your grandad get a tracheostomy?  Does he have it reversed now?

Some doctors told me that tracheostomy is not a good option for me for the long term because as we get older the vocal cords narrow naturally and a tracheostomy also narrows the airway so some people think that getting the surgery on the cords is a better long term option.

Other doctors are saying that they don't think it is a good option to remove the tracheostomy at all and this I find confusing since how can other people get a tracheostomy removed yet not a good option for me?

Who knows i'll just have to have a big think about it.

I'm quite confused actually as all my life doctors thought that my vocal cords were completely paralysed and that the epiglottis was too small and the vocal cords cartlidge and muscles were too weak.  Then another doctor clamied that one of my cords was moving slightly.  Recently another doctor claimed that none of the cords were moving.  Then last week a different doctor claimed that in actuall fact BOTH my cords were moving slighly and that in his opinion I had a normal size epiglottis.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 02 2009, 08:29

He had a bad car accident - and I think the tracheostomy was to save his life - initially. Then he had surgery and when the tracheotomy was reversed he had a permanant wispery voice. I don't remember his voice any other way.

Sounds like you've had some contradicting advice there - but that's good news from your recent doctor! Surgery techniques these days will be much more advanced as well, - a long term tracheostomy doesn't sound ideal does it.

A wispery voice it is then.   :D

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: June 02 2009, 09:01

Quote (wiga @ June 02 2009, 08:29)
He had a bad car accident - and I think the tracheostomy was to save his life - initially. Then he had surgery and when the tracheotomy was reversed he had a permanant wispery voice. I don't remember his voice any other way.

Sounds like you've had some contradicting advice there - but that's good news from your recent doctor! Surgey techniques these days will be much more advanced as well, - a long term tracheostomy doesn't sound ideal does it.

A wispery voice it is then.   :D

If it was done to save his life then I suppose it was the only option. Hope he's ok now.  A car accident I guess it would have been a very traumatic event.

To be honest I think they should have just done the vocal cord surgery when I was a baby or the times where I nearly died instead of speculating whether to do the surgery.

I got the tracheostomy due to doctor's fears about the Vocal Cord Palsy whilst I was pregnant not beacuse I was at death's door with my illness.  I think although they worried about my breathing they should  not have given me the trach since I was having a ceasarian anyway and so did not have to use my breath to push to give birth naturally.

Tracheostomy isnt a good option.  I think you're right Wiga, they should have done the surgery to move the vocal cord instead.  

About the wispery voice thing.  The doctors tell me I'll be 'left with a sexy voice'.  Work some magic then.  Ha Ha!
  :laugh:
Profile PM 
13 replies since Mar. 18 2009, 12:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net