Never heard TSODE or read the book/story. 1  [1.32%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Have you read TSODE?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Dec. 11 2005, 12:26

For those of you who have read the book.....

Thalassa....the name factors into Greek mythology (she was a sea goddess, daughter of Aether and Hemera); it is also apparently the Greek word for "sea." (true?)

Last night I was reading an obituary of Alexander Thom, the great Scottish engineer and professor of engineering at the U of Oxford, who did so much to advance the field of archaeoastronomy, with his research involving the stone circles. It's hard to believe that he has been gone 20 years as of last month! In 1922, Thom's parents built a small cottage on their farm at Dunlop, which overlooked the sea. The name of the cottage was "Thalassa," and the place to which, after a stellar career, Thom retired.

Have any of you ever come across an interview with Clarke during which he discusses the name, "Thalassa?" Due to the nature of the watery world, I'd have assumed he aptly and soley named it from Greek mythology. Now I am curious if there is a Thom connection. Probably just a coincidence. :)

Reading along in the book, I first assumed that "Sagan2" was named after Carl Sagan, but in the novel, we find out that it was named after a romance novelist of the whatever century. That was a wink to Carl, and a bit of a joke between them.

I wonder if Clarke knew Thom (I feel in my heart that they did), if it played any part in the naming of the planet (e.g., "Hmm....one time Thom was explaining to me why his parents named the cottage Thalassa"), and if Clarke knew that Thom had retired to a place called "Thalassa." :D
Probably entirely coincidental, though interesting (well, IMHO! ).

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 11 2007, 10:50

Have never been much of a fan of ACC's works - too sterile & tech and very little soul.

However I haven't read his "..Distant Earth" book which seems to be a radial departure from the norm and seems  to concentrate on character & the human condition, which always appeals to me.

So I will scour the local library and book it out: hope its as good and visionary as the album
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2008, 23:32

I love AAC, but I must confess, "Childhood's End" had me in such a black-ass mood for so many years that I haven't even thought of walking over to the bookshelves for his stuff in ages!  Could TSODE be a tonic for this type of nihilistic malaise?
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 01:40

Quote (Bassman @ Mar. 09 2008, 13:32)
I love AAC, but I must confess, "Childhood's End" had me in such a black-ass mood for so many years that I haven't even thought of walking over to the bookshelves for his stuff in ages!  Could TSODE be a tonic for this type of nihilistic malaise?

I don't remember Childhood's End being that depressing! Songs of Distant Earth certainly has a diferent feel to most of the Arthur C Clarke novels I've read, a certain happyness but a distinct tone of melancholy that perhaps isn't captured in the album so much.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 18:27

Quote (Harmono @ Sep. 15 2005, 15:57)
They say that Clarke is a pedofile.That is bad

I wrote that over two years ago and only today I learn that it was just a completely made up rumour, a real brainstorm by The Sunday Mirror.  

The good thing is that I now feel better about reading his books again, I've had Rendezvous With Rama on the bookshelf for ages, but haven't read it.

TSODE is a really positive, optimistic story, although the events do take place after the Earth has been destroyed due to the Sun exploding.  

I also find most of his short stories very enjoyable.
Profile PM 
Dave in Ledbury Offline

Posted: April 15 2008, 17:43

I read TSODE before Mike recorded his album, having been a fan of Clarke's works since I was a young lad in the early 70's.  I actually read the book whilst on honeymoon in Kalami on Corfu, so reading about events set on a planet predominated by sea ("Thalassa"), whilst being isolated ourselves in a Greek Island paradise, made the events of the book more profound.  I've read it a few times now. It's a great book and if you haven't read it I thoroughly recommend it (and if it's on a Greek island then even better...) :)

--------------
"Dave, I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over...."
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: April 15 2008, 18:02

Did your marriage survive the Honeymoon?

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Dave in Ledbury Offline

Posted: April 21 2008, 11:43

I'm pleased to say the marriage has survived.... :)

--------------
"Dave, I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over...."
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: April 21 2008, 15:11

Good  :D

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 24 2008, 21:10

I've read the short story, but there's a puzzling flaw in it; I have no idea whether it's present in the novel. The flaw is that the spaceship travels at relativistic speeds, and so, via the time dilation effect, a short amount of ship time would correspond to a much greater amount of "outside" time. (Depending on how close to the speed of light you were travelling, two days of ship time might pass while two centuries go by outside.) But this feature, surely, would obviate the need for the crew to go into hibernation - which they have to do for the story to have its dramatic impact. The short story would have been much better if Clarke had had the ship go at non-relativistic speeds. Perhaps he corrected this in the novel; as I say, I don't know.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 24 2008, 21:37

I don't believe it works that way Nightspore. As far as I've read relativistic effects don't actually shorten the time taken for an object to travel. If a planet is 300 light-years away, which I think is about the distance in the novel, a ship travelling at the speed of light will still take 300 years of ship time to reach it. Once they stop travelling, they'll find that 3000 years or so of Earth time has passed. So I don't think there's a problem with the story; hibernation would still be needed to get to anywhere more than a few light-years away.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 24 2008, 23:41

No, it really is that way. It's one of the peculiarities of relativity theory. If I set out for Alpha Centauri, which is 4.3 light years away and I travelled at 99 per cent of the speed of light, my clock on board ship would say that only a couple of days had passed. (This is an estimate; I haven't the time to do the Lorentz calculation.) But to someone watching from a telescope at home, the journey would take somewhat more than 4.3 years. I'm not trying to pull rank, but I have a degree in physics.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 25 2008, 00:26

No, you're more than entitled to pull rank on me! I really didn't know that it worked that way. It's fascinating stuff.

--------------
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2009, 14:31

Quote (Holger @ Jan. 17 2005, 22:23)
Nope, I've read 2001 but nothing else by Clarke. Can't really see myself ever reading it either (I'm sure it's alright but there's so much other stuff I want to get done :)). But then, as always, who knows. I suppose it could give a new perspective on the album... not sure I need one though.

Hehe, that's great... don't remember having written this! I finished reading the book today - so indeed, never say never! :)
Will write down some thoughts about it later on, when I've had time to listen to the album again.
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2009, 14:53

Brilliant book.  Brilliant short story.  Brilliant album.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2009, 20:49

Smillsoid, I've only read the story. One thing that continues to puzzle me about it is that if the spaceship is travelling at relativistic speeds a journey that would take decades of external time would take only months of ship time. But that would mean there would simply be no need for the crew to go into hibernation. If a band like Queen can understand this (with their song "39"), I can't believe that Clarke, science guru that he was, wouldn't as well. Or is there some subtlety I've missed? It's a while since I read the story.
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2009, 01:15

Re-read the book, you might work it out.  

Oh, the genius of Brian May... :laugh:

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2009, 01:45

Quote (smillsoid @ Nov. 04 2009, 01:15)
Re-read the book, you might work it out.  

Oh, the genius of Brian May... :laugh:

Re-read my post - I'm talking about the short story. As for Brian May, he's no mean intellect - he has a doctorate (in astrophysics, I believe).
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2009, 01:56

Yes, just checked: Brian May has a doctorate in astrophysics, and is currently the Chancellor of Liverpool John Moores University. Clarke, by contrast, never even acquired an undergraduate degree.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2009, 04:45

OK, here are some thoughts about the book:

It's been a nice read, I wouldn't exactly say great, but it certainly was enjoyable. However, it is nothing like what I expected! From what the music conveyed to me, I had always assumed that the bulk of the story would be set in space, with maybe some underwater scenes; turns out that in fact, almost none of it is set in space, very little underwater, and most of it on the surface of a - watery, but otherwise very Earth-like - planet. That was quite a surprise.

Has it changed my perception of the music? I don't think so, really. In fact, listening back to the album, I quickly forgot about the book and that it was supposed to have anything to do with it. I really can't say that the music matches the imagery I got from the book - the story isn't really floaty and dreamy like the music at all.
It seems to me that, rather than actually trying to set the book to music, Mike just picked some pieces of inspiration from it that served his purpose in the first place, and ignored the rest. In fact, some of the track titles don't seem to refer to anything that can be found in the book. I don't really think that the album is supposed to be the very music played during the farewell concert in the book either (as has been suggested); while that was certainly an inspiration, and "Lament for Atlantis" obviously refers to it (as well as the b-sides "Song of the Boatmen" and "The Spectral Army"), events like the arrival of Magellan or the discovery of the Sunken Forest take place long after that piece is supposed to have been written.

Speaking of music, I found it quite amusing that Sibelius' Fifth Symphony - well known to be Mike's favourite piece of music - is specifically mentioned as not having made it to the Thalassan archives due to restrictions in storage capacity - in other words, it was not considered important enough to be preserved.

Two thoughts about the album that never occured to me before: firstly, "Oceania" and "The Shining Ones" both sound quite like something out of Amarok; and secondly, throughout the album, the drums are too quiet! I found that really quite frustrating this time around, it takes much power away from the music, even though I understand that it's probably supposed to be like that.

Other than that, my opinion of the album has been confirmed by listening back to it: it's really good, very cleverly written and well-crafted, definitely the best album of this kind that I've heard. Not that I've heard very many, however, because this kind of music just isn't for me, and apart from Mike's output, I never listen to anything of the sort (can't stand Enigma, for example, and haven't been able to get into Deep Forest either).
Profile PM 
41 replies since Jan. 17 2005, 14:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net