Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Have you ever been to Northpoint?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 17:28

http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/story/905193.html

BURGIN — Extensive damage from multiple fires set Friday during rioting at Northpoint Training Center is forcing the transfer of 700 of the prison's 1,200 inmates to other facilities.

"So high is the wire, and the guards won't listen"

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 17:43

:D :laugh: There goes Mike and one of his absolutely best songs IMHO with one of his absolutely worst lyrics IMHO. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 20:08

I think we've had this discussion before, Ugo - but why do you think the lyrics to "Northpoint" are bad?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2009, 04:25

@ nightspore: I know we had, so I'll just limit myself to say that I find them very badly written, and nonsensical in some places.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2009, 08:44

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 26 2009, 04:25)
@ nightspore: I know we had, so I'll just limit myself to say that I find them very badly written, and nonsensical in some places.

I vaguely remember... I seem to recall saying that the lyrics were simply highly metaphorical. In my opinion, the most nonsensical song is "Gimme Back" onHeaven's Open - a foolish ditty to the point of listener-revulsion!

There's good and bad writing scattered throughout Mike's songs. The mixed metaphor on "Hostage of the Heart" ("two burning eyes are tearing you apart") particularly grates on me (no pun intended). Mike should have written "Two burning eyes are searing you to ash" or some such thing. Fires don't tear, dammit!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2009, 19:07

Well, we both know (and meybe all of us here on this board know! :D) that Mike is not a great lyric writer - he's a musician and a composer; he started writing lyrics because the music industry he was in needed songs with lyrics, and maybe he still does because of the same reason. I think it's OK for him to write metaphorically, but only as long as he's talking about things he knows: things like affection ("Holy"), jealousy ("Crime of Passion"), family ("Man in the Rain"), higher hopes ("Bridge to Paradise"). Whenever he goes out of things like those, we get lyrics that are quizzical at their best ("Hostage", the one you mentioned, or "In High Places") and nonsensical at their worst ("When the Night's on Fire", the sung part of "Crises" and the topic song, "Northpoint") - all this IMHO, of course. :) Even a song like "Moonlight Shadow", which received all of its well-deserved amount of acclaim (and it still does) for its tunefulness and sheer musicality, is not that great from a lyrical point of view - it's very confusing, and I think even fans know that. ;)

I never gave much importance to the lyrics to "Gimme Back" - I file them in his silly category, much the same one as "Don Alfonso", "Innocent" and "To Be Free". :D

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2009, 19:47

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 26 2009, 19:07)
, is not that great from a lyrical point of view - it's very confusing, and I think even fans know that. ;)

Hmm, I'd be wary about equating lyrics' being confusing with their not being great... if you were to do that, you'd get rid of virtually every TS Eliot poem! Feel free to provide more detail, Ugo - I sense a good discussion here!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 05:53

Well, first of all I'd be wary about equating lyrics and poetry at all. Pop lyrics were never intended as poetry, and apart from very few examples, they never were. :) And anyway,  people like T.S. Eliot and Ezra Pound made a point out of being confusing - it was one of the features of their style. :)

As for a detailed analysis of the lyrics to MS, I'd be going way off-topic if I posted it here. Maybe I shall open a new topic...

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 14:19

I have never been to Northpoint. Nor did I spend my time and pray. My loss I suppose.....Life goes on.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 14:29

PS: I have taken it to heart and I have left for the moon. I'll leave posts once I get there, if my ISP can reach 240,000 miles(I bet they can!;). Perhaps I can find more aliens to trade for cash.....

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 18:17

@ Jim: I'm truly amazed that you managed to find some sense in the lyrics to "Northpoint". :laugh:

P.S.: I've never been to Northpoint as well. But I guess I don't really want to, so I don't regret it. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 20:53

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 27 2009, 05:53)
Well, first of all I'd be wary about equating lyrics and poetry at all. Pop lyrics were never intended as poetry, and apart from very few examples, they never were. :) And anyway,  people like T.S. Eliot and Ezra Pound made a point out of being confusing - it was one of the features of their style. :)

As for a detailed analysis of the lyrics to MS, I'd be going way off-topic if I posted it here. Maybe I shall open a new topic...

The trouble is, if you don't assess lyrics as poetry, then whatever way is there to evaluate them? You can really only say "I like them" or "I don't". This is fair enough, but many people find it rewarding to engage with the words on a richer level, and the tools of poetry provide the obvious way to do this. And with regard to what was "intended", the New Critics Wimsatt and Beardsley in the 1930s took a pretty severe sledgehammer to the whole idea of authorial intention! Have a look at their essay "The Intentional Fallacy".

Eliot sought to be allusive, not confusing. He expected his reader to be intensively well-read and thus to be able to notice the literary signposts he was erecting.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2009, 18:06

Maybe I expressed myself badly on both points. What I meant to say is that song lyrics cannot be compared to poems because of a couple of reasons: 1) what a poem sounds like is often just as important as what it means [e.g. there was a poem by Rimbaud - I forgot its title - where each and every vowel sound was associated with a specific meaning, and allitterative consonants also served this purpose], while with lyrics (which are meant to be sung) sometimes the meaning is subordinated to the sound of the words, to the way they sound; 2) when I said that pop lyrics aren't intended as poetry, I was referring to things that various singers/songwriters [we call them cantautori] used to say in the past - in the Seventies, for example. There were the two big Italians, Fabrizio de André and Roberto Vecchioni, who were firmly against the idea that song lyrics should be equated with poetry; in spite of this, their lyrics were often printed in school literary anthology textbooks - as poems. Of course They were very resentful about that: they said that they chose to be singers/songwriters and not poets because the words wrote were meant to be heard together with the music, they were meant to be heard as a part of a whole - not on their own. de André also said: "Up to 15 we're all poets. After 15, only two kinds of people write poems: poets and idiots. That's why I call myself a songwriter." :D People like Paul McCartney and John Lennon wrote songs and not poems because it came natural for them to write words to a musical beat. (OK, Lennon wrote short nonsensical poems as well, but IMHO they're not on a par with his lyrics.) In other words, what I meant to say is that I always conceived song lyrics as belonging in a separate world from the one of poetry. Some lyrics, of course, may be very poetical - check out Van Dyke Parks' "Surf's Up" for Brian Wilson. But even "Surf's Up", by the writer's own admission, is a song lyric - not a poem. "Poetry is just something different from what I write," he says. :) However, this is just my conception of things. It may be, of course, because of my education, which is one of the things that have ingrained in my mind the idea that poetry and lyrics are somehow widely apart from each other, and cannot be reconciled.

About Eliot, what I meant to say is not really that he wanted his poetry to confuse his readers - I was saying that he wrote extremely complex stuff, and sometimes (always IMHO) the complexity of what he wrote had no point except for itself (complexity for complexity's sake). Of course one had to be intensely well-read to follow Eliot's train of thought. I am well-read :), but whenever I go through The Waste Land there are always a few lines here and there that really make me want to have a quick glance into the footnotes [either Eliot's or the editors'...] to get a grasp on what the f*ck he was trying to say... :laugh:

EDIT: As an addendum to the above, Tears for Fears' "Sowing the Seeds of Love" - again, by the writers' own admission - is a typical example of a song lyric where the way it sounds is much more important that what it means. Roland Orzabal described it as a "towering, elaborate, imposing, Beatle-esque pop song where the lyrics are just clustered - piled on top of one another." :)

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2009, 20:21

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 28 2009, 18:06)
EDIT: As an addendum to the above, Tears for Fears' "Sowing the Seeds of Love" - again, by the writers' own admission - is a typical example of a song lyric where the way it sounds is much more important that what it means. Roland Orzabal described it as a "towering, elaborate, imposing, Beatle-esque pop song where the lyrics are just clustered - piled on top of one another." :)

Yes, I think the question of word sound has vexed people even in the "serious" music arena. AE Housman, for example, was incensed when Vaughan Williams set his poems to music; to him, the word sound had been stifled by Vaughan Williams' super-added music. And Schubert is renowned for making musical silk purses out of poetical sows' ears. I suppose the conclusion to be reached is that there is no conclusion to be reached, and probably never will be!

Of course, there are a few examples in pop where the musicians set existing poems to music (implying that pop lyrics can, after all, be considered as poetry): Mike's setting of Longfellow in Incantations is one, of course. Hawkwind also set Longfellow in  "Assault and Battery" on their (rather fun) Warrior on the Edge of Time album; and Syd Barrett set James Joyce's "Golden Hair" in his first post Pink Floyd album.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2009, 20:44

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 25 2009, 23:43)
:D :laugh: There goes Mike and one of his absolutely best songs IMHO with one of his absolutely worst lyrics IMHO. :D

I totally and amazingly agree with you, Ugo.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Balbulus Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2009, 17:28

I actually like "North Point", it's one of the only tracks on that album I actually like. The whole album has a certain nostalgia for me that takes me back to a particular point in my childhood, but the actual tracks themselves I'm not keen on.

"North Point" however has a haunting, almost gothic feel that I really love. I didn't know what the lyrics were about until reading about the North Point prison on here the other day. I used to write fantasy stories as a child, and I included a place called North Point in one of them; a suitably desolate and tragic place as befitting the feeling of the song!
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2011, 14:20

Quote (Balbulus @ Sep. 12 2009, 18:28)
"North Point" however has a haunting, almost gothic feel that I really love. I didn't know what the lyrics were about until reading about the North Point prison on here the other day. I used to write fantasy stories as a child, and I included a place called North Point in one of them; a suitably desolate and tragic place as befitting the feeling of the song!

Thats the advantage of strange/odd lyrice, it can take on its own meaning for yourself.
Speaking of North Point, who is the woman in the video? Is it Anita?

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2011, 17:59

@ Delfín: thanks very much. :)

@ Kiwwy: yes, it's Anita. I think the video is "average" for Mike, i.e. just an ordinary music video. But the fact that it was included in the Wind Chimes collection is remarkable by itself.

--------------
Profile PM 
17 replies since Aug. 24 2009, 17:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net