Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hats off to Mike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Holger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 06:40

The new album contains some super intriguing stuff. I congratulate Mike.

Cheers, Holger.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 06:47

Me too, well done Mike and thank you :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 07:03

Heard L+S for the first time and expressed "applause" to M.O for that was how I genuinely felt at that presice moment - now just had to come back to say,yes indeed hats off to mike - would gladly take mine off too(if I wore one) :D
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 07:19

yes indeed! Takes my hate off too,  and i thank mike's for keep playing and recording! Good work!
I havent meet one of my friends that dont like the album either! I had a tranceloving friend in my house yesteday for dinner and chilling and he loved L+S! So i did copy a cd of mike and gave him it. I think mike gets more new fans with this exciting new album. This is something new and thats good! Probable will hes next album be more exciting because no tres lunas song will appear on it and that will give it a new face. I just thinking loud, but will next album be a chill out?

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 09:24

Quote (Tubularman @ Oct. 08 2005, 15:19)
yes indeed! Takes my hate off too,  

Interesting spelling error TubularMan - I also take my hate off and say i love this album - especially SHADE  :cool: Well done Mike!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 10:17

L + S is a very good album, it's been a long time than an album doesn't make me feel addicted to it like Shade does.One of Mike's best since Tubular Bells III,like I said earlier.

At the moment,Shade does for me fine fine fine,but Light is also good.Me more into Shade mood than Light.

Mike,you've done it!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 11:27

Quote (timshen @ Oct. 08 2005, 09:24)
Quote (Tubularman @ Oct. 08 2005, 15:19)
yes indeed! Takes my hate off too,  

Interesting spelling error TubularMan - I also take my hate off and say i love this album - especially SHADE  :cool: Well done Mike!

hate ha ha!! well that was a good one!  :laugh: my hat of course!  ;)  :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 04:37

A positive thread! woo hoo lol

i like this album also, its taking longer to grow on me than previous releases but its getting there! lol

;)

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
MikeAholic Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 04:59

I too find this a very good album.

On almost every album there are pieces that I skip or at least find below par, and this album is no exception, but it's still Mike, although not the Mike of 20 years ago. But who is the same as 20 years ago ? I am certainly not. If I would be a mucisian, I would certainly not make the same music as 2 decades ago, for sure. I don't know why a lot of people expect Mike to.

It's indeed nice to see a positive topic here  :)

--------------
I sure hope that Mike realises what joy he brings to us !
Profile PM WEB 
Jools Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 06:26

I also like L+S, very much in parts. My view is there's a very good single album in there if the dross was removed.

Having said this I would expect that, with the passing of time, maturity and an increased experience and understanding of music and the world, an artist's output should become more sophisticated, ambitious and complex. However this doesn't seem to be the case with Mike (perhaps concern about the impact of a "complex" album on sales is the problem) and I would question whether an album like L+S will stand the test of time in the way that a good number of of his others have.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 10:09

Yes, hats off and bowing deeply. Mike is a genius and deserves much respect. The album has a special place for me. I really appreciate it's sense of peace. Will listen to it a lot over the years. It will be interesting to see how it is perceived in the future.

I actually saw one of those Blacbird motorbikes the other day parked opposite my house. It was beautiful and I felt rather fond of it, knowing it had a piece of wonderful music written about it! I would never even have noticed it had I not heard that track. And that's what I love about his music, it makes you aware of all kinds of things ..listening to it opens your eyes and your heart.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 10:42

I'm always happy to take my hat off to Mike - he's responsible for so much musical pleasure during my life that I'd be willing to take off any number of hats for him. And the new album has some lovely things that I'm delighted to have. Unfortunately it also has an unusually large number of tracks that I just can't bear - but no matter. That's what CD burners are for - right?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 14:11

Sometimes a simple melody catches me on than a complex one that it's not well structured. Most tunes on L + S do fit in this description perfectly.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Oct. 24 2005, 23:45

Woohoo! Way to go, Mike!!

Just finished First Listen a little while ago. Apparently my soul needed something like that and I didn't know until hearing it. I had hoped for music interesting enough to pull me to the dance when I really shouldn't, and oops....it had that effect. <currently icing the knee but oh well>  It's going to be a lot of fun to play with, actually, and I can see using it in the "Dancing Away the Winter Blah's" program my scout troop is hosting in January. It's going to be wonderful to run with, though it will have to be transfered to a different format (to avoid changing discs).

BTW....I heard traces of Taurus/Orabidoo in "Angelique" and twiddly bits ™ of QE2 in "Nightshade." Am I hearing things? I look forward to more discoveries (other than that I'm hearing things) . :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2005, 05:57

Yeah, it's not so bad after all!! Very good, actually!
All the thousands of posts saying it was bad made it rather difficult to think for yourself... but it sure has grown on me and there are some true classics on it!
Mike won't let us down... :)

Oh, yeah, btw, please go to the Micellaneous section, to the Members Photographs thread and post your picture! I'm curious what Mikes' fans look like! (so far they've all been pretty! :D )

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
14 replies since Oct. 08 2005, 06:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net