Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hello everyone!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
the Somme Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 09 2008, 21:45

Hi to all.

Just found this great place. I'm a fan of MO of many years, and a keen amateur(ish!;) musician. My band (the Somme) is really just me, my guitar, my computer and the huge space above and beyond.

I'm in SW Scotland. I'm right naive, but happy.

--------------
on this station you will hear gospel and rhythm and blues and jazz. all those are just labels. we know that music is music
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2008, 04:38

Hello...

I went to Scotland, near Aberdeen, last June to see one of Mike's greatest fan. He often write on this forum.

I am in love with Scotland now. The most beautiful country besides Switzerland.

Hey Ray, there are two fans in your country now

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2008, 05:16

Quote (yanouch65 @ Nov. 10 2008, 09:38)
Hello...

I went to Scotland, near Aberdeen, last June to see one of Mike's greatest fan. He often write on this forum.

I am in love with Scotland now. The most beautiful country besides Switzerland.

Hey Ray, there are two fans in your country now

That makes one more than in Switzerland then   :D  :D

Actually there are more - Timshen is one.  And there was another - I cant remember his handle-thing-name.

The Somme - interesting choice of name, my grandad was there, not a nice place at the time.  I think Paschendale would be a better MO sounding name but just as nasty a place.

Welcome - where are you actually - Largs???

Cheer Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2008, 05:28

Quote (yanouch65 @ Nov. 10 2008, 09:38)
The most beautiful country besides Switzerland.

Oopps - you almost got that one past me.....

Scotland is not 'beside' Switzerland, that would be France.  Please don't confuse us with the French.  We make Whisky not Garlic.

So that makes Scotland nicer than Switzerland - i.e, purely because it does not have the French as Neighbours --  Damn I forgot about those other folk - Englishers.  Oh well!!

You have heard the saying : when god made Scotland all the angels complained and said that is not fair!  You have given this tiny little country all the best poets, scientists and engineers, the best countryside, nicest water, all those castles and lochs, Deer, Grouse, Fish - what about sharing all this with the other countries you have made.

God said : Yes I did think of that, but just wait and see who they are getting for Neighbours.  I needed to make up for that somehow.

PS - This is written in a light hearted manner and is really in the spirit of entent cordial - so please don't get angry if you are French.  After all you started it at Agincor.

:D  :D  :D

Ray (himself a mixture of Welsh and Scottish and a tiny bit of english)

--------------
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2008, 05:40

Quote (Ray @ Nov. 10 2008, 11:28)
 Please don't confuse us with the French.  

Hey Ray...
Do the same. Dont' confuse the Swiss with the French!

:D

--------------

Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2008, 05:42

Quote (yanouch65 @ Nov. 10 2008, 10:40)
Quote (Ray @ Nov. 10 2008, 11:28)
 Please don't confuse us with the French.  

Hey Ray...
Do the same. Dont' confuse the Swiss with the French!

:D

I'm not - we all know you have holes in YOUR Cheese!

R  :D  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2008, 06:47

Hello there,The Somme...S.W. Scotland is a great part of the country,often overlooked for The Highlands.The Gallaway Park and Solway coast,and then down the Ayrshire coastline as well,are all great places to visit.It`s also great for me living in N.E. England,because it does`nt take as long for me to get there.And I prefer it to The Lake District because it`s a damn site quieter tourist wise that`s for sure.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 10 2008, 07:33

Quote (Ray @ Nov. 10 2008, 10:42)

Cheese! Yum.

Hi there Somme, welcome to TB.net. I'm also Scotland (Lothians) and I know there are occasionally a few others around (glasgow_tubular, where are you?).

Agree SW Scotland has some very nice areas to visit. Had a camping trip to Brighouse Bay last year, lovely area.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2008, 07:55

Quote (Matt @ Nov. 10 2008, 12:33)
Quote (Ray @ Nov. 10 2008, 10:42)

Cheese! Yum.

Hi there Somme, welcome to TB.net. I'm also Scotland (Lothians) and I know there are occasionally a few others around (glasgow_tubular, where are you?).

Agree SW Scotland has some very nice areas to visit. Had a camping trip to Brighouse Bay last year, lovely area.

Hey Matt I was just along the road from you during the summer at Seaward.Enjoyed the week,even though the weather was pretty terrible.I was there for the Tatoo at Kircudbright which was quite entertaining.I wanted to go during the wickerman festival week,but I could`nt get the time off work.
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2008, 08:36

mmmh that makes a lot of comments against french....
not to defend my case but :
- i did not get the point about garlic.
- do u to where Mary queen of the scots wanted to escape and retire ? -> to France. That was very sensible of her. As we all know (as every MO fan should know), she did not get there
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2008, 08:39

Anyway, welcome to the Somme
Profile PM 
the Somme Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2008, 22:23

Cheers all.

I'm absolutely not in Largs. The town I live in is the same county. (but an entirely different world. We don't have a yacht marina or Rotary Club)

Robert Burns lived and worked here in 1781. It is the home town of Eddie Reader (pop singer, Fairground Attraction), and football players Kris Boyd and Stevie Nichol.

Briefly home to Edgar Allan Poe, also.

Go for it, Google sleuths!

--------------
on this station you will hear gospel and rhythm and blues and jazz. all those are just labels. we know that music is music
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2008, 02:41

Quote (the Somme @ Nov. 11 2008, 03:23)

I'm absolutely not in Largs.

:laugh: I take it your from Irvine then? I`m a big fan of Eddie Reader so that was the big giveaway for me.I tell you what though that Robbie Burns fella` got about a bit did`nt he?Would it not be easier to name all the places in S.W. Scotland where he did`nt live at some point?   ;)
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2008, 05:09

Quote (nushky @ Nov. 10 2008, 13:36)
- do u to where Mary queen of the scots wanted to escape and retire ? -> to France. That was very sensible of her. As we all know (as every MO fan should know), she did not get there.

Only Joking of course..... I was just having a bit of fun with Yanooch!  Who is really French  - but keeps trying to convince everyone he is swiss just coz he was born there (:P)

Garlic - complicated humour there - just leave that one.
Mary Queen of Scotts - Well, being half french, i'm not that supprised she opted for France.  (Saved By The Bell - Oh well - actually not in her case)

France is great.  We go skiing to Les Houche alot.  Although we were nearly banned last season as my daughter Erika won the local French interclub ski race!!  Ooops.  

Alot of streets in Aberdeen are french names from times when Scotland did trade with France - like  - you give us lots of Bordeaux and we'll fight the english for you!   Bon Accord Terrace for example.

Ray  :cool:

Sitting in Japan - along way from France .... and Scotland!

--------------
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2008, 05:18

Quote (Ray @ Nov. 11 2008, 11:09)
I was just having a bit of fun with Yanooch!  Who is really French  - but keeps trying to convince everyone he is swiss just coz he was born there (:P)

Hey Ray....

To be French for a Swiss is like to be English for a Scottish!

--------------

Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 11 2008, 10:53

OK, Irvine isn't exactly close to Brighouse Bay! Does have some nice bits around as well I suppose, I've been to Eglinton park a few times. Never unfortunately made it to the Big Idea before it closed. Anything else going for it? I remember passing a really big swimming pool complex or is that clutching at straws!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2008, 20:21

Welcome on board Matt and happy surfing, you are amongst friends here have fun

Tubular Twerp
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2008, 06:49

Welcome aboard mate.

In Oz here but had a great family holiday in Scotland last year.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2008, 17:55

Quote (Ray @ Nov. 10 2008, 09:16)
The Somme - interesting choice of name, my grandad was there, not a nice place at the time.  I think Paschendale would be a better MO sounding name but just as nasty a place.

Welcome - where are you actually - Largs???

Cheer Ray

HI The Somme, welcome to Tubularnet

:)  :D .

Yes I agree with Ray, Pachendale does sound quite Mike-ish, Paschendale I also think of Iron Maidenas Paschendale is a song off of their "Dance Of Death " album.
I agree they must both be as nasty as each other really.

I know my Great Great Uncle was killed aged 21 at Ypres, and another one has a grave in Bethune cemetery in France. MY Great Grandad died aged 46 in 1922, I know he suffered from shell shock , now called PTSD.

I think it's disgraceful the way this treacherous government sends our servicemen and women into Iraq and Afghanistan without proper equipment, and to be killed or injured.  I thought that service personnel joined to fight for Queen/King and Country, and not on the whim of the PM.

Sorry for the rant but it's something I feel passionately strongly about.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
18 replies since Nov. 09 2008, 21:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net