Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: HDCDs - Pros and Cons< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sentinel101 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 25 2000, 16:36

I was very lucky as I heard that Mike's back catalogue will be digitally remastered in HDCD quality. As an owner of an HDCD player I especially waited for Amarok.
Perhaps the differences are subtle but for me Amarok sounds richer, more natural in HDCD because its a piece with such a wide range of sound layers and here the 20bit technique does its job very well.

On the other side it seems that Virgin didn't invested much money and care for the package and the booklet. On Crises they simply forgot Foreign Affair. The Killing Fields were produced & engineered by Mike Oldfield except Five Miles Out ...

Compared to other digital releases (i. e. Pink Floyd) it seems a bit like a rushed released just to wrench out some more money out of Mike's records.

But Simon did a great job and the acoustics are more important than the visuals ;-)

Greetings

Michael
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 07 2000, 19:52

Being a bit of a vinyl junkie all of my Virgin Oldfield collection is on vinyl except the odd couple of cassettes. So I’ve never really felt the need to purchase the CD versions of Mike’s classics.
But today while perusing the racks in HMV I happened upon the HDCD of Heavens Open, sporting a big bright red sticker saying £3.99 on it. As I only have the tape version and an indiscriminate tape munching Walkman to play it on. I thought what the hell it’s in my price range and purloined the CD in question.
As I thought things couldn’t get any better I popped in to my local Virgin Megastore. Always on the look for a bargain I spied some rather interesting stickers on their Oldfield CD’s, 3 for £15. My luck was well and truly in. £19 spent and Tubular bells, HR, Ommadawn,and HO all on lovely new HDCD’s who say’s Britain’s a rip off?
My only gripe is that on HO my tape version has lyrics inside the cover, the CD don’t, why?
Sorry if I’ve gone on a bit but I just had to tell someone about my glorious day (I’m sure you’ll all understand).
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 28 2000, 21:12

My original HO CD has the lyrics inside...it seems that things like this may have been lost in an attempt to 'standardise' the packaging of all the albums. What they've done in general doesn't bother me too much, although maybe the sleeve notes and things are a bit carelessly done in places (seems to be on albums I haven't bought that there are problems like that though). They perhaps spent more time creating that funny TB picture I believe you get if you line all the albums up in the right way...

What I've heard of them seems very good though, with things having a nice clarity and depth to them. From listening to HR, I guess it could be argued that it sounds almost too clean, but that would be getting ridiculous...
Profile PM 
chris-grothe Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2000, 08:10

Hi !

When i got my Amarok Remaster, i was pretty shocked, because the short-story by W. Murray wasn't in the booklett

--------------
bye

Chris

Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 02 2000, 16:53

Ah, I was wondering if they'd have included that...

Like so many things these days, it's an example of things being made uniform (in this case so all the albums have the same sleeve-notes format) at the expense of character and individuality (those two things being the reasons why many people like Mike's music, and I feel really that an album's cover, etc, should reflect the album content in some way). Shame really...
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2000, 01:22

I was really annoyed when I finally got Amarok, and, because it was the remastered version, it didn't have the section names that I had heard about on these forums. Is there anything else missing from the booklet? All it has is the Dave Laing intro. (which is wrong, because Amarok isn't 52 minutes long), and the list of instruments. Also, is there anything missing from the Hergest Ridge booklet? All that has (in the HDCD) is the intro. by Mr Laing and the instruments.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
5 replies since Sep. 25 2000, 16:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net