[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hello all!, a member from Singapore< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Avariel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 15 2008, 14:02

Hi all.

Avariel here, from Singapore.

I discovered Mike Oldfield's music through a strange combination which includes Youtube and Wikipedia. Wikipedia's role was that it linked me to the page for the QE2 album through the page about the ship, QE2. Youtube introduced me to more music by Mike Oldfield and I got addicted. And desperately wanted albums. At first I resorted to iTunes but that was expensive. And recently have been stepping into almost every single music store I pass in search of more CDs.

--------------
PIE = Pan Island Expressway
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2008, 14:17

Well.......you have come to the RIGHT place! There is a wealth of Mike Oldfield music here and related trivia, stories, facts, fiction, fun......mostly FUN! Welcome!
Jimbo

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2008, 14:17

Hello and welcome, Avariel. So, you were researching the QE2 ship and that led you to Mike Oldfield? It is strange how it seems that, outside of Europe, MO is a hidden treasure. I'm happy for your discovery. Which albums do you have?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Avariel Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2008, 14:27

Scatterplot: Thanks for the welcome. The forums seem massive. *is thankful her classes has not started and she can spend many hours on the forums*

Sweetpea: Thanks for the welcome. Well actually I am somewhat of a self-confessed ship geek which was why I was researching the QE2 ship. I'm not too sure about how popular/well known MO is in my country. I do have some albums, some bought from iTunes, some from my trip to Australia and some bought locally.

The albums I have are: QE2, Tr3sLunas, Music of the Spheres, Light + Shade, Elements, The Millennium Bell, The Songs of Distant Earth, Earth Moving and The Essential Mike Oldfield on CD. And from iTunes I have The Best of Tubular Bells, Tubular Bells (25th Anniversary), Five Miles Out and Boxed.

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2008, 14:55

Well, you've got to get Hergest Ridge and the version worth having is here on the Hergest Ridge forum. Ommadawn is a must and there is a great variety of it's versions here too. Look around and you will find a lot of music.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 15 2008, 15:48

With Mike Oldfield, I think it's wise to work the albums slowly and manage to place them within a context, to see exactly the evolution from one to the other and how they fit into an overall picture. It's quite fun - his discography makes a whole lot of sense, which might not seem true if you gather scattered albums and such. Of the omissions in your collection, the most gaping I can spot are Incantations, Amarok, Platinum and Crises. The first two are some of his most massive, dense, almost-totally-instrumental works every, while the latter two showcase some of the more lighthearted, easier to get into aspect of his music, as well as a few pop oriented compositions. Several here will advise you to get the Tubular Bells 'sequels', but I have nothing good to say about them so don't inquire me unless you want to hear what a disappointed fan sounds like. ;)

P.S.: Welcome! :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2008, 16:08

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 15 2008, 15:48)
Several here will advise you to get the Tubular Bells 'sequels', but I have nothing good to say about them so don't inquire me unless you want to hear what a disappointed fan sounds like. ;)

:p @ Sir M

I suggest next Tubular Bells II, Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge, Incantations, Voyager, Amarok, Tubular Bells III, and Guitars. In that order. See, this is what we live for, here. Hehe.

(Though Sir M probably has a point about chronology.)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Avariel Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2008, 16:26

Quote (Sweetpea @ Sep. 16 2008, 00:08)
Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 15 2008, 15:48)
Several here will advise you to get the Tubular Bells 'sequels', but I have nothing good to say about them so don't inquire me unless you want to hear what a disappointed fan sounds like. ;)

:p @ Sir M

I suggest next Tubular Bells II, Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge, Incantations, Voyager, Amarok, Tubular Bells III, and Guitars. In that order. See, this is what we live for, here. Hehe.

(Though Sir M probably has a point about chronology.)

*makes note to get the CDs and in the order listed*

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2008, 03:41

Oh dear. I hope my advice hasn't backfired. I can just imagine Sir M now with an 'I told you so!'.

--------------
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2008, 04:47

What a nice way to discover MO! Welcome, Avariel!

Quote (Sweetpea @ Sep. 15 2008, 22:08)

But if she's got Boxed, she already has Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge! (Personally, I'm with Sir Mustapha on the suggestions, but I guess we already gave too many of them anyway! :) )
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2008, 13:00

Quote (Avariel @ Sep. 15 2008, 19:02)
Hi all.

Avariel here, from Singapore.

Greetings.

I'll be in Singapore in November - you can borrow my IPod for a week to listen to every track MO has made and some he hasn't made yet  ;)

Cheers

Ray  :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2008, 06:51

Welcome aboard - visited Singapore for the first time on the way back from holiday in Europe last year - had a great time feeding the orangs at the zoo.
Profile PM 
11 replies since Sep. 15 2008, 14:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net