Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: He losts it ? YES< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
GMOVJ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 10 1999, 11:03

Bon alors en Français parceque cela suffit...

Oui, a mon humble avis, il l'a perdu. Quoi donc ? L'inspiration. Et sans inspiration, pas d'album correct. En tant que 'fan' de longue date de Mike Oldfield, je pense qu'il n'est plus inspiré du tout, et qu'il se contente de faire de l'argent sur notre dos en mettant le mot 'Bell' un peu partout et en faisant des petites musiquettes qui ne lui prennent pas trop de temps.
C'est quoi le suivant? "2001, A Bell Odissey" ? "Bell des Champs" ? "Memphis Bell" ?.
Oui je suis en colere. Oui cela m'enerve. J'aurais certainement prefere pas d'albun cette annee du tout, et un seul vraiment bon dans trois ans.
Plus serieusement, ou est la recherche musicale dans TMB ? Ou sont les idées originales ? Moi je ne les trouve pas.
Trois note par ci, trois autres par la... Des melodies FACILES, des rythme identiques... bon d'accord deux trois petites surprises...Mais pas de quoi relever le niveau général du disque... Voyager avait au moins un bijoux avec Mt St Michel.

Comme quelqu'un l'a dit dans ce Forum, "si je veux un album d'Enya, j'acheterai un Album d'Enya, si je veux un album de Vangelis, j'acheterai un album de Vangelis, si je veux un album du Rondo-Venezziano (NDLR : dieu m'en preserve...), j'acheterai un album du Rondo..."

Et maintenant des questions ouvertes dont je n'ai pas forcement les reponses :
Comment l'auteur peut-il penser être a son sommet avec un CD pauvre comme celui-ci ? Il ne se souviens pas d'AMAROK ? Vais-je etre oblige de boycotter MO pendant quelque temps comme je l'ai deja fait apres EM jusqu'a ma redecouverte en 92 d'Amarok, bien apres sa sortie ? Les fans sont-il la vache a lait ?
S'il arrete la musique, va-t-il arreter de faire des TMB ou va-t-il renoncer a refaire des Amarok ? Les realite virtuelles made in Mike seront-elles orchestrées comme TMB ou comme Incantations ?

PS : Merci a Olivier pour son site exceptionnel. Et je suis sincere.

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Ketal Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2000, 17:06

Je suis pour le 'Bell des champs' smile
dis, tu pourrais me donner l'adresse du site d'Olivier, plz, parce que moi je l'ai point.. :P

Sorry to others for speaking a little bit french smile
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 04 2000, 17:34

Quoi dire? Tout a fait d'accord.
Je pensais que tous les funs de Mike etaient devenus aveugles. Je ne peut accepter des chansons comme "Doge Palace" ou "Master Mind".
C'est vrai. C'est pauvre, vraiment pauvre.

Please write only in English! I will delete the next message not in English. - Olivier

[This message has been edited by Olivier (edited 01-04-2000).]
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 19 2001, 14:44

Hallo, guys biggrin wink

Delfín

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Vill Offline

Posted: April 21 2001, 17:11

Is anyone willing to translate? Please?
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: April 23 2001, 09:37

Hi all
Hmmmm, this was rude with Mike and TMB, so I don't think I want to translate it now wink, as i changed my mind. And, as it was a reaction, and as I was angry, I write it down in my natural language...

But you can forget this post, this is an aborted topic. And it was exactly the same than plenty of other topics : TML is crap/great etc...

Now I must admit that I like it more than before... There are some good tracks... Maybe Olivier should delete this post...

Cheers, GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 25 2001, 15:48

O.K., GMOVJ, in Spain we say that to rectify is from wise minds...

And we could use this topic for following-up our opinions from The Millennium Bell...

I didn´t have a great reaction when I listened to it neither good or bad, but I walked by the streets of my town with it in my walkman this morning, and I have to say:

It is a GREAT record. A record for open-minded people. I am sure you all that critizise TMB love all those records in which he repeats himself as in TB3... I love it, it´s one of my faves but it was time for Mike to reciclate himself and as we all know...

Endings are just... beginnings...

Oh!! redface sorry!! It was a lapsus... I wanted to say...

There were changes expected. And Mike has made a conceps-based album, that is a big change mostly because it´s a "producer" album like it was from Vangelis or John Williams, not a performer album. Sometimes I think there are albums from Mike that if wasn't because they're his I wouldn't like them or at least I wouldn't have paid the same attention. In this case, I bet many of you felt the opposite. If it was from another one, you would appreciate it more, because you expect the same old guitarist-instrumentalist format. A performer's album.

But my point of view is you have here some of the all-time material from Mike's all-time work. 'Lake Constance' is for me in the group of the most marvellous short instrumentals he ever wrote. 'Doge's Palace' recreates again the fresh, dynamic and inspired feeling of 'Top of the Morning' and 'Amber Light' sounds new and promising and strong and authentic. 'Peace on Earth', what a breathtaking beautiful tune... and its meaning...

Maybe we expect too much... but I thing the only old thing in this CD is on the title... and for all who expect more from the old stuff...

CLANGGG!!!!!!!

The New Millenniumm is here, a new age is dawning!!! wink

Delfín

--------------
Profile PM 
Thomas Andersson Offline

Posted: April 25 2001, 16:31

I've always loved TMB and I never seem to grow bored of it..Broads Sunlin Uplands in my track of preference I think, and I really like the Doge's Palace and Lake Constance aswell. Mike has definately NOT lost his quality or originality, but of course there has been a change of style. I have a feeling Mike does what he wants to do. And that's what I want him to do.

The cover art is darn ugly though... :P
Profile PM WEB 
feverpitch96 Offline

Posted: April 25 2001, 22:45

Hello from Sydney!

It is of course very easy for us to want Mike to go on doing the things he's always done musically, because that is what we have loved for a long time (some of us for a VERY long time...ahem). But naturally enough, as such a sophisticated and interesting musician, Mike clearly wants to move on and do a few new things. As it has always been with all performers, this will gain him some new fans and lose him some old ones. I personally feel we have enough dance beats in the world of the kind found on TMB's title track, both good and bad, but that's just me. I get the feeling Mike is always going to do what he wants to, and more power to him...even if some of us (myself included!) eventually end up one day sighing sadly, forlornly clutching our copies of TB1 or Ommadawn or Incantations and wishing to turn back the clock... smile

That said, there's NO excuse for there being no Macintosh version of the VR project! frown
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: April 26 2001, 08:20

Well, let's make another post

If you want to re-read my past anger wink, you can have a look at Pat's Opinion Page... http://www.toucansolutions.com/oldfield/opinion11.htm#MillenniumBell

Following, this is all IMHO wink

Yes, the fact is that it is more a producer album than a composer album....

- The So and So : if mike didn't lost totally his inspired mind, i must say that this album is not very inspired in main melodies. I found them very simple, with a little lack of complexity, sharpness and talent... But, this may be a goal... so... And music doesn't have to be complex to be beautyful, right.

- The So and So 2 : I specially don't like TMB (the song). But I don't like any other dance track with these DJ and bass&drum concept (boomboomboom)... very boring indeed... maybe i'm too old for this. OK, this is just a question of taste...

- The Bad : some tracks are... well, weak (It's hard to describe without using french slang... 'faiblarde'). The Doge Palace is for me the perfect example : there's some good ideas, but not enough explored. This arpeggio is not bad @ all, but why use it again and again ? And, why using this boomboom dance drum ? That's maybe because I don't *understand* the musical research in this kind of music... I used to have the same feeling with Mastermind, wich I found very deceptive, but now, things are getting better wink It's a pretty good track.

- The Good : some tracks are really beautyful. I should say Great ! Lake Constance, Pacha Mama, SSTC, Amber Light, SBU... Even if melodies are sometimes simple (as said before) they are very beautiful. Same for orchestration and arrangements. The production is in fact very good.

- In the End : In fact, TMB is not in my sens, a great album. I think a lot of people could have make it... I rarely find the MO touch... I don't *love* it - like FMO, Crises, Inc, Discovery, Am. etc - but I *like* it - like EM. I find it inferior, but still highly superior to a lot of thing you can hear by now. Now IMHO, this is a pretty good album wink

And of course, I'm still waiting for a completly new (not a TB sequel wink or Ommadawn 2 or Amarok 2) long instrumental.

Cheers to all
GMOVJ
PS : and hello Mike for visiting this site wink

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 26 2001, 16:15

I feel with the album that maybe some things could have done with a bit more time to develop (I mean time spent working on them, not that the album should have been longer). I know Mike didn't spend a huge amount of time on the album...maybe he wanted it like that, maybe he was forced to...

It would maybe have been nice to have worked a bit more of Mike into it. It feels to me like a couple elements are like some kind of 'Mike Oldfield in a box' thing...the 'typical' guitar sounds amongst something that's not so much him...that's perhaps how he wanted it though.
Somehow I didn't pick up much real life sparkle off the album...but then that's not always easy to get...

In the end, if this was my album, which I'd put my energies into creating it, I'd probably be very pleased with it (though I have to say that, if I'd created it, it wouldn't be like it is...but then, it probably wouldn't even be finished now wink ).
I wonder now if Mike could maybe find new energy and ideas in collaboration - not necessarily in a big way, but just with somebody he can get along with and who he trusts, someone whose working methods fit with his (like with Tom Newman...). I find just somebody's presence can alter what you do musically, even if they're not really 'doing' very much.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 27 2001, 13:05

O.K., O.K., maybe you´re right. It's not strictly a GREAT album, let's take it as a good record. I thing that´s the right way.

--------------
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 08 2002, 03:56

I agree with Delfin, just look at it as a good record,  that mabey is different to his usual style. Mike has not 'lost it' and if you listen to Tres Lunas, and the up and coming remake of Tubualr Bells, you should see that there is still music there.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
12 replies since Dec. 10 1999, 11:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net