Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: heatth warning, suggestions why?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
galuhen Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 21 2003, 21:33

i was latky wondering who put the health warning on amarok. was this a step by virgin or just a little joke by oldfield, or could it be a serious warning?
Profile PM 
Down Under Offline

Posted: May 21 2003, 22:18

Surely it's a joke.  I've always treated it that way. ;)
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 22 2003, 09:14

Imagine this situation:

You're listening Amarok for the first time, and you're listening it with headphones. You notice a soft, pleasant sound, flowing around there. You put the volume up, because you want to here more of the beauty of it, and then suddenly "ta tatata tatata"... ear damage.
And to prevent you from sueing him, mike adds a health warning at the cover.

Don't know if this is true, but it makes sense to me.

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 22 2003, 12:59

It was to have a go at the critics who don't understand Mike's music, that together with the brilliant little fairy tale (why was this left off the remastered version????????????) made a stab at the sort of critics who come to Mike's music with their knives drawn so to speak and attack him no matter what. The line 'you either hear it or you don't sums it all up pretty well I think.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 22 2003, 21:00

The whole album was partly him having a go at the 'cloth eared' executives at Virgin who didn't appreciate his music (and of course, the rest of the cloth eared people in the music press and so forth, like Toby says).

The message also harks back to Tubular Bells, with its warning about old tin boxes.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 23 2003, 11:16

Yeah, when I bought Amarok for the first time, I played it in the car while my mom was driving. She scared the hell out of it with those "Tatata..." ;)

By the way,  I never understood those tin boxes warning? Is this just another joke? Because TB sounds so good you musn't play it on old tin boxes?

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: May 23 2003, 17:47

I thought it meant u couldnt smoke it??

(for sure : )
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: June 03 2003, 08:42

What is an old tin box, anyway? A lousy LP player?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Bones Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2004, 14:54

An "Old Tin Box"  is a custom built record player made out of anything people can find.  Its an illegal method of playing records.  The health warning was put on all sorts of albums.

don't hold me to that though, im occasionally wrong.

--------------
Amarokin' All Over the World

"Music is at its best when listened to in the dark"
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 07 2004, 09:27

A clockwork one - otherwise known as a wind up...
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2004, 16:19

Like, gramophones??... Wow, very old tin boxes, then. Meh, people just can't appreciate the beauty of shellac albums. :D

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2004, 17:20

The first time I saw this warning I thought it was a serious warning because I couldn't understand the meaning of "cloth-eared nincompoops" :D (I'm not an english speaker). I tried to find in a medicine dictionary what illnesswas and why a record could be hazardous for those people (I imagined it would be something about the frequencies used on the record :O ). I found nothing. Finally I tried in my bilingual dictionary sure that the result it would be the same but... amazingly I found both words, and once I had the full meaning of the sentence it became clear to me that it was a joke and a criticism to those who doesn't understand Mike's music (specially long instrumentals) as TOBY and Korgscrew have said  ;)
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2004, 17:39

just out of interest, what is this message about 'tin boxes' that's found on the back of TB? I have the original CDV2001 version and all mine says is "Can be played on mono record players at a pinch" (or something similar)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2004, 18:49

The tin boxes message on CDV2001 is on the back cover of the booklet, bottom left side, right into the sea. It's very unclear but it's there. :) The full text is equal to the one in the TB 2003 booklet except for the underlined 'still'. I think Korgscrew got it right, about its meaning - it refers to gramophones, and I agree with Blue Dolphin about it being a joke. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
13 replies since May 21 2003, 21:33 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net